AMD’s Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Drivers Available For Download – Performance Boost In Rise of The Tomb Raider and AOTS DX12

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Drivers Available For Download – Performance Boost In Rise of The Tomb Raider and AOTS DX12

AMD has launched their latest Crimson Edition 16.2 driver which brings a range of performance increases in AAA titles along with bug fixes. The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 drivers specifically eye the Rise of the Tomb Raider and Ashes of The Singularity releases where bulk of the performance enhancements would be centered around.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Thumbnail Feature

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Drivers Brings Performance Boost, Bug Fixes and CrossFire Profiles to Radeon Users

The two key titles which will be getting major performance and quality improvements from the Crimson Edition 16.2 drivers are Ashes of the Singularity and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Since launch, NVIDIA had a upper hand in Rise of the Tomb Raider with their GeForce cards which dominated the benchmarks. The game was bundled with GeForce 900 series cards and the performance was impacted on Radeon cards mostly due to non-availability of game ready drivers. With the latest 16.2 drivers, Radeon users will see a good boost in performance with enhanced quality that will put them on par with their GeForce counter parts.

The second title to see a massive performance increase is not a fully released game (yet) but the second benchmark to Stardock’s Ashes of the Singularity title which is currently in BETA state. The title is loaded with tons of DirectX 12 goodness and unlike Tomb Raider, AMD has had pretty good driver support for the title due to them working close with the developers compared to NVIDIA which have yet to issue a capable driver for the title. The second benchmark makes use of several performance improving techniques that’re featured in DirectX 12 API such as Asynchronous Compute, multi-GPU / Explicit multi-adapter support and multi-threaded command buffer Re-ordering. AMD has demonstrated really good performance in the DX12 benchmark as can be seen in our own analysis of the Beta.

long side the performance increases, AMD also added CrossFire profiles for The Division and XCOM 2. Bug fixes were mainly focused for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 along with back-end tweaks. The 16.2 drivers will work with all GCN enabled product families which include AMD Radeon 300, AMD Radeon 200, AMD Radeon HD 8000 series, AMD Radeon HD 7000 series (desktop/mobile) cards and also Kaveri, Carrizo and Godavari APUs

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 Highlights

• AMD has partnered with Stardock in association with Oxide to bring gamers Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2.0 the first benchmark to release with DirectX 12 benchmarking capabilities such as Asynchronous Compute, multi-GPU and multi-threaded command buffer Re-ordering. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2 is optimized to support this exciting new release.
  • The SteamVR Performance Test: we are pleased to report that our Radeon R9 390, Nano, and Fury series GPUs are all able to achieve ‘VR Recommended’ status, the highest achievable level of experience possible. In addition to that, our affinity multi-GPU feature is already showing significant performance uplift over a single GPU on Radeon cards in the aforementioned benchmark

Performance and quality improvements for:

• Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Ashes of the Singularity – Benchmark 2
    • Crossfire Profiles available for
    • The Division
    • XCOM 2

Resolved Issues

• A black screen/TDR error may be encountered when booting a system with Intel + AMD graphics and an HDMI monitor connected
    • Choppy gameplay may be experienced when both AMD Freesync and AMD Crossfire are both enabled
    • Display corruption may be observed after keeping system idle for some time
    • Fallout 4 – Flickering may be experienced at various game locations with the v1.3 game update and with AMD Crossfire enabled
    • Fallout 4 – Foliage/water may ripple/stutter when game is launched in High/Ultra settings mode
    • Fallout 4 – Screen tearing in systems with both AMD Freesync and AMD Crossfire enabled if game is left idle for a short period of time
    • Fallout 4 – Thumbnails may flicker or disappear while scrolling the Perk levels page
    • Far Cry 4 – Stuttering may be observed when launching the game with AMD Freesync and AMD Crossfire enabled
    • FRTC options are displayed on some unsupported laptop configurations with Intel CPU’s and AMD GPU’s
    • Radeon Settings may sometimes fails to launch with a “Context Creation Error” message
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider – Corruption can be observed at some locations during gameplay
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider – Flickering may be experienced at various game locations when the game is left idle in AMD Crossfire  mode under Windows 7
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider – Game may intermittently crash or hang when launched with very high settings and AA is set to SMAA at 4K resolution
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider – Lara Croft’s hair may flicker in some locations if the Esc key is pressed
    • Rise of Tomb Raider – A TDR error may be observed with some AMD Radeon 300 Series products after launching the “Geothermal Valley” mission
    • The AMD Overdrive  memory clock slider does not show original clock values if memory speeds are overclocked
    • World of Warcraft runs extremely slowly in quad crossfire at high resolutions

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved “In Game Overlay”
    • Star Wars™: Battlefront – Corrupted ground textures may be observed in the Survival of Hoth mission
    • Cannot enable AMD Crossfire with some dual GPU AMD Radeon HD 59xx and HD 79xx series products
    • Fallout 4 – In game stutter may be experienced if the game is launched with AMD Crossfire enabled
    • XCOM 2 – Flickering textures may be experienced at various game locations
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider™ – The game may randomly crash on launch if Tessellation is enabled
    • Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption

Still no downclock bugfix. damn it

Source:http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.2.aspx

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-software-crimson-edition-16-2-driver/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

5 hours ago, Mr_Troll said:

World of Warcraft runs extremely slowly in quad crossfire at high resolutions

Gave me a giggle. 

They still need to fix the artifacting when placing reinforcements on the ground in rainbow six still....

Spoiler

And when you thought AMD could not gain a further advantage in AOTS

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Do anyone have any benches on this driver with Tomb Raider? I'm not really seeing any difference tbh. Maybe it's less framerate drops or something.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

2 or 3?

