Another Crowd Funded disappointment?

The crowd funded project " Ampy" has been a bitter disappointment to backers. Some have called it

"An Overpriced brick"

Or

"a deadweight"

The "Ampy" was meant to be a battery bank that would charge via motion. The way it would achieve this is by internals magnets that would create a current to store energy. Although the battery could also be charged via plug, the Kinect charging has been its strongest selling point but its terrible!

Ampy claims

:I seems that was a lie however:

"One reviewer, after far more technical tests than mine, and a teardown of the device itself came to the conclusion that it would take "36 hours of activity" to fully charge the Ampy battery itself. "

This means that you'd most likely die by exhaustion before getting your phone fully charged. IT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT!!

Original Link: BBC NEWS

Ehhhh source?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

4 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

Just updated it, I forgot the source, but its in now BBC News

Include this quote from the article to seal the deal

One reviewer, after far more technical tests than mine, and a teardown of the device itself came to the conclusion that it would take "36 hours of activity" to fully charge the Ampy battery itself.

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Include this quote from the article to seal the deal

1 hour of smartphone battery for 1 hour of exercise? That sounds terrible from the start. Sun powered battery bank could do that without the sun. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, ZetZet said:

1 hour of smartphone battery for 1 hour of exercise? That sounds terrible from the start. Sun powered battery bank could do that without the sun. 

And it was actually worse, it would take 13 hours of activity to charge a iPhone 6 as per the source! I would be surprised if it ran more than 8 hours on a full charge, so that's almost half the already disappointing claim.

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

"One reviewer, after far more technical tests than mine, and a teardown of the device itself came to the conclusion that it would take "36 hours of activity" to fully charge the Ampy battery itself."

This is from the articale

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

And it was actually worse, it would take 13 hours of activity to charge a iPhone 6 as per the source! I would be surprised if it ran more than 8 hours on a full charge, so that's almost half the already disappointing claim.

Indeed, but it's just the beginning of a Kinect charging. I hope it has a bright future, so far it looks bleak

11 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

Indeed, but it's just the beginning of a Kinect charging. I hope it has a bright future, so far it looks bleak

it's physics. the thing is small and it doesn't move much, there is no energy to collect there. 

imagine how fast you need to spin a bicycle dynamo to even light a tiny bulb. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

17 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

it's physics. the thing is small and it doesn't move much, there is no energy to collect there. 

imagine how fast you need to spin a bicycle dynamo to even light a tiny bulb. 

But with development it could improve. Whether that be with smaller more powerful magents, or a form of nano technology. I probably sound like an idiot, but it seems reasonable 

Problem with crowdfunding is that most of the time it is people who do something for their 1st time or people who just plain BS to get your money.

Recently I've watched a video about a pen that can copy any colour by touching it and then use the colour to write/draw. Forgot what it is called but some googling showed someone attempting it back in 2014 and getting cancelled by kickstarter.com 

There are some brilliant ideas and a bit of trial. But failure rate is pretty high on products that people really really want. (Laser Razer etc....).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

Problem with crowdfunding is that most of the time it is people who do something for their 1st time or people who just plain BS to get your money.

Recently I've watched a video about a pen that can copy any colour by touching it and then use the colour to write/draw. Forgot what it is called but some googling showed someone attempting it back in 2014 and getting cancelled by kickstarter.com 

There are some brilliant ideas and a bit of trial. But failure rate is pretty high on products that people really really want. (Laser Razer etc....).

I agree! If I were to fund a project, I need some track record for delivering on their promises 

39 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

But with development it could improve. Whether that be with smaller more powerful magents, or a form of nano technology. I probably sound like an idiot, but it seems reasonable 

mass and distance can't increase, speed of movement can't increase. nothing can improve.

Spoiler

Why did people expect this to work out? I have learned to never back something with technology that currently doesn't exist in the mainstream market because shit like this happens. If it's crowdfunded and sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true ;)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

You have to see this from another angle: This thing helps you lose weight and workout if you have to exercise for 13 hours if you want to charge your phone.

Imagine parents using this to motivate their children to do more sports ;D

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

Isn't this basic physics? The amount of KE within that device would be tiny. Not to mention the poor conversion of storing such energy into other forms.

On 23/03/2016 at 8:13 PM, Mo_z_Art said:

You have to see this from another angle: This thing helps you lose weight and workout if you have to exercise for 13 hours if you want to charge your phone.

When the charger is unable to restore the electricity used from listening to music while exercising, that makes it kind of pointless :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 23.3.2016 at 8:13 PM, Mo_z_Art said:

Give them something that charges while jacking off. That's most likely working out.

On 3/23/2016 at 8:14 AM, Prysin said:

why are people stupid enough to believe in this kinda shit?

But it has magnets! How do they work? They are magical! So it must be true!

On 3/23/2016 at 6:16 AM, ZetZet said:

mass and distance can't increase, speed of movement can't increase. nothing can improve.

This is why I hate the internet. People argue things like physics, assuming they can change.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But it has magnets! How do they work? They are magical! So it must be true!

Magical magnets!