The GTX 970 vs. R9 390 thread to (theoretically) end them all

PlayStation 2
3 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Oh I don't contest that the Nvidia drivers have a draw call advantage, but the person in that video was getting drops to 17 FPS on a 980Ti, also, it shouldn't be up to the player's to dive into the ini's to edit shadow distance, the game should have been built for DX11 at least, if not DX12. I'm intrigued as to how you ran Fallout 4 using Crossfire, seeing as I don't think there was a Crossfire profile released for the game before you switched to 980Ti.

Easy, forced it with 1x1 and used Rivia to cap the FPS. Problem was the shadows. Had a 4690k at the time so I had to choose between fps and shadows.

And like I said, you wouldn't understand. 99% of the games out there are plug and play, with maybe some slider adjustment to make. Fallout is our game ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Because DX11 is an old, outdated high overhead API. Both AMD and Nvidia cards suffer in some situations where neither have high enough draw call throughput. Situations like Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Unity.

Then why did you use it as an example of AMD's draw call deficit if you believe it too be true?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, App4that said:

Easy, forced it with 1x1 and used Rivia to cap the FPS. Problem was the shadows. Had a 4690k at the time so I had to choose between fps and shadows.

And like I said, you wouldn't understand. 99% of the games out there are plug and play, with maybe some slider adjustment to make. Fallout is our game ;)

I'm perfectly capable of adjusting ini settings, I used custom shadow settings in Skyrim and in Fallout 4 I used the dynamic shadow adjusting mod because it was simply eaiser. I've not completed Skyrim as well, I spent all of my time on fitting as many mods in as possible. So yes, I would and do understand.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

I'm perfectly capable of adjusting ini settings, I used custom shadow settings in Skyrim and in Fallout 4 I used the dynamic shadow adjusting mod because it was simply eaiser. I've not completed Skyrim as well, I spent all of my time on fitting as many mods in as possible. So yes, I would and do understand.

Doesn't sound like it. Bethesda as the developer is under no requirement to make sure your PC can run the game. So to stop playing or support someone who stopped playing because they wouldn't lower the settings so as to make it easy for their system to run the game, shows a complete disconnect from the mentality that takes responsibility for their own experience.

That said, I'm pissed at Bethesda for the pile of shit they dumped on us. Still my favorite game, but that doesn't excuse the issue the game suffers from. 

Just now, App4that said:

Doesn't sound like it. Bethesda as the developer is under no requirement to make sure your PC can run the game. So to stop playing or support someone who stopped playing because they wouldn't lower the settings so as to make it easy for their system to run the game, shows a complete disconnect from the mentality that takes responsibility for their own experience.

That said, I'm pissed at Bethesda for the pile of shit they dumped on us. Still my favorite game, but that doesn't excuse the issue the game suffers from. 

What? I did lower settings, God Rays went to low, shadow quality went to medium, and the mod adjusted my distance depending on my FPS. 

Just now, Citadelen said:

What? I did lower settings, God Rays went to low, shadow quality went to medium, and the mod adjusted my distance depending on my FPS. 

I'm speaking of the video you provided as evidence, or would you like to retract it? 

And don't use anything but off or ultra with Godrays. One of the shit things in the game. Any setting but Ultra or off causes pixilation on edges. If you want it off you might have to dive the ini's to kill it. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I'm speaking of the video you provided as evidence, or would you like to retract it? 

And don't use anything but off or ultra with Godrays. One of the shit things in the game. Any setting but Ultra or off causes pixilation on edges. If you want it off you might have to dive the ini's to kill it. 

Well, I'm pretty sure you were attacking me and the person in the video.

8 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Well, I'm pretty sure you were attacking me and the person in the video.

Not attacking per say. I'd classify it under ribbing. A good solid kick to the jimmies never hurt anyone if it's a constructive kick. There is equal responsibility on both sides, the developer and the player must accept them. And as launches go Fallout 4 is shockingly stable for a Bethesda title. But things like the Godrays, flickering, and lack of a creation kit are at the top of the "why Bethesda, WHY" list.

On topic. Nvidia rules, AMD drools.

Couldn't help myself.

2 hours ago, Monarch said:

It doesn't matter what's being tested. If the R9 390 can beat the GTX 970 only with the 6700K, and not with the i5, then it's obvious that the GPU is bottlenecked with the i5 because of the high overhead and needs a fast and expensive CPU in order to not get bottlenecked. But the GTX 970 isn't bottlenecked as much with the i5 as the 390 is. Which means driver overhead has a big impact and AMD GPUs should not be recommended with slower CPUs for CPU-bound games.

let me get this straight. Because teh game behaves differently on two wastly different architectures, in a game, it is a CPU overhead issue?

Are you a moron?

A GPU has strengths and weaknesses on a hardware level. Drivers cannot fix these nor do they do much to make em worse. Because it is a fucking HARDWARE level issue.

So unless you can rule out hardware related issues, you cannot PROVE, that it is drivers.

Good example. Crysis 2.... AMD tanked performance like mad, why? Cuz Nvidia alongside Epic Games decided to put rocks with shitloads of tesselation UNDER the surface of the playable map. Nvidia cards loved tesselation and didnt care at all. AMD cards at the time couldnt do it, and as a result it took a LOONG time for AMD to fix the issue, as they litterally had to patch the game itself to fix this issue.

The Witcher 3... AMD cards couldnt run Hairworks in the beginning, because it was hardlocked to x64 tesselation. Which causes insane FPS drops for AMD because they cannot do tesselation anywhere NEAR as good as Nvidia. Nvidia on the other hand had a much much lower impact on their cards.

What was the solution to TW3 tess spam? AMD quietly forced maximum X8 tesselation in their drivers. AMD cards still took a notable performance hit, but things were atleast playable.

These are but SOME examples of how graphical load can cause a issue. Driver magic will not give AMD better tesselation performance, Because their GPUs inherently cannot do it very well on a hardware level. Just like Maxwell is seriously limited in Async Compute. They can do it, but nowhere remotely near the level that AMD cards can. Not even remotely close.

If you truly believe those benchmarks prove driver overhead in the context of the article it comes from, then you are a moron.

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

Then why did you use it as an example of AMD's draw call deficit if you believe it too be true?

Because AMD's driver overhead is much higher than Nvidia's.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

let me get this straight. Because teh game behaves differently on two wastly different architectures, in a game, it is a CPU overhead issue?

Are you a moron?

A GPU has strengths and weaknesses on a hardware level. Drivers cannot fix these nor do they do much to make em worse. Because it is a fucking HARDWARE level issue.

So unless you can rule out hardware related issues, you cannot PROVE, that it is drivers.

Good example. Crysis 2.... AMD tanked performance like mad, why? Cuz Nvidia alongside Epic Games decided to put rocks with shitloads of tesselation UNDER the surface of the playable map. Nvidia cards loved tesselation and didnt care at all. AMD cards at the time couldnt do it, and as a result it took a LOONG time for AMD to fix the issue, as they litterally had to patch the game itself to fix this issue.

The Witcher 3... AMD cards couldnt run Hairworks in the beginning, because it was hardlocked to x64 tesselation. Which causes insane FPS drops for AMD because they cannot do tesselation anywhere NEAR as good as Nvidia. Nvidia on the other hand had a much much lower impact on their cards.

What was the solution to TW3 tess spam? AMD quietly forced maximum X8 tesselation in their drivers. AMD cards still took a notable performance hit, but things were atleast playable.

These are but SOME examples of how graphical load can cause a issue. Driver magic will not give AMD better tesselation performance, Because their GPUs inherently cannot do it very well on a hardware level. Just like Maxwell is seriously limited in Async Compute. They can do it, but nowhere remotely near the level that AMD cards can. Not even remotely close.

If you truly believe those benchmarks prove driver overhead in the context of the article it comes from, then you are a moron.

You clearly still don't grasp what driver overhead is and how high driver overhead manifests itself. The reason why the 390 dropped framerate in that video cannot be due to its architecture because the issue obviously occurs only in draw call heavy situations and the GPU load drops.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

-snip-

Yes, I know that, but you accepted that the issue affected both Nvidia and AMD, and that the fault lay with Bethesda and it's engine. Thus, a Fallout 4 video is not a good example of AMD's draw call deficit.

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Yes, I know that, but you accepted that the issue affected both Nvidia and AMD, and that the fault lay with Bethesda and it's engine. Thus, a Fallout 4 video is not a good example of AMD's draw call deficit.

*sigh*

Both being effected doesn't remove the extent to which they were effected. It's a perfect example.

Just now, App4that said:

*sigh*

Both being effected doesn't remove the extent to which they were effected. It's a perfect example.

I seem to recall the guy with a 980Ti was having drops to lower than what I was experiencing. Fallout 4 effects people seemingly at random, so can't be used as an example in my opinion.

I seem to recall the guy with a 980Ti was having drops to lower than what I was experiencing. Fallout 4 effects people seemingly at random, so can't be used as an example in my opinion.

Not at random, but depending on your location on the map and settings used.

Just now, App4that said:

Not at random, but depending on your location on the map and settings used.

Random as in people effected.

5 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Because AMD's driver overhead is much higher than Nvidia's.

You clearly still don't grasp what driver overhead is and how high driver overhead manifests itself. The reason why the 390 dropped framerate in that video cannot be due to its architecture because the issue obviously occurs only in draw call heavy situations and the GPU load drops.

and you do not understand how you DETECT driver overhead.

a simple graph with no context CANNOT PROVE IT. Especially in an article THAT WAS NOT EVEN SPECIFICALLY LOOKING INTO DRIVER OVERHEAD, BUT RATHER THE PERFORMANCE OF THE R9 380X.

I have come across quite a few fanboys, but you are not just any fanboy, you set the gold standard for fanboyism.

I am done with you and your ignorance.

Random as in people effected.

Not random. Everyone is playing the same game xD as long as they are on the same update. There are confounding variables like RAM speed but that is not random. Just the variance of everyones build. Change from AMD to Nvidia, and back in your personal rig and you'd see it.

17 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not random. Everyone is playing the same game xD as long as they are on the same update. There are confounding variables like RAM speed but that is not random. Just the variance of everyones build. Change from AMD to Nvidia, and back in your personal rig and you'd see it.

You don't appear to be reading what I'm typing properly, I'm terminating this pointless conversation that will get no where.

You know, I really regret making this thread. All it's turned into is a pissing contest to see who can use the most vulgar language and salt in a paragraph. And this is on both sides. I might just request this thread to be deleted if people don't straighten up.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

You know, I really regret making this thread. All it's turned into is a pissing contest to see who can use the most vulgar language and salt in a paragraph. And this is on both sides. I might just request this thread to be deleted if people don't straighten up.

Actually, I'd let it ride. Brings light to the issue of fans.

Can we all not agree both cards are good? But different! o3o

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 minute ago, Nena360 said:

Can we all not agree both cards are good? But different! o3o

We can agree on that, but some people are staunch defenders of their favourite company (still don't get why people have favourite companies-they are all in it for your money nothing else).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

you guys should listen to this video at precisely 7:15...give it a go and look at actual performance:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR