Disappointed

Rosabonita

I know there are trolls on the net and I know that some of you are going to troll this post. That's fine. I just need to say my piece.

Ive been watching Linus for a long time now. I literally watch every dag, usually while I'm working on a repair project. I find it informative and fun. So, after much hesitation, I decided to join the much-praised tech tips forum. 

I'm sure that the majority of people integrate into the forums just fine and, doubtless, a lot of counter examples will be offered up to refute my experience: my noob experience has been unwelcoming. So much so, that if I didn't love the show so much I would not only retreat from the forum, but stop watching all together. 

It started as nothing major, nothing I felt too discouraged about, just a lack of responses. That's something I expected, it's a natural response to new posters I expected. But, my experience this morning has left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I wanted to make a new post on the raspberry pi 3 announcment. Like most on here, I'm looking for like minded people who share my interests. Seeing as my previous posts didn't generate much of a response (again, understandable), I opened the new post page and spent a good amount of time deciding what to say. In the end, I didn't say much, but what I had hoped would be enough to generate a discussion on the Iot possibilities with the new pi 3. It did garner responses, but not the ones I was hoping for.

Apparently, a long time poster had also posted an article about the pi 3 whIle I was compiling mine and took it upon themselves to tell me as such, rather brusquely. Being a new poster myself, I was unaware both of their post in the intervening time and the fact that posts on the same topic weren't allowed and apparently this was a reportable offense.

Again, being new here, I'm not sure why such a mistake on my part would generate such a brusque reponse as it did, but I did my best to diffuse the situation. I tried to explain what had happened and express my enthusiasm that they were also enthusiastic about the announcement. This did not engender a positive response.

Now, I know that some will take this as an extended diatribe on minor instance (i.e. butt hurt ) and for that reason I was really reticent to make any sort of statement. However, I really do love the show and want not only to be a part of this forum community, but to also see it grow. I understand that it is not a mandated responsibility of the community to be welcoming, to express understanding, or to be forgiving to misteps. It is, however, a self-defeating practice to maintain an acrid environment as it is only with community growth and participation that the forums and the show can continue to grow and succeed. Persons not part of the core demographic are just now being introduced to this community and that diversity helps improve the quality of the dialogue. To this end, it would be beneficial to be nice to noobs and perhaps ask moderators in particular to be aware of said noob status when interacting with members.

Thanks for reading.

Tldr; let's create a welcoming environment for noobs

Yeah it's not the best community, many of my mates have come and gone from here.

I like it more than Tom's Hardware that's why I still post here.

I completely agree, but I do want to say that your situation may be out of the norm.

I joined last month (and have ~700 posts already, I'll leave it up to you to decide if I have a life or not :P) and my first post was a question about Crossfire. I received maybe 5 posts on that (decent I think) and some pretty informative responses. Most people just don't start out on the news subthread.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about here though. Your post, which got off topic, was closed just for that reason. It got off topic because someone else had posted a thread, which may or may not have existed before yours and commented on your post. I think that the only person in the wrong is he/she who commented on your post about his/her post. 

It's not practical to give special treatment to noobs because if we don't hold everybody to the same level, then this forum will become a cesspool of excrement, much like some other forums I don't care to name.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

You seem to take your anger out on the forum, while it was only a single member who may of provoked you. I can understand, but you do have to realize that people can be assholes, and you will find them on this forum.

Also, I personally feel this community is nube friendly. When I was 11 or so, I would triple post threads, bump after a minute, and so on. I felt like the mods did a fair job with my immaturity.  

Lastly, you can't expect a widespread of people to be interested in the content you produce, no matter the effort put in. Besides, having people agree with your opinion is something much, much different, and you will rarely see that. 

All in all, good post, I agree to an extent, and good effort, nice post to read.

Meh, many people here who have been here a lot just can't seem to welcome new people or understand that not everyone knows everything.

Sorry you had such a rough start, I saw your post about the R Pi 3, but wasn't really interested enough to post on it.

Anyways, about news posts: it's sometimes annoying, the repost stuff.. because sometimes people just post the topic with a title and the post itself just says "editing this now" so they are basically just occupying the subject so no one else can make a news post about it.

Once again, sorry it all went this way. Some people just have to understand that not everyone knows the ins and outs of this site.

Consider this post a late "welcome to the LTT Forum!" post :D 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yep that's the "news" forum.  Everyone rat races to be first and is a complete gunch about it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yeah the way certain people handle reposts is ridiculous.

No I don't want 5 people to tell me. One nice comment is fine especially if the user put effort into the news thread.

Just now, Pearsonia said:

No I don't want 5 people to tell me. One nice comment is fine especially if the user put effort into the news thread.

Lord help you if you post something that should probably be in a different forum too.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Lord help you if you post something that should probably be in a different forum too.

Some people need a life outside this forum. The things I'd say to some people on here would get me banned instantly!

Either way that's just life. I like to concentrate on the good part of the forum which is the nice people!

I'm a moderator myself on another forum. From experience I can tell you this: have fun and don't let stuff like that get you down.

Some people just fuss over the most pointless things, and its even more pointless to be affected by them.

Don't let it bother you to much, some people on here just like every forum will say or do mean things and try to belittle people just to make their little egos bigger. There are also a lot teenagers on this forum, and while many many of them are very mature there are a lot who still have a whole lot of growing up to do and it is all part of life. I also notice by location you only live a few hrs drive from me, so welcome from another south eastern US resident. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

First thing first, welcome to the forum! 

