i7 6700K VS i7 4790K

Go to solution Solved by l_zheng101,

Between the 6700k and the 4790k, I would chose the 6700k because it has more overclocking consistency.Since you only plan to game, I would actually recommend the Intel Core i5 6600k because it's still quad core that can be overclocked to hell. You lose out on the hyperthreading but games don't even use it more than a couple of threads.  

Guys-6700k and 4790k are more or less around the same price.I want to know which one is better FOR GAMING ONLY.

Price need not be considered.

If you know about a better CPU for a lesser price, please tell me.

Thanks in advance guys!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your just gaming get a 6600k or 4690k. Whatever's cheaper. The 6700k is faster than the 4790k.

4790k is cheaper by around 50$ here in India.

Neither.

They're both almost exactly equal.

If you pay out the ass for some really fast ddr4, then the 6700k pulls very slightly ahead, but that's it.

Save your money, and get the xeon 1231v3. It costs the same as an i5, but is literally just a 4790 without the integrated graphics; and since you'll have a dedicated gpu, that doesn't matter at all.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

11 minutes ago, Vishal Gupta said:

Guys-6700k and 4790k are more or less around the same price.I want to know which one is better FOR GAMING ONLY.

Price need not be considered.

If you know about a better CPU for a lesser price, please tell me.

Thanks in advance guys!

for gaming only dont even bother with a i7 games cant take advantage of hyperthread cores so its pointless in spending that money for a hyperthread cpu save money get i5 and spend more on a gpu

just get a 4690k or 6600k

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

for gaming only dont even bother with a i7 games cant take advantage of hyperthread cores so its pointless in spending that money for a hyperthread cpu save money get i5 and spend more on a gpu

Which i5 would be the best? Lets leave price for a moment. And another question.

Whats hyper-threading really for?

16 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Neither.

If you pay out the ass for some really fast ddr4, then the 6700k pulls very slightly ahead, but that's it.

Save your money, and get the xeon 1231v3. It costs the same as an i5, but is literally just a 4790 without the integrated graphics; and since you'll have a dedicated gpu, that doesn't matter at all.

Wish I'd known that when I was building my rig...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

6 minutes ago, Vishal Gupta said:

Which i5 would be the best? Lets leave price for a moment. And another question.

Well, the 6600k is best, but it means using DDR4 RAM and it's probably more expensive than a 4690k which is very nearly as good. 

9 minutes ago, Vishal Gupta said:

hyper-threading creates 4 additional (lets say fake cores) so the logical cores not physical so they dont exsit in a physical way no relly sure how to explain that but ye it turns a 4 physical core cpu in to a 8 logical core cpu

what it does is helps share the load so help your cpu manage multitasking or programs that are cpu whores better so ur programs are never waiting for the cpu to be free to acsese the resource hope that makes sence so its just a way to help the cpu manage task better ( in basic terms i mean it is alot more complicated than that but ye its more for people who use alot of cpu power like video editors and engineers who use cad software ect)

you dont need that for gaming because games only use mainly 1 core for there processing it can spiller other to other cores but its mainly done on the 1 (direct x 12 will change that so it uses all cores but still hyperthreading wont be needed for that and dx12 wont be adopted on all games for another year+ so)

and to answer your question about which is better i5 either the 4690k or 6600k you wont notice any diffrence in gaming prefromance so which ever is cheaper

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Just now, Matt100HP said:

Well, the 6600k is best, but it means using DDR4 RAM and it's probably more expensive than a 4690k which is very nearly as good. 

I think I should stick with 4790k so that I can just futureproof myself. Game debate too says that:-

"In terms of overall gaming performance, the Intel Core i7-4790K 4-Core 4.0GHz is massively better than the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz when it comes to running the latest games. This also means it will be less likely to bottleneck more powerful GPUs, allowing them to achieve more of their gaming performance potential. "

Just now, Vishal Gupta said:

I think I should stick with 4790k so that I can just futureproof myself. Game debate too says that:-

"In terms of overall gaming performance, the Intel Core i7-4790K 4-Core 4.0GHz is massively better than the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz when it comes to running the latest games. This also means it will be less likely to bottleneck more powerful GPUs, allowing them to achieve more of their gaming performance potential. "

thats bullshit i7 with a gtx 980 vs a i5 with a gtx 980 will have no diffrence in gaming preformance maybe 1 or 2 fps due to teh slightly higher clock speed but just overclock the i5 that why you buy the K sku cpu and also you cant future proof hardware changes that quick trust buy a pc for what you need now and upgrade when your pc can no longer run games so every 3-4 years normally

