Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too

Samsung's current market strategies of their Galaxy phones are really targeting the iPhones. Since Apple launch the iPhone 5s with a 64-bit processor, Samsung now said their next smartphones will have 64-bit processors as well, although it won't be achieved in a short while.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/12/samsung-64-bit-cpu/

inb4lawsuit

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

apple will sue them , they invented 64bit phones

No it didn't, Nvidia talking about Denver for years now (and it's not the only case of mentioning 64-bit ARM design in the works).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Of course they will, problem is I'm not sure if Google cares enough to go 64 bit next year, maybe with Android 5.0 Lemon meringue or whatever it will be called, I guess that might warrant a major name change.

inb4lawsuit

I'm pretty sure neither company was the first to introduce 64 bit OS and/or hardware... but I guess Apple wasn't the first company to use a rectangle with rounded corners...

No it didn't, Nvidia talking about Denver for years now (and it's not the only case of mentioning 64-bit ARM design in the works).

Yeah ARM have been trying to tempt manufacturer to go 64 bit with their ARMv8 architecture for quite some time actually.

apple will sue them , they invented 64bit phones

You can't patent 64 bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Strangely this is the most impressive thing I have seen from Apple for a few years. I know other companies have talked about 64-bit ARM-based processors but Apple have got it in to a device first.

Now, as ridiculous as it may be, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple brought a lawsuit against the next phone manufacturer to have a 64-bit processor also. They will find some ridiculous technicality somewhere to try and screw someone over.

of course they have to have 64-bit if their competitor has one too

its not that

ARM already said they have ARMv8 capable socs

like the A57 available for a long while now

and since samsung only has a license to make ARM socs and not create ones like qualacom then its the next step anyways

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

its not that

ARM already said they have ARMv8 capable socs

like the A57 available for a long while now

and since samsung only has a license to make ARM socs and not create ones like qualacom is then next step anyways

I wasn't serious, it was an apparently badly worded joke about little kids always wanting what others have too

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Strangely this is the most impressive thing I have seen from Apple for a few years. I know other companies have talked about 64-bit ARM-based processors but Apple have got it in to a device first.

Now, as ridiculous as it may be, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple brought a lawsuit against the next phone manufacturer to have a 64-bit processor also. They will find some ridiculous technicality somewhere to try and screw someone over.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a50/cortex-a57-processor.php

64bit is old news ....

not to mention samsung made all the socs apple used to begin with

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If Samsung stopped worrying about having a "check" next to a feature on a spec sheet, then they might actually make a decent phone some day!

The reason Apple does so well is because it's not playing into the same game everyone else is.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

not to mention samsung made all the socs apple used to begin with

You say that as if to suggest Samsung design them. 

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Samsung builds them for Apple. ARM doesn't make any CPUs. Just the designs. Then they allow manufacturers to make them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

what i meant was

it wasnt a surprise like what websites were showing 

As of yesterday Apple owns 64 bit on anything that has 4 corners.  They invented this *in British accent cause it sounds better* innovation through meticulous design and re-engineering /sarcasm

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Samsung builds them for Apple. ARM doesn't make any CPUs. Just the designs. Then they allow manufacturers to make them.

Ye i know :)

I thought he was suggesting it's a rebranded Samsung product. 

what i meant was

it wasnt a surprise like what websites were showing 

Sorry i don't understand? Do you mean phones going 64 bit? It's been talked about online for some time now. Honestly, i expected Samsung to be their first, what with their specs over function strategy.

Yes i hate Samsung incase no one noticed. :P They should stick to memory and displays (not the over-saturated ones!)

Ye i know :)

I thought he was suggesting it's a rebranded Samsung product. 

Sorry i don't understand? Do you mean phones going 64 bit? It's been talked about online for some time now. Honestly, i expected Samsung to be their first, what with their specs over function strategy.

Yes i hate Samsung incase no one noticed. :P They should stick to memory and displays (not the over-saturated ones!)

well

S2 was a dual core A9

S3 was a quad core A9

S4 is a big little (arm design) A15+A7

the S5 will be a A57 big little design too 

i dont mind samsung but for some reason they are sticking to that ugly gingerbread bloated looking touchwiz with their stupid gimmicky  features

after flashing the latest CM10.2 on my friends S3

it was just insanely fast and beautiful

im buying a nexus5 as soon as it comes out

EDIT

what i meant was

people thought apple's A7 was something out of this world

even though ARM was talking about 64bit a while ago

people mistake anything apple does as an innovation

and its starting to annoy me

I love Samsung's "me too" attitude.

Way to go Samsung, way to go...

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows smartphone hardware. Cortex A57 and Cortex A53 are scheduled for release next year and the specs for those has included 64bit support for like a year now.

is there even a short term benefit to 64bit?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

is there even a short term benefit to 64bit?

If done properly, 64 bit can result in drastically improved performance. Example, the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer performs twice as well as the 32 bit version in every task but one.(can't remember the task)

If done properly, 64 bit can result in drastically improved performance. Example, the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer performs twice as well as the 32 bit version in every task but one.(can't remember the task)

but is anybody going to even bother working on the apps to take advantage of it?

If apps are currently running "fast enough", would there even be an insensitive to implement it?

What can it do operationally that 32bit can't?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch