ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I clipped mine on my wrist and hooked it to the case and doing in on the table is just fine

I put mine on my ankle, it really doesn't matter where on your body it is and I connect it to my radiator (not a pc rad, an actual central heating radiator). and your front room should be ok.

Just make sure your strap is connected to something grounded, like a plugged in powersupply or metal kettle stuff like that.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Because it's fairly relevant, is it really necessary to use an anti static strap? I just touch my case every once in awhile...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Because it's fairly relevant, is it really necessary to use an anti static strap? I just touch my case every once in awhile...

As long as you're not on carpet and wearing socks you should (generally speaking) be okay. Do note that carpet is a pretty bad building environment regardless and I wouldn't recommend it.

Though to be safe you should use an anti static wrist strap.

As long as you're not on carpet and wearing socks you should (generally speaking) be okay. Do note that carpet is a pretty bad building environment regardless and I wouldn't recommend it.

Though to be safe you should use an anti static wrist strap.

We have all wood flooring here. Usually put my case on the floor on it's side on top of a small carpet to give it some (mental) cushioning. I don't think there's that much of a static issue here but I could be wrong.

I also put the fluffy pomeranians in another part of the house.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

well my floor is wood, but has carpets that can be removed

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Some antistatic bands are wireless I suggest one of these.

If you have a wired one atach to your case or a grounding plug.

I built mine on my kitchen table, and the flooring was tile. I just touched the case every once in a while to be safe..

Some antistatic bands are wireless I suggest one of these.

If you have a wired one atach to your case or a grounding plug.

I thought of pairing this with my left handed screw driver.

I can see you can buy them, but seriously? Working on the Corona Discharge Effect??! Just earth yourself.

Not in the slightest. As long as you're not wearing socks or a wooly sweater or a fleece of some description you will most likely be absolutely fine.

When I use it, its wrist and lamp. I've also built one PC on very thick carpet covered with cardboard. And I usually fix my main PC either on my bed or on floor with smaller carpet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would quite like to point something out here in regards to static.

wool carpets do not generate static. in my house, I have all wool carpets (this may not b a thing an America), and i have not been able to generate any static from the carpets in my house. I have in other peoples houses, they have synthetic carpets.

it is only synthetic materials that generate static

• 2 weeks later...

I've never used any antistatic wriststraps in my life and I had 0 problems. But I touch a metal (case) surface before I work with the components :)

I built my first computer over carpet which was not very smart, but just touched the case every now and again. Luckily everything was ok and booted on first try. Now, I usually clip my wristband to the case I'm working in or the case of an adjacent pc.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Clip it to anything grounded and made of metal, and strap it to your ankle so that it's out of the way.

If you're working on a hard floor, you shouldn't need to worry about any of that stuff, but it is better to be safe.

• 4 weeks later...

And if not, what is your technique of preventing damage?

I'll be building soon, my floor is carpet, my desk is a chipboard type material with a hard-plastic coating on it.

Sadly, I don't, but I will, everyone knows you don't mess with high-end hardware  B)

I have built all of my PC's on a card table, covered in newspaper (or on bare hardwood) whilst in my basement (A warm room also works), so it isnt dry. Also, just touching a powered PSU or metal will de-shock you, pre say. That my prevention without wasting 20$ on BS.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Nope, if however I fear I have gained a static charge, I will ground myself on something metal. Example being, plug in your PSU but don't turn it on and then touch it.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I like to be safe, so I do.  I know that there is virtually no risk, but still, I like having it.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I don't.

Simply touching the case now and then will equalise any charge difference between you and the case.  Whilst actually building I am pretty much constantly in contact with the case any way

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I don't use an anti-static wrist strap I just touch the back of my computer

same here, it's too much hassle imo, when you can rather do something like this to get the job done,

Details separate people.