2 minutes ago, Ykno said:

hyper-threading creates 4 additional (lets say fake cores) so the logical cores not physical so they dont exsit in a physical way no relly sure how to explain that but ye it turns a 4 physical core cpu in to a 8 logical core cpu

what it does is helps share the load so help your cpu manage multitasking or programs that are cpu whores better so ur programs are never waiting for the cpu to be free to acsese the resource hope that makes sence so its just a way to help the cpu manage task better ( in basic terms i mean it is alot more complicated than that but ye its more for people who use alot of cpu power like video editors and engineers who use cad software ect)

you dont need that for gaming because games only use mainly 1 core for there processing it can spiller other to other cores but its mainly done on the 1 (direct x 12 will change that so it uses all cores but still hyperthreading wont be needed for that and dx12 wont be adopted on all games for another year+ so)

and to answer your question about which is better i5 either the 4690k or 6600k you wont notice any diffrence in gaming prefromance so which ever is cheaper

Haha.Now you have really confused me!

Thanks! Nice explanation.

Just now, Vishal Gupta said:

Haha.Now you have really confused me!

Thanks! Nice explanation.

ha sorry i was typing fast as im at work but ye bassicly dont worry about hyperthreading you wont need it for gaming

2 minutes ago, Vishal Gupta said:

They're wrong. I'm sure there are certain games where the i7 is noticeably better, but it's sure as hell not generally the case. At stock speeds the i7 will be faster, but only because it's clocked higher from the factory, so has less overclocking headroom.

just stick with haswell i5 for a cheaper build and buy a better gpu or go for the skylake i5 again save and buy a better gpu but just no a skylake build will cost more due to it needing ddr4 and newer motherboards ect so haswell i5 is the best bet to save money and the prefromance diffrence is so small you wont tell the diffrence its like 1-5fps max so ye just buy a i5-4690k

Man this forum is so full of misinformation. The 6700k is quite a bit better cpu than the 4790k. Check out the results for Far Cry 4, which is dominated by performance on a single core, so see how much better Skylake's IPS is over Haswell's.

28 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Neither.

The 1231v3 is not a 4790, it's 200 MHz slower.

If you can afford it - get an i7.  If you end up playing a game, and having something running on a second monitor, or just in the background, chat programs, skype, AV, or even a browser to access information or watch a stream - the extra logical cores helps a crap ton.  And definitely go for a 6700K if you can afford it - in terms of expand ability / last ability - Skylake is the path to go.

Between the 6700k and the 4790k, I would chose the 6700k because it has more overclocking consistency.Since you only plan to game, I would actually recommend the Intel Core i5 6600k because it's still quad core that can be overclocked to hell. You lose out on the hyperthreading but games don't even use it more than a couple of threads.  

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man this forum is so full of misinformation. The 6700k is quite a bit better cpu than the 4790k. Check out the results for Far Cry 4, which is dominated by performance on a single core, so see how much better Skylake's IPS is over Haswell's.

i dont think im givien misinformation at all i said that the skylake will have better fps than the haswell which that video you linked clearly shows but it not a noticeable diffrence say if he games on a 60hz monitor he wont see any diffrence on a cpu and gpu combo that put out over 60fps

so that why im telling him you can buy the haswell save cash get a better gpu as you wont notice a diffrence from haswell to skylake there is a slight diffrence but not one you can really see on real world scale

Also, high quality DDR4 isn't much more expensive than high quality DDR3. I'd easily pay $10 for the upgrade.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-10 11:40 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-10 11:42 EST-0500

42 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Neither.

23 minutes ago, Ykno said:

19 minutes ago, Ykno said:

thats bullshit i7 with a gtx 980 vs a i5 with a gtx 980 will have no diffrence in gaming preformance maybe 1 or 2 fps due to teh slightly higher clock speed but just overclock the i5 that why you buy the K sku cpu and also you cant future proof hardware changes that quick trust buy a pc for what you need now and upgrade when your pc can no longer run games so every 3-4 years normally

7 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

6700K and 4790k equal? i7 and i5 have no difference in performance? Games don't use hyperthreading? Where did you get those silly ideas from? You people obviously have no idea what you're talking about, please do a thorough research first. Thank you.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

For gaming only? Get an i5-6600K. If you think you might eventually want to get into media editing, recording your play, rendering, then spring for an i7. Which one is purely subjective. I'm still of the opinion that Haswell is better bang for the buck, but prices for Skylake components continue to come down to a point where I'd strongly consider it if I were building a PC today. The Xeon E3 1231V3 is a solid Haswell chip, but its lack of overclocking support means it will fall by the wayside before an i5-4690K or i7-4790K would.

If all you're doing is gaming, save some cash on your CPU by going with an i5 and put that savings into a better graphics card. The $100 spread between the i5 and i7 could be the difference between an R9 380 and R9 390, or a GTX 960 and GTX 970.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.