The GTX 970 vs. R9 390 thread to (theoretically) end them all

PlayStation 2
Just now, App4that said:

For you, that can be true. But try using weapon effects in Fallout 4, you can't, Nvidia only. To some that's no big deal, to others like myself that's important and adds to the immersion of the game. So me saying the 970 is better because I want to use my Shield, is not different than you saying the 390 is better because it gets better fps in a few games. It's all subjective.

Amen. Same can go for the other side of the coin.

I use Sony Vegas quite often and OpenCL accelleration really can come in handy. That and I do have a bit of experience in AMD's drivers.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, App4that said:

For you, that can be true. But try using weapon effects in Fallout 4, you can't, Nvidia only. To some that's no big deal, to others like myself that's important and adds to the immersion of the game. So me saying the 970 is better because I want to use my Shield, is not different than you saying the 390 is better because it gets better fps in a few games. It's all subjective.

good point, but that is the exact reason why the r9 390 isn't completely better than the gtx 970. after all the 3.5gb of vram holds the 970 back

Just now, VirusStorm said:

good point, but that is the exact reason why the r9 390 isn't completely better than the gtx 970. after all the 3.5gb of vram holds the 970 back

Not exactly, and it's really blown way out of proportion for the most part.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not exactly, and it's really blown way out of proportion for the most part.

what is?

The VRAM issue.

your correct for the most part. but some people need that extra 0.5gb of vram for the games they play. thats how all the controversy started in the first place

your correct for the most part. but some people need that extra 0.5gb of vram for the games they play. thats how all the controversy started in the first place

Not really. It started because people noticed that the card just slowed down to hell in arbitrary scenarios.

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

It's 4g, not 3.5g. The 970 has it's full 4g of memory, it's just that .5 of it runs slower. And games use the VRAM available, so how much is used has more to do with the available memory that the game. And I went over my 4g with my 290 all the time modding games, only knew it because Afterburner recorded it. No performance hit.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

It's 4g, not 3.5g. The 970 has it's full 4g of memory, it's just that .5 of it runs slower. And games use the VRAM available, so how much is used has more to do with the available memory that the game. And I went over my 4g with my 290 all the time modding games, only knew it because Afterburner recorded it. No performance hit.

yes but people still need that .5gb of vram to be as fast as the rest of the 3.5g

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not really. It started because people noticed that the card just slowed down to hell in arbitrary scenarios.

which is why it holds the 970 back

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

yes but people still need that .5gb of vram to be as fast as the rest of the 3.5g

I have a lot of friends with 970, they bitch about things but not the VRAM xD the VRAM issue is just trendy, not relevant.

ngy1i.png

all im trying to say is that, it all depends on personal preference. imo the 390 is better. thats why im getting it next week 

I am in the 970 camp tbh.... Thats why I chose one!!! I have had so many AMD cards and drivers (in my experience) have just never been great and that's such an important factor to me!!! I had had a 50/50 balance between AMD and Nvidia cards in terms of all that I own and have owned and I have to say Nvidia come out on top! For drivers and just the cards in general, although a premium in some cases, are just beasts and keep getting better and better non stop!! Buy 970 if u can afford it people...

(this is my opioion and I dont wanna hear any BS about 3.5gb's of VRAM, I go past that all the time and its fine, it does have 4GB just the remaining 500mb's are slower... Get ur facts right people plz...) 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

all im trying to say is that, it all depends on personal preference. imo the 390 is better. thats why im getting it next week 

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Glad we worked that out :)

Just now, App4that said:

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Glad we worked that out :)

yeah me too :) anyways i gtg now. It was nice talking to you guys

yeah me too :) anyways i gtg now. It was nice talking to you guys

My advice is get the Sapphire Nitro if you don't want to overclock that much, and the XFX or MSI if you do.

17 minutes ago, App4that said:

My advice is get the Sapphire Nitro if you don't want to overclock that much, and the XFX or MSI if you do.

i went with the strix

i went with the strix

Nooo, this generation AMD an ASUS don't mix well.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, App4that said:

Hmmm. I'm so sorry.

...what do you mean? Im getting it next week but whats wrong with the strix?

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

The Asus model of 390 is, less than popular here on the forum. Mostly due to the cooler design.

should i get the msi one?

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

MSI's don't have the best cooler but they have generally good customer service and they tend to OC favorably well.

alright ill go with that then. thanks!