Telstra's "Free Data Day" saw 1,841TB downloaded over 24 hours.

Joshosaurus

I'd have used a lot more than the 16GB, but when I got home, no fucking 3G (speed of my internet box) reception at all from Telstra, but full 4G reception from Optus.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What kind of measurement is an episode of Game of Thrones?

For a single copy of one episode, ranges from 300Mb for low quality to 5Gb for a great copy with 1.7Gb being the size for the most popular downloads.

I'd say your right but also for movies too.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

5 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

You guys don't have unlimited internet plans right? I'm on 15down/5up in New Zealand totally unlimited for $65USD a month :P 

Yeah, I'm currently on 50 down, 10 up and I'm rural for $110 with VoIP phone. My place in town is 100 down, 20 up for the same price. 

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What kind of measurement is an episode of Game of Thrones?

5 hours ago, JJHW149 said:

I'm still trying to work that one out myself.

3 hours ago, EChondo said:

Unless my line of thinking/math is wrong, but 1,841 Terabytes is almost two Petabytes of data. So you can(I think) make it 1,841,000,000. So that's PB, TB, GB, and then MB.

1,841,000,000 / 5,100,000 = 361.00(rounded up). That's 361MB per video. That's their estimation at least, which is either a very high compressed 720p or a decent compressed 480p video since GoT episodes are a hour long. Or the episodes are being streamed and the streamer source is using high compression on the video stream.

Of course I think measuring the amount of data in "X episode" is pants on head stupid, but at least it's something...

I think you guys are totally missing the point. They aren't "measuring" it in episodes. They measured it in gigabytes.. they are just using the episodes as an example to visualize how much that data is. It's like measuring something and saying its X feet long, or as tall as building y. The issue here is that the file size of an episode changes depending on the version, but I think they were just trying to give an idea since GoT is the most pirated series.

16 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I think you guys are totally missing the point. They aren't "measuring" it in episodes. They measured it in gigabytes.. they are just using the episodes as an example to visualize how much that data is. It's like measuring something and saying its X feet long, or as tall as building y. The issue here is that the file size of an episode changes depending on the version, but I think they were just trying to give an idea since GoT is the most pirated series.

Well to be fair I was only posting my math because I was interested to see how big these episodes were they were making an example for lol. I mean, ~360MB a video is quite low(for GoT at least) so I'm surprised they used GoT as an example.

But hey that's just me haha.

I remember that night, was Valentines. I was at dinner and it was close to 10 o'clock and I was all like "Sorry hun, not that I don't like you, but I have to go home and download lots of things I'm never going to watch because I'm an inherently cheap human being".

I'm pretty sure Telstra throttled their 4G in my area. I couldn't get more than 10Mb when I can normally get 65Mb.
My ADSL gets 16Mb so it wasn't worth it.
And before you say the network was overloaded. I live in a small town with less than 2,000 people (Not really sure why we have 4G at all TBH) But most of them are farmers who don't know what the "internet" is. So I doubt it was overloaded.
Another strange thing is. Even though I'm ~250km away from perth, I get much better speed test results from Melbourne (~3,500km). 

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

7 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

You guys don't have unlimited internet plans right? I'm on 15down/5up in New Zealand totally unlimited for $65USD a month :P 

Unlimited 1000/200 for $12 a month. If we're talking about mobile plans , I have 10 GB of 4G and 5GB of 3G for 5 EUR a month. (Technically it's unlimited but after you go past these you get really slow internet speed)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I frakking miss being a Telstra customer... and its 10 dollar movie tickets.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I feel there someone somewhere who is kicking themselves right now because they didn't know this happened :P 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Mobile data plan : 50gb 4g = 15.99€

House Internet :30/5 unlimited (fiber soon)  +tv +house phone = 45€

The joys of living in europe

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

10 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

I'm on 4G three in UK unlimited data with speeds ranging from 20MB - 75MB down and 10-20up.

Costs me £13.00 a month.  about  $20 USD  UK>ALL.

11 hours ago, sushisharkjl said:

I'm on a two-person plan with my mum since my dad has an unlimited work phone (which his company pays literally a fortune for) and my brother doesn't need a phone yet. 

The plan you're thinking of is 10GB total, so 2.5/person.

11 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Doesn´t Tmobile have a family plan for 4 people with like 10gbs each person though?

They actually have a 4 lines 10gb Each running right now so a total of 40GB for $120 dollars and they have 4 Lines Unlimited data for $150 but these are call in and limited time promo they arent saying when they will stop offering them but in the past they have kept deals like this around for at least a month 

They used to have the family deal of 4 phones 2.5GB each for just 100 a month also but i dont this that one is running right now. 

12 hours ago, Pqnic said:

Canada NEEDS Google Fiber.-----------------------.

Agreed. Gigabit internet is available from Rogers now, but it's $150/mo.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Damn, and ive only topped about 75gb by myself on my sprint plan. I guess i need to be hitting it harder. 

19 hours ago, RZeroX said:

Wonder why Australia doesn't offer unlimited internet?, I'm with Vodafone 100down/10up unlimited Plan, what ISP you on?

Im with Optus, prepaid ($2 a day) and get unlimited data and boy I use it :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

First I was confused like "huh? only a little over 2TB??", but after a second I realized I'm a pleb and we use the dot and comma in the exact opposite way :P anyways, that's a pretty decent way to apologize.

Is it in Australia also not normal to have unlimited data plans on your home internet? Is that why everyone download so much stuff on their phone network? Or are the home internet speeds just so bad? :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

First I was confused like "huh? only a little over 2TB??", but after a second I realized I'm a pleb and we use the dot and comma in the exact opposite way :P anyways, that's a pretty decent way to apologize.

Is it in Australia also not normal to have unlimited data plans on your home internet? Is that why everyone download so much stuff on their phone network? Or are the home internet speeds just so bad? :P 

Yeah, our home internet speeds really suck, I average 4 down and 0.5 up while 4G i get 40 down and 35 up. 

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

16 hours ago, EChondo said:

Well to be fair I was only posting my math because I was interested to see how big these episodes were they were making an example for lol. I mean, ~360MB a video is quite low(for GoT at least) so I'm surprised they used GoT as an example.

But hey that's just me haha.

Yea, the quality must be pretty bad but if you were desperate I guess better than nothing lol. I thought it was a kind of weird addition too but maybe they were trying to hint at all the pirating everyone did that day.

All of you complaining about your internet.. In Wisconsin, I've got 4.5 down and .8 up on GOOD DAYS. We pay nearly 90 dollars a month.

FOR THAT.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina