A Regular Inkjet Printer Can be Used to Spoof Galaxy S6's & Honor 7's Fingerprint Sensor

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/inkjet-printer-spoofs-smartphone-fingerprint-scanners-678289/

Researchers at Michigan State University demonstrated how easy it is to trick the fingerprint sensor found on S6

A regular inkjet printer using conductive inks can be used to print fingerprints on paper and unlock fingerprint scanner-equipped phones including the Galaxy S6 and honor 7.

The scariest part of this demonstration is that the phones are unlocked with a piece of paper. It works because the researchers use a conductive ink and paper by a company called AgIC. The entire process can reportedly be completed in 15 minutes.

Fortunately, the researchers admit that the method cannot be used to unlock all phones, but warn that as OEMs improve anti-spoofing techniques, so too will hackers develop improved hacking strategies.

This is just absurd. While everyone craps on Apple for pretty much everything atleast they take these kind of things seriously.

I'm honestly surprised that it took this long for someone to actually test fingerprint sensors on other phones. Hopefully this sparks interest to check out all other fingerprint equipped phones

The whole "people can print out fingerprints" argument is kind of bullshit

If somebody picks up my phone that fell out of my pocket on the street... they do not have a perfect back up copy of my fingerprint on file ready to print out

if somebody wanted to force me to unlock it they could just hold my finger on the sensor, the same as forcing me to tell them my pin number

It doesnt make this tech "less secure"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

If somebody picks up my phone that fell out of my pocket on the street... they do not have a perfect back up copy of my fingerprint on file ready to print out

if somebody wanted to force me to unlock it they could just hold my finger on the sensor, the same as forcing me to tell them my pin number

finger print is definitely less secure than a pin. They can cut your finger off. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

finger print is definitely less secure than a pin. They can cut your finger off. 

they can put a gun to my head, or social engineering to find my memorable number or look over my shoulder to get my password

also a cut off finger technically would not work, since they have a capacitive surface so dead flesh would not activate teh sensor, also I know the iPhone model reads subdermal prints which cannot be read from dead tissue (maybe if its fresh i dunno)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Seriously, nobody has a picture of your fingerprint they can just print out after stealing your phone. Never gonna happen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

Yeah and they can waterboard you too, nice shitpost.

well, if they kill you that doesn't give them the pin

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

also a cut off finger technically would not work, since they have a capacitive surface so dead flesh would not activate teh sensor, also I know the iPhone model reads subdermal prints which cannot be read from dead tissue (maybe if its fresh i dunno)

If a finger can be reattached after 12 hours im pretty sure it would still work for the scan, but i will admit, not willing to test this.

4 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

Yeah and they can waterboard you too, nice shitpost.

Not really, zet has a point. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/fingerprint_merc_chop/

Although its old news, that shit did happen. Nothing to stop idiots from trying to hack off a persons finger to try and unlock a phone. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, JorithZ said:

If a finger can be reattached after 12 hours im pretty sure it would still work for the scan, but i will admit, not willing to test this.

Are you sure? ill get my saw

True, but still, i doubt people are willing to do that just to access your phone haha and they could easily just cut you and make you give them your pin

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Not really, zet has a point. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/fingerprint_merc_chop/

Although its old news, that shit did happen. Nothing to stop idiots from trying to hack off a persons finger to try and unlock a phone. 

A $70k merc is not a smartphone, 99% of criminals will not want to cut off peoples fingers to nick their phone

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

A $70k merc is not a smartphone, 99% of criminals will not want to cut off peoples fingers to nick their phone

The 1% of the idiots are still there. Peeps have already sold organs for a smartphone. Nothing to stop an idiot from just merely taking a "finger". 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

15 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

The 1% of the idiots are still there. Peeps have already sold organs for a smartphone. Nothing to stop an idiot from just merely taking a "finger". 

its highly unlikely and still im sure a mugger could get your pin if he holds a knife to you

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

its highly unlikely and still im sure a mugger could get your pin if he holds a knife to you

Yes its very unlikely, but nothing to stop an idiot from doing it. A mugger already has a knife, he/she can also take a finger. 

