How To: Basics - Installing a video card

wait why is there a freaking chop saw blade on the wall

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

7 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

wait why is there a freaking chop saw blade on the wall

you know, typical PC tools.  I mean, have you see their videos? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

After watching, my only real criticism is you guys didn't actually point out what a 6pin pcie power connector looks like on a card, you just slid a b-roll image across the screen without a big red arrow or something of that nature, and you didn't point out what a full length pci-e slot on a mobo looks like either, just said "it's the longest one"

vague things are vague and create frustration for how-to basics.  Especially when the voiceover of the pci-e video card connector started with the video card fan header in the focus area (centre of the screen)

@nicklmg

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Video about how to install graphics card with an ad for graphics card. Coincidence? Although I'd be surprised if anybody is buying a GTX 980ti as their first graphics card they ever install.

4 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Then this topic wouldn't exist because only "LTT" videos get topics in the official forum. All others don't deserve official topics and must be made manually by users in a different section of the forum.

so you mean we wouldn't have had this discussion?

that's terrific!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 hours ago, EricX2 said:

Video about how to install graphics card with an ad for graphics card. Coincidence? Although I'd be surprised if anybody is buying a GTX 980ti as their first graphics card they ever install.

It actually was a coincidence, funnily enough. By the time I realized and thought about changing it it was pretty much too late lol.

obvs channel growth is a thing and newb intake is good cause they'll go watch the older stuff and/or stick with the channel as they get into pc, but for an ltt vid i did feel it was under done. someone above mentioned adding specific labels for parts referenced in the voice over ie pcie power and slots... which is i think a good idea if you're specifically aiming the vid at newbies and seems like the kind of thing pro's wouldn't think to mention.

aside from that though, and taking into account @nicklmg 's comments, it might be an idea to flesh out the manufacturers software info a bit. Luke mentioned the geforce install extra's but only in saying you don't need them. maybe info on what they are or why they're irrelevant could be a good follow up vid same for amd software.

Really just suggesting fleshing out the video with a little more of the basics. It would be easy enough to do in this vid with something like 'if you only wanted to see how to install your done, but keep watching for more info about xyz' after the main bit was done. Im sure luke could do it off the top of his head with no trouble so i wouldnt think scripting would be an problem.

also someone should go help the person in the windows section of the forum who tried to use DDU and bricked their system. it might be an idea not to mention software that can do that in a vid aimed at newbies.

I spotted a mini easter egg in this how to basic video. :D

Watch this and you'll get it.

TL:DW?

In the how to video, we see a Nvidia card has been swapped out with a AMD one. And during the extraction of the DDU software, it was under C:\User\Taran. This is basically a reference to that prank, Nick did to Taran for a year, where Taran though it was Nvidia drivers that's causing the weird problems. So now Taran is changing the gpu and using ddu to uninstall the offending drivers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 16 mars 2016 at 6:31 PM, nicklmg said:

People keep referencing our build videos, which are not searchable at all for individual parts installs and do not replace the purpose of this video.

Either way, the simple answer is we're testing new formats here in Q1 to see what works and what doesn't. If you didn't like it there will be plenty more content for you to view soon :) 

Please don't stop this series. Turn off the comments on the video and continue, just because many people dislike it doesn't mean many others don't like it. Don't listen to the haters!

On 16/3/2016 at 6:58 AM, Moonzy said:

how to basic: removing a gpu

on vessel next week

because someone ripped out their pci-e plastic thing by pulling out their graphics card :I

to be fair those things are damn delicate

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

31 minutes ago, evensstevens said:

Why are so many people hating on this video/series? If you don't want to watch it...then don't watch it.

Don't make me enforce Godwin's Law.

Yes please, more of these!

Perfect playlist to have for friends building for the first time. And, per usual, very good production quality. Just because crappy McDonald's cheeseburgers exist (Aka, crappy videos), doesn't mean there is no reason for better burger places to exist (aka, good videos). 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

The series needs a new name if it continues tbh. Especially since there is an already popular youtube channel called "howtobasic."

Clearly I wasn't the only one expecting for the video to include eggs being thrown at a gpu. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys i am pretty newbie and i would really need your opinion on something that has been bothering me while watching this video.I am currently building a new computer and right now i got every part except the cpu and gpu.The thing is that i want to save money by not purchasing an OS and use my existing windows 7 licence which i have on this pc i am using right now to upgrade to win10 for free while installing Ubuntu here.By that time(July 28th which is the time limit for the free upgrade) i will only have the CPU purchased.So here are my questions.If i use that DDU software..the intel option is for the integrated graphics right?Also when i get the nvidia GPU and do the same thing with DDU and install new drivers..the nvidia drivers and the intel ones wont cause problems between them right?And when i install the windows 7 and upgrade to win 10..on the installation(upgrade not clean install) the drivers will not be affected right?Thanks in advance i am pretty nervous for my 1st build its a little bit off topic but i really want to be sure for everything i do.

LTT is so predictable. "How to Basic: How to power on a PC" 

Intel i3-4160 - Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 - Asus GTX 750Ti OC - Corsair CX500M - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5" - WD Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" - CoolerMaster Hyper 212x.

This vid should've had guide for built in liquid cooler graphic cards. Those are coming more than ever. Even with SLI / crossfire techniques