Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too

but is anybody going to even bother working on the apps to take advantage of it?

If apps are currently running "fast enough", would there even be an insensitive to implement it?

What can it do operationally that 32bit can't?

64 bit can address more than 4GB of RAM natively. However, on phones, this isn't used. Is 64 bit going to be utilized properly with apps? Maybe. The term "fast enough" is changing because hardware is always advancing. Once people experience something faster, they want it to stay that fast or get faster. 64 bit - if done properly - will allow smartphones to become faster. It may not be utilized that much, but some devs may take advantage of the 64 bit architecture.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

64 bit can address more than 4GB of RAM natively. However, on phones, this isn't used. Is 64 bit going to be utilized properly with apps? Maybe. The term "fast enough" is changing because hardware is always advancing. Once people experience something faster, they want it to stay that fast or get faster. 64 bit - if done properly - will allow smartphones to become faster. It may not be utilized that much, but some devs may take advantage of the 64 bit architecture.

I'm worried that developers will release HUGE apps just for the sake of fully utilizing 64bit. I intend to get a 16Gb phone... not enough to play around with...

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I'm worried that developers will release HUGE apps just for the sake of fully utilizing 64bit. I intend to get a 16Gb phone... not enough to play around with...

Some apps become bigger when they're written to be 64 bit. Sometimes they aren't. Example: I have two versions of Java installed. One is 32 bit, and the other is 64 bit. They are both 118MB.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

well

S2 was a dual core A9

S3 was a quad core A9

S4 is a big little (arm design) A15+A7

the S5 will be a A57 big little design too 

i dont mind samsung but for some reason they are sticking to that ugly gingerbread bloated looking touchwiz with their stupid gimmicky  features

after flashing the latest CM10.2 on my friends S3

it was just insanely fast and beautiful

im buying a nexus5 as soon as it comes out

EDIT

what i meant was

people thought apple's A7 was something out of this world

even though ARM was talking about 64bit a while ago

people mistake anything apple does as an innovation

and its starting to annoy me

Yeah i knew what you meant about that. Anyone who follows tech online knows that.

Innovation is as much about execution as it is about actually inventing something. The best idea without a decent execution can fail. 

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

The thing is whats the point or having a 64bit processor and a 64bit OS if you don't take advantage of it by having decent hardware.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Are you referring to Apple or Samsung? Apple are already taking advantage of it and they says it's easy for devs to develop for both 32 and 64 in Xcode.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Hmm, hope they make a good use of that 64-bits processor. They should put 4gb+ RAM in mobile phone too, apps are getting heavier and more demanding. 

Its funny to think how these phones compare to the desktops of not too long ago.

Keep this going and we'll have octacore CPUs, dedicated GPUs, 8Gb of RAM and 4K displays just for good measure. I'm just sitting here wishing my battery could last more than a day.

• 2 months later...

Wait, isn't the A7 manufactured by Samsung anyway? 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

does even the os use this? or the apps? i dont think so..

I love Samsung's "me too" attitude.

Way to go Samsung, way to go...

really? 

It's not a "me too attitude"  it more a roll eyes begrudging move, they are forced to include hardware that is not necessary so they don't lose sales to idiots who don't understand the tech they are buying. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.