Secondly, you really should stop obsessing over who is new and who is old on the forum. I think it would be for the best in general if people paid less attention to who posted something, and more attention on what was actually being posted.

Thirdly, making new posts in the news section is not a good idea. Everyone just spams new threads whenever something happens (like the Pi launch) and without mods removing duplicates we would have like 3-4 threads about every single piece of news. It would be a disaster. I recommend you don't make threads in that particular subforum before you get a feel for the community and way things work. Otherwise you will probably end up disappointed again. 

That should not concern you that much.

I have 3 People on my ignore List since i joined, because their BS became too annoying. Overall the People here are cool. Depends on the Age tho. 13 Year old Kidos will react different than 30+ old People.

And welcome btw. ;)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

There are assholes everywhere and this forum is no exception. Moderators are human and some are nice and some are asses, some are more or less mellow....just like non moderators.

Personally, this forum is much better for discussions and participation than Tom's hardware, Anandtech being somewhere between the 2. Overall it's a good place. It seems like you had a bad day today but it's not the norm around here IMO.

I'm not sure what you expect as good amount of replies. Some threads get few (under 10), some few more (2 pages). It really depends if subject is interesting or if there's people who can assist.

As for your actual issue with Pi3. Since you didn't mention which subforum you posted it on, I will assume it was TN&R based on context. That is particularly harsh subforum for newbie. Because of two reasons. Thats forum which, if lucky, will give you fame and mention on WAN show. Thats why everyone and their mother want to be the original poster for certain news. Secondly it has very strict guidelines and people who report about misuse aggressively.

If you would have posted that as general discussion topic on Hobby Electronics subforum, I would say it would have got more and more positive responses. After all, thats the place where those who are interested about topic will hang out. Once again, there's no need to get sad if you don't receive massive amount of replies withing few hours. This is international forum and most interesting threads get 10+ replies withing 24h.

As for the other poster. They have right to report anything they think is violating CS or subforum specific guidelines. They aren't allowed to shout about it to you, to insult you or make you think they are superior because of post count or join date. If you see this kind of posting, report them yourself and moderators will sort things out.

In all, I hope you enjoy your time here. There are always idiots within community this big. There are also people who are misinformed and spread that misinformation because they don't know any better, or people who have weird reasons for posting to new threads (not descriptive title, not enough responses, not seen in Recent Topics listing etc.).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, Rosabonita said:

Being a new poster myself, I was unaware both of their post in the intervening time and the fact that posts on the same topic weren't allowed and apparently this was a reportable offense.

I reported the thread in hopes that mods would merge the two threads into once since they both had content to add (and having two threads on the same topic hurts both threads and discussions). I'm not sure why it turned into something more than it did but this definitely shouldn't have a been a "I'm right and you're wrong" situation. @tobben's response may appear unfriendly, but it was a very neutral albeit blunt response which makes it easy to construe it negatively.

-KuJoe

The only advice i can give you is to STAY AWAY from the audio subforums, it's the most toxic, obnoxious community and you will hate everything audio related if you ask the most basic question there

Some members albeit being quite skilled, act all fucking smug about it and are definitely not newbie friendly

I understand that it is not a mandated responsibility of the community to be welcoming, to express understanding, or to be forgiving to misteps

Well, this is pretty much what we aspire to be. This forum has been

around for a few years now, and has had a tremendous growth in

that time. In my opinion it is respectably large at this point, but people

have different browsing habits and not every subforum, or every topic

generate as much activity as the other. 

As @KuJoe said, having multiple threads on the same topic is likely

to only segregate and spread out the discussion. Likely lowering the 

overall quality of both threads. You shouldn't consider it as much "a

reportable offense" as it is simply a measure to try and keep the forum 

somewhat orderly and productive. If you felt it was more than that, i 

apologize. 

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but there is this post from

linus in the off topic section.

The off topic section can also be used for new members to introduce

themselves and such. All of that said, welcome to the forum.

18 hours ago, Pearsonia said:

Backseat moderating can be abit of a problem, and doesn't give a

very good impression to new members(especially). Which is why it

is prohibited by the community standards. Report it and and the

mods will handle it.

Surprise bro, people are dicks. Even if you mean well you can't change them. Welcome by the way :)

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

16 hours ago, Rosabonita said:

Tldr; let's create a welcoming environment for noobs

Welcome, but..not possible, people suck. Best bet nine times out of ten is to just search for a thread with the topic you want to discuss (that hasn't died, necroing blows :() because you'll never know what discussion has already been going on.

Plus people here get super duper butt hurt over things like duplicate threads and what not so.. yeah..

I've had a few people beat me to the post on the Tech News section and had my fair share of rude "REPOST" replies. Just learn to not let it get to you and the forums arent so bad.

Rude / Mean / Trolly people are everywhere, on every discussion board. I tend to stay out of posting news- you're never first ;(

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

this forum is a pretty chill place.

maybe there are a lot of obnoxious people in the audio subsection. And the moderating is extremely strict in the 'Tech News & Reviews' section. Apart from that it's a pretty chill place.

with regard to lack of responses I know what you mean. Sometimes I make very high quality posts and get no responses and sometimes I type some casual off the cuff stuff and generate activity... That's how it rolls no point worrying about it.

28 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Plus people here get super duper butt hurt over things like duplicate threads and what not so.. yeah..

ya people feel that it's taking over potential activity from the original thread and diluting the discussion potential