Tesla Model 3

1 minute ago, Burusutazu said:

I think its fine w/o the grill. It's not there to maximize range. They might offer a fake grill option like is standard on the S. (The S grill is just black smooth plastic)

Ya, that's what I was hoping would happen. I just want them to add a smooth plastic to the front of it. Also, now Im going to be seeing Tesla more often than ever. I see literally a least 5 a day at where I live. 

8 minutes ago, ValidAsian said:

Ya, that's what I was hoping would happen. I just want them to add a smooth plastic to the front of it. Also, now Im going to be seeing Tesla more often than ever. I see literally a least 5 a day at where I live. 

Someone in my hometown owns one but It's rare to see it out. I've only seen it twice in the past 3 years. You would expect Georgia would have a decent number of electric cars but they stopped the incentive right when they started to sell. If they still had it this car would only cost me 22k usd.

Lord of Helium.

7 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

From what I understand Tesla will deliver the car if your not immediately available to pick it up at a Tesla Center (they may or may not charge you for the delivery). The 3 will be available to anywhere you can buy a S or X. 

Yeah, I just meant. I know they will cost 35k USD, I have no idea how much they'll cost in the UK. Other than saying it it will be more expensive than a straight conversion ( £24,640). Also, they're due to ship late 2017, but all previous models of Tesla's have shipped to Europe significantly later than their US release.

Not to mention the UK drives right-hand drive, so there's that obstacle too. I think I'm correct in saying the Model S came out in the UK 2 years after the US.

I'm gonna put a Tesla on my shopping list for about 2025 I think :D

1 minute ago, Murdoch said:

Yeah, I just meant. I know they will cost 35k USD, I have no idea how much they'll cost in the UK. Other than saying it it will be more expensive than a straight conversion ( £24,640). Also, they're due to ship late 2017, but all previous models of Tesla's have shipped to Europe significantly later than their US release.

Not to mention the UK drives right-hand drive, so there's that obstacle too. I think I'm correct in saying the Model S came out in the UK 2 years after the US.

I'm gonna put a Tesla on my shopping list for about 2025 I think :D

I don't know the numbers, but it's probably much easier to convert to right-hand drive since it uses electronic steering. Tesla's website also estimates the Model X to start shipping this fall. Which is under a year later than the US for comparison. Tesla keeping up volume output is going to be the big factor for the wait.

Lord of Helium.

2 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Not in cities, not in the UK where a large chunk of the housing stock pre-dates the horseless carriage. They still build houses and flats without off road parking, at least they do in Bristol & Bath. Off road parking is a especially rare in London, the city that needs electric cars most.

Hm well here in the north having a drive is totally normal, and on the outskirts of most cities, and most towns and villages etc which is still a good chunk of the population

plus with quick charging you only need like 30 mins to fill the car to get the full range so can just do that once a week when commuting

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 01/04/2016 at 7:15 PM, dalekphalm said:

I'm totally onboard with the design, except the dashboard. I have no problem with the centre tablet in the dash - but I do have a problem with the lack of normal dashboard gauges in front of the driver.

I drove a Toyota Yaris a few times that had the "centre dash" concept, and I absolutely hated it. It's terrible driving design. I have to look to my right, away from where I'm driving to see my current speed, etc.

Now, if this thing also had a HUD on the windshield, then I'd be totally fine with no driver-side dash.

Jesus, if it had a HUD on the windshield I'd be fine if it didn't have a car. 

- snip-

i'm not asking for a dasboard like bmw i3,but damn,give us something. it looks so frustating to use and look at while driving

The numbers are certainly impressive. $35,000 for a 350km range is pretty sweet comparing that to the Model S base model at around $60,000 and 380km range. This car, while still not entirely affordable full cash, it at a much more attractive price point for monthly leasing on a 3-4 year term. 

This price point also makes it more attractive for a larger number of people, the sales of which will drive future innovation to solve some of the key challenges: battery capacity, and charging. Superchargers (0-70% in 30 mins), while impressive, are still not attractive for long road trips (although the proportion of people who need to do frequent road trips is very small, majority of people drive no more than 100km per day). 0-70% in 5-10 minutes would be a nice goal to achieve combined with an increased range. 

$1000 to reserve it for a 2017-18 delivery is very tempting, honestly. Anticipating it to be about $50,000 CAD. 

For those saying Electric cars will never take off: it's never too early to begin paving the way for alternative energy options. If we rely solely on gasoline powered vehicles until we use up the earth's non-renewable oil reserves, we would be left with nothing, and we will be completely fucked. Development and adoption of alternative energy solutions now will save us in the long run. By starting development early, by the time oil does run out, we will have a mature alternative to fall back on.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I think its a shitty car, this is coming from a massive tesla fan.... i love the model s series and x but why is no one pointing out the flaws with this car? Is everyone fucking blind? For 35K ITS NOT THE BEST VALUE. JUST BECAUSE TESLA SAYS SO....DOESNT MEAN IT IS. I can get a ford focus rs for example 35k and does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and has a way better range? Okay thats ONE example if only you do a little research on all 35k cars youll see theyre faster and obviously longer range due to gas... and at this point dont say its electric so thats a plus because its not... im in calgary one of the few important cities in canada and theres not a single supercahrger... like really? Its a fucking hassle. SO point is tesla 3 is NOT THE BEST VALUE/MONEY.

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

1 hour ago, Zaryab said:

SO point is tesla 3 is NOT THE BEST VALUE/MONEY.