Cuz BF2 is bloody ancient.... but i know the pain. Me and some friends tried to play a LAN match, it was horrible

Battlefront 2 (from 2005 i think). Since Crimson there are missing some floor textures. BF2 is one of my favourite games and it sucks that that's the only one that doesn't work with latest drivers... I already reportet this to AMD as many others as well, but for an old game they won't pay attention to it I guess.... Might switch to NVIDIA since there older games don't have so much issues

5 minutes ago, testarossa47 said:

Battlefront 2 (from 2005 i think). Since Crimson there are missing some floor textures. BF2 is one of my favourite games and it sucks that that's the only one that doesn't work with latest drivers... I already reportet this to AMD as many others as well, but for an old game they won't pay attention to it I guess.... Might switch to NVIDIA since there older games don't have so much issues

You're talking about a single title. Nvidia has those problems too. They don't bother with it if it's old and/or irrelevant to most users. 

Just now, Trixanity said:

You're talking about a single title. Nvidia has those problems too. They don't bother with it if it's old and/or irrelevant to most users. 

I read in other forums that people often had such issues with AMD (also with other titles) but it was better on NVIDIA.. IDK if that's actually true since I always had AMD. I'm sure that NVIDIA has this type of issue as well on single titles but apparently it is generally less of an issue with team green... You have any experiences regarding this old titles issue?

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I Played many ancient games with NVidia card (including BF2) and I never had any problems in running, in textures nothing. sssooo yeh.

2 minutes ago, testarossa47 said:

I read in other forums that people often had such issues with AMD (also with other titles) but it was better on NVIDIA.. IDK if that's actually true since I always had AMD. I'm sure that NVIDIA has this type of issue as well on single titles but apparently it is generally less of an issue with team green... You have any experiences regarding this old titles issue?

Huge starwars fan here, can confirm that Nvidia cards run them wonderful. going down to diablo 2 which runs amazing.

1 minute ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

Huge starwars fan here, can confirm that Nvidia cards run them wonderful. going down to diablo 2 which runs amazing.

Thanks for sharing your experience.:) I almost certain that I'll buy an Nvidia card for my next build (because of this and also because I never had one)

12 minutes ago, testarossa47 said:

11 minutes ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

I Played many ancient games with NVidia card (including BF2) and I never had any problems in running, in textures nothing. sssooo yeh.

Yup. Heroes VI. Unplayable on Nvidia cards. Black textures everywhere. Just fine on AMD.

That's also what single/individual titles mean. The problems are unique to that title and/or graphics card. 

Edit: also the game isn't even that old and the problem was there only a couple of years after the release. I haven't tested it recently but at the time Nvidia (if I recall correctly) stated they were not going to fix it. 

24 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yup. Heroes VI. Unplayable on Nvidia cards. Black textures everywhere. Just fine on AMD.

That's also what single/individual titles mean. The problems are unique to that title and/or graphics card. 

Edit: also the game isn't even that old and the problem was there only a couple of years after the release. I haven't tested it recently but at the time Nvidia (if I recall correctly) stated they were not going to fix it. 

Heroes of might and magic? are you sure they haven't fixed it because I think I played that on my 660 and 750 ti back in the day... hmmmm odd, anyway its all down to prefrences really.

40 minutes ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

Just Cause 2 and Supreme commander either don't work or crash within 10 minutes on my nvidia computer, while on my amd compootah it's fine.

I'm not saying it's only Nvidia with problems, both AMD and Nvidia don't work in certain games. For example I couldn't get age of empires II and heroes of might and magic 3 to work on my amd computer (without major graphical problems), but that might be related to the OS (windows 7).

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

8 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Just Cause 2 and Supreme commander either don't work or crash within 10 minutes on my nvidia computer, while on my amd compootah it's fine.

I'm not saying it's only Nvidia with problems, both AMD and Nvidia don't work in certain games. For example I couldn't get age of empires II and heroes of might and magic 3 to work on my amd computer (without major graphical problems), but that might be related to the OS (windows 7).

yeh could be the OS really... hhmm odd anyway there is usually fix and way around for both cards ^^

I've played lots of old games on my AMD R9 290. Can't recall any issues...

14 hours ago, Notional said:

Do anyone have any benches on this driver with Tomb Raider? I'm not really seeing any difference tbh. Maybe it's less framerate drops or something.

Older GCN 1.0 GPUs seem to be showing improvement in some scenes...

Why doesn't this update show up when I click "Check for Updates" in Radeon Settings? AMD's Autodetect utility says the same. It says I currently have Radeon Software version 15.12.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Rise of Tomb Raider PC also have TressFX like the Tomb Raider 2013 ?

47 minutes ago, 7850OC said:

Rise of Tomb Raider PC also have TressFX like the Tomb Raider 2013 ?

Yes. It's called Pure Hair

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yeah umm still waiting for 3DMark GPU Clock fix....

Firestrike stuck at GPU stock clocks instead of manufacture stock clocks...

Cool, installing now. I don't play either of those games but if it's not worse than 16.1 then I suppose why not.

On 2/26/2016 at 2:30 AM, testarossa47 said:

There is a workaround that fixes this

To Fix:

1. Go to https://mega.nz/#F!8tlAhDyQ!2AkAQukJKAYuIWEzDTGtFA!IslFkTSL
  2. Click on Direct X 9.0
  3. Right Click on 14.12.zip
  4. Do a Standard Download
  5. Extract Files to Same location as BattlefrontII.exe

This will prevent you from having to do a driver "rollback" simply by using older AMD Driver Dlls.

Disclaimer: Some people have reported the game crashes when applying this fix. If this is happening to you use a different Driver Version under DirectX 9.0 for Step 3. Not all drivers may be supported by your AMD GPU which might cause your game to crash at launch.

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx