Alternative CPU Air Coolers and Heatsinks

sysloc

So if you've read through this topic whatsoever, it becomes clear that there are a few fan favorites and first choices that are agreed on by anyone. These specifically are the Noctua NH-D14 and also the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and 212 EVO. Now, I said those just because they are pretty much legendary, and for everyone on the forums, pretty much choose one or the other if you ask them. But what I want to find out is what are some other choices or special ones that maybe only you and a few others agree on. Those coolers that maybe aren't in production anymore or are really hard to find or are outdated, put them down on this thread. (except for stock Intel or AMD coolers and third party direct equivalents) Please also put some back story and reasoning as to why you like a specific cooler, don't just put the name down. Maybe even some temperature/results from your example and scenario. With water cooling and AIO cooling becoming more of the obvious choice when it comes to CPU cooling, let us get some useful information down here for the future, if for some reason you just need a damn good air cooler!

Handy link: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#w=0&sort=d3&xcx=0

Mentioned on this thread: Updated 9/17/2013

*Added when mentioned more than once.

- NZXT HAVIK    +3

- Be Quiet! Dark Rock - 3 different variations +2

- Xigmatek Dark Knight w/non-stock fans  +3 

sysloc

Artic cooler freezer 13. I just love its design, it uses a 80mm fan to push air into V shaped fins. On top of this it fitted perfectly my black and white color scheeme (on my new towe I added blue too, so it is not as nice any more).

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

the xigmatec dark knight, i love this cooler. i preforms surprisingly well,i can get my 3570k to 4.6Ghz with 78c at full load. plus it looks so,so good 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Xigmatek-Dark-Knight-1155/dp/B007PYMZAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1379112819&sr=1-1&keywords=xigmatek+dark

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

To be totally honest I wouldn't suggest anything other than the hyper212, unless you want a different air cooler for a specific reason (cosmetics).  I see very little reason to buy the expensive air coolers, just get a h80i or something otherwise...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

there are alternatives but they are not as good.

i think you should take a look at the silverstone heligon he01

also I have heard some good things about the be quit! dark rock pro 2

http://be.hardware.info/productinfo/benchmarks/19/cpu-koelers?tcId=312&specId=10797

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.net

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.net

cpu: Intel sandybridge-E 3930k @ 4.2Ghz

cooler: corsair h100 @ full speed push-pull

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

gpu: 2x EVGA GTX660's & 1x EVGA GTX980

ssd: 2x samsung 256GB 840 pro raid 0

ssd: 1x samsung 1TB 840 evo

hdd: WD green 3TB

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st1000dm003)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st31000520as)

psu: corsair ax1200i

ram: 8x 4GB corsair platinum @1866mhz

case: coolermaster cosmos II

monitors Main: 8x LG 22EA53 1080p 60hz

monitor Extra: 1xiiyama prolite G2773Hs 1080p 120hz 27"

keyboard: logitech g19

mouse: corsair m60

Lenovo T550

RaspBerry pi webserver:

Nas:

StatusOffline.

PC straight to the modem/router/switch/DHCP-Server/... with a 20cm (+-8inch) cat6a patch cable because same price as cat5.

ISP: Telenet (belgium)

Speed: 60Down-4Up (+- 45€/month)

ping to there servers: +-8ms

ping to other Belgians: +-12ms

- wheels for cosmos II

If you want to get a good idea about everyones favourites you should set up a poll and see what you get. 

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

If you want to get a good idea about everyones favourites you should set up a poll and see what you get. 

Problem with that is I would have to enter hundreds of options. I'm on a hunt for other peoples favorites, not just what everyone agrees on from what is listed or asked about.

sysloc

I would take the Phanteks PH-TC14PE over the D14 any day. However I am not in the States therefore I cannot buy a Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, well I could but it costs too much after fees and stuff.

If I was looking for a single tower cooler I would get the Archon SB-E X2 or the Noctua NH-U14S/U12S.

Zalman has some mad looking coolers as well.

e hyper 212 has a terrible mounting system and even though it does perform well the are cheaper coolers that are just as good as well as more expensive ones that are better than the nhd14. It's just people don't read up to date cooler reviews. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=2330&subid=2666 these are new to ocuk and in a test that a forum member did the middle one was beating hyper 612s temps and that higher end one was getting the same temps than some dual tower coolers.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

+1 to the NZXT Havik 140. It should be noted that you can use fans with this cooker other than he 140mm ones that come with it. My only gripe with it is that the rubber fan mounts have deteriorated and broken... zipties ftw!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

e hyper 212 has a terrible mounting system and even though it does perform well the are cheaper coolers that are just as good as well as more expensive ones that are better than the nhd14. It's just people don't read up to date cooler reviews. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=2330&subid=2666 these are new to ocuk and in a test that a forum member did the middle one was beating hyper 612s temps and that higher end one was getting the same temps than some dual tower coolers.

Agreed. The 212 gets far too much credit - it's a solid budget cooler but it has eclipsed a lot of excellent alternatives for no good reason.

Added:

-NZXT HAVIK

-Phanteks PH-TC14PE

-Be Quiet! Dark Rock

-Cooler Xigmatek Dark Knight

sysloc

Agreed. The 212 gets far too much credit - it's a solid budget cooler but it has eclipsed a lot of excellent alternatives for no good reason.

It depends--I'm hoping the $25 after MIR deals comeback.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't know why in the hell Corsair stopped selling them...

Corsair Air A50 / A70.

Slightly smaller version of the 212 EVO, but still pretty damn fine.

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

I'm personally rocking a Thermaltake Frio in one of my systems. (I got it from Fry's when they had a HAF 932 + Frio CPU cooler bundle...for like $70?)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

The Silverarrow SB-E Extreme by Thermalright performs even [slightly] better than the NH-D14, and design-wise is on a whole other level.

I use a Noctua NH-U12S and I think its an excellent cooler. Keeps my 4770k very cool and is dead silent even at full load.