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

This is just absurd. While everyone craps on Apple for pretty much everything at least they take these kind of things seriously.

Android Authority did not include this piece in the article, but some websites like QZ did:

Cao told Quartz that the spoof worked on the iPhone during an earlier attempt, but it didn’t work when he tried to replicate the result for the technical report. “We unlocked it at the start of the project, but when we prepared the report, I could not unlock the iPhone. I used the same protocol and method. I’m not sure why it didn’t unlock,” Cao said.

So yeah... It works on the iPhone too. Just with a lower success rate (not to mention all the other ways someone can bypass it).

Fingerprints, regardless of what technology you use, are terrible as password replacements. Wanna know what happens when your password gets compromised? You change it and carry on with your life. Wanna know what happens if your fingerprint gets stolen? All devices you use fingerprint scanners on will forever be comprised and there is nothing you can do about it.

They are good as usernames, or in combination with a password, but not as passwords on their own.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

SNIP.

True but the problem is when a password is stolen, it is changed and your recovery options updated so you cannot even change it

50 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

some governements do.

and they could acess. oh idk tons of locked phones for information

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

some governements do.

and they could acess. oh idk tons of locked phones for information

Dunno look at the Apple case, clearly they couldnt, and they probably had the fingerprints on file

16 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Dunno look at the Apple case, clearly they couldnt, and they probably had the fingerprints on file

iOS requires pin after a set amount of time or after a restart. I believe it's 24 hours as i often hit this limit on my iPad Air 2. So even if you have prints you can't log in. Does finger print login expire on Android devices or that facial image unlock? If not then that is a security hole, which would let the FBI get right in and never have to even start a legal case with Google. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Old news this, been the case with so many finger print sensors, as soon as you can lift a decent enough print you can touch it up, print it out and use it.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

5 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

iOS requires pin after a set amount of time or after a restart.

True

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Android Authority did not include this piece in the article, but some websites like QZ did:

So yeah... It works on the iPhone too. Just with a lower success rate (not to mention all the other ways someone can bypass it).

Fingerprints, regardless of what technology you use, are terrible as password replacements. Wanna know what happens when your password gets compromised? You change it and carry on with your life. Wanna know what happens if your fingerprint gets stolen? All devices you use fingerprint scanners on will forever be comprised and there is nothing you can do about it.

They are good as usernames, or in combination with a password, but not as passwords on their own.

Notice that they're talking about the 5S here.And even that with very mixed results. Probably the same case with iPhone 6 as they're the same sensor.

But the 6S does have the 2nd generation version which is (in my experience) much faster and far more accurate and I can't seem to find any article claiming they spoofed the 6S sensor

As long as sensors get accurate enough with time i dont think its a bad PIN replacement. Obviously have three different sets of passowrd is much safer than one password and its the same case here except it gets better and better every generation without making it unintuitive 

A fingerprint scanner isn't something done to make a device secure. It's created so people can't access your phone in simple situations.

Let's say you are at work/in school, you leave your phone unattended for a minute, and your classmate/co-worker won't be able to check what message you've just received, look at your pictures, or just prank you by changing a setting. This could also be applied to friends and relatives, that you may not want messing around with your device.

This can also prevent a low tier burglar to access private data.

However, if people are expecting this method to make a device safe, then they just didn't get the point.

exactly replicating a fingerprint from a grimy source actually takes a couple of days on a even a moderate to pro level most of the time , This is under controlled environment, plus one still have to reconstruct the fingerprint through image editing software since most of the source is partial, the usual scenario is deterring quick access by someone close to you accessing the data that's all, no matter how "secure" they make it there is always a way to replicate & gain access if given enough time & resource

Details separate people.