No. Its isnt for YOU, not everyone

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

The Dash killed it for me. not having the vital information right in front of you in outright dangerous and only exists to make a symmetrical design.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

1 hour ago, Zaryab said:

I think its a shitty car, this is coming from a massive tesla fan.... i love the model s series and x but why is no one pointing out the flaws with this car? Is everyone fucking blind? For 35K ITS NOT THE BEST VALUE. JUST BECAUSE TESLA SAYS SO....DOESNT MEAN IT IS. I can get a ford focus rs for example 35k and does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and has a way better range? Okay thats ONE example if only you do a little research on all 35k cars youll see theyre faster and obviously longer range due to gas... and at this point dont say its electric so thats a plus because its not... im in calgary one of the few important cities in canada and theres not a single supercahrger... like really? Its a fucking hassle. SO point is tesla 3 is NOT THE BEST VALUE/MONEY.

Ford focus rs.....is smaller..........and is more of a sports car....this is a sedan........... to differnet leagues. 

15 hours ago, Zaryab said:

you really cant compare gas and electric cars in terms of timings and range they are running two different fuels. Plus the ford focus rs is a small light hot hatchback with a decent amount of power while The tesla model 3 is a heavy (think of all the lithium ion batteries) luxury sedan with a decent amount of power. these really are not comparable cars.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Tesla be like, what's a speedometer?

Add a bigger tablet pls

16 hours ago, Arty said:

Ford focus rs.....is smaller..........and is more of a sports car....this is a sedan........... to differnet leagues. 

Well, the focus is a sedan too...I mean the specific model he gave is a 4 door hatchback but the focus is basically the same size as the model 3 (which has been compared in size to both the mazda 3 and the BMW 3 series). However, considering its price it's definitely going to be listed in the luxury small car category...the BMW I mentioned starts at around the same price as the tesla whereas the mazda 3 starts at 17k. So yeah..."affordable" and "for the masses" are relative terms here...you can't really fault Musk for thinking 35k is affordable, he owns a car manufacturer and his "other car" is a space rocket company.

There's only so much you can do to keep a quality car cheap, especially a quality electric car, and tesla needs to start making money or else they'll go under.

21 hours ago, Zaryab said:

Honestly, the Focus RS and this car aren't in the same league at anything other than being a relatively small car. Even more so that we're talking about the Focus RS. That car is a damn hot-hatch, heck, it can be considered a hyper-hatch. The Model 3 is not sold as a sports car, and all the numbers we have right now are for the base model.

Nevertheless, superchargers are, I think, Tesla's biggest issue in places other than US, Norway and such. They need to expand their infrastructure.

As far as "affordable" car goes, I don't think this is quite there yet. 35k is not the price of a cheap car. It's not expensive either. Rather, it falls in that "premium yet still affordable" category, competing against the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 series to name a few. It's not a car that everyone could afford, but it's a car that most people could afford, at least in the US or other countries with high income. There still are cars @~15k like the Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus which are definitely more affordable than the cars mentioned thus far, but they aren't considered premium either. Heck, "the car of the people", the Volkswagen Golf, starts from almost 20.000 nowadays, iirc? Nevertheless, go lower than that and you get into budget territory. A truly "for the masses" car would be a budget car, but that would not be viable for Tesla.

The price point for the Model 3 is, I think, really good only in the US (and maybe Norway and other countries like that). In Europe the base model would probably end up at 40.000-45.000 Euros, and add to that the current state of their supercharges and yeah...it doesn't become a great deal. Plus, the German myth is still going strong here so...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

22 hours ago, Zaryab said:

I really must agree with @Maybach123, these cars are incomparable. If you were looking at the Focus RS, then you need or want a different kind of car then the Tesla Model 3. You would be better off comparing it to a low-mid trimmed Ford Fusion, for example. A fairly large, relatively luxurious 4-door sedan, with a traditional trunk space.

That would be like saying "The Focus RS is a MUCH better deal than the VW Passat!" Well no shit, if cost was all you had in mind. But there is more to a car than cost, and even more to a car than performance, too.

7 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

you really cant compare gas and electric cars in terms of timings and range they are running two different fuels. Plus the ford focus rs is a small light hot hatchback with a decent amount of power while The tesla model 3 is a heavy (think of all the lithium ion batteries) luxury sedan with a decent amount of power. these really are not comparable cars.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Something that concerns me about this car is the display and what they choose to display on it. Tesla confirmed that the Model 3 will support their autopilot infrastructure, but where will everything pertaining to that be displayed? Although the UI is far from final, engineers at the event stated that the interior design in terms of features is practically final. Despite the matter, this is one of the few concerning factors about Model 3, aside from production complications. 

i know there has been a lot of talk about the interior my guess is they will  add a display in the usual position as an optional extra.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

6 hours ago, MarthiniL said:

Tesla be like, what's a speedometer?

Add a bigger tablet pls

It's definitely different, like how some people were mad when all touch phones came to market, we don't like change too much. Elon Musk has said the dashless design it will make sense in the Part II of the unveil, so we'll see. Also reservations are up to 276k by the end of Saturday if anyone was curious.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

6 minutes ago, Arty said:

Interior isn't done yet

ya thats what i assumed. Thanks for confirming it 

7 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

ya thats what i assumed. Thanks for confirming it 

well we will have to wait for part 2 to see what it will probably look like 

I don't know how I didn't see that the interior design screams HUD. Going to die now... 

3 hours ago, captainespinoza said:

I don't know how I didn't see that the interior design screams HUD. Going to die now... 

If so... ermergerd

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.