Telstra's "Free Data Day" saw 1,841TB downloaded over 24 hours.

Joshosaurus

On sunday Australian ISP Telstra would give customers a free day of data after their network outage last week that affect the majority of the country. To apologize the telco had one day of free mobile data to all customers that use their service.

When Telstra announced it would give its mobile customers free data all day yesterday with no caveats as an apology for last week's outage, it opened the floodgates. ... Users downloaded 1,841 terabytes of data, the equivalent of about 2.3 million movies or 5.1 million episodes of Game of Thrones, the telco said. ...  Some customers complained about their data speeds becoming choked by the network's heavy traffic while others reported no issues.

-Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/telstra-free-data-day-sees-1841-terabytes-downloaded/7168158

Who else here also took up the opportunity to avoid Australian internet speeds for the 4g speeds of Telstra's network?

7168262-3x4-340x453.jpg

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

Woooww.. That's nuts.. And here I was being proud of cracking 350GB over the last 30 days on all my devices combined..

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

screw american telecom companies

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

7 minutes ago, JJHW149 said:

On sunday Australian ISP Telstra would give customers a free day of data after their network outage last week that affect the majority of the country. To apologize the telco had one day of free mobile data to all customers that use their service.

-Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/telstra-free-data-day-sees-1841-terabytes-downloaded/7168158

Who else here also took up the opportunity to avoid Australian internet speeds for the 4g speeds of Telstra's network?

7168262-3x4-340x453.jpg

420GB....huehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

1 minute ago, sushisharkjl said:

screw american telecom companies

You guys don't have unlimited internet plans right? I'm on 15down/5up in New Zealand totally unlimited for $65USD a month :P 

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

You guys don't have unlimited internet plans right? I'm on 15down/5up in New Zealand totally unlimited for $65USD a month :P 

I'm on TPG 25/5 Fibre network unlimited for $80AUD/month or $57 USD

T-Mobile, whom I'm with, does, but it costs $90 or something/month, so poor me has to use the 2GB plan. I get 40/25 with 3 bars though. 

When I started out with TMO I was paying for the 500MB/mo plan, but they have doubled everybody's data twice so far, and I get free music+vid streaming, so ayyyyy :P 

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

11 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Wonder why Australia doesn't offer unlimited internet?, I'm with Vodafone 100down/10up unlimited Plan, what ISP you on?

300/50 fibre, unlimited of course, $20. 

Joys of living in Europe, I guess. ;)

3 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

T-Mobile, whom I'm with, does, but it costs $90 or something/month, so poor me has to use the 2GB plan. I get 40/25 with 3 bars though. 

When I started out with TMO I was paying for the 500MB/mo plan, but they have doubled everybody's data twice so far, and I get free music+vid streaming, so ayyyyy :P 

Is that mobile data? 'Cause I'm on a bundle with Spark in NZ where I get 1GB data, unlimited calls and texting for like $20NZD a month :P

4 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

I'm on TPG 25/5 Fibre network unlimited for $80AUD/month or $57 USD

Fibre would be awesome, then we'd be up waay higher nearing the 50 down mark, but we're restricted as it is with our apartment building's weak internal wiring (we connect our modem to a phone jack, not ethernet) and they'd need to install fibre in the building first, which is really expensive.

Is that mobile data? 'Cause I'm on a bundle with Spark in NZ where I get 1GB data, unlimited calls and texting for like $20NZD a month :P

Fibre would be awesome, then we'd be up waay higher nearing the 50 down mark, but we're restricted as it is with our apartment building's weak internal wiring (we connect our modem to a phone jack, not ethernet) and they'd need to install fibre in the building first, which is really expensive.

Yes, it is mobile data.

4 minutes ago, Rahnie said:

300/50 fibre, unlimited of course, $20. 

Joys of living in Europe, I guess. ;)

Well, we're getting Google Fiber soon [San Jose], so  ( •_•)   ( •_•)>⌐■-■   (⌐■_■)

2 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Yes, it is mobile data.

Well, we're getting Google Fiber soon [San Jose], so  ( •_•)   ( •_•)>⌐■-■   (⌐■_■)

Canada NEEDS Google Fiber.-----------------------.

17 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Doesn´t Tmobile have a family plan for 4 people with like 10gbs each person though?

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Doesn´t Tmobile have a family plan for 4 people with like 10gbs each person though?

I'm on a two-person plan with my mum since my dad has an unlimited work phone (which his company pays literally a fortune for) and my brother doesn't need a phone yet. 

The plan you're thinking of is 10GB total, so 2.5/person.

55 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

For $30AUD (prepaid)/month, I get unlimited calls, texts and I get calls to other countries and 1.5GB of data with Optus

1 hour ago, Rangaman42 said:

some places do i have Verison Fios so i have 75/75 no data caps :P

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

24 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

For $30AUD (prepaid)/month, I get unlimited calls, texts and I get calls to other countries and 1.5GB of data with Optus

I get for $40AUD I get unlimited calls, texts and 5GB data with amaysim.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

4G is great, I wish I had of remembered about the free data before I uninstalled steam and it was 8PM at night.

So sadly I didn't download JC3.

Screenshot_2016-02-14-18-41-01-94.png.ef

Why are there people talking about fixed line connections in a mobile thread?? You're all confused!

We don't get unlimited mobile data in Australia or NZ, this was a one day thing that Telstra activated as compensation for some previous outage.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

10 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Why are there people talking about fixed line connections in a mobile thread?? You're all confused!

We don't get unlimited mobile data in Australia or NZ, this was a one day thing that Telstra activated as compensation for some previous outage.

This x 10.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What kind of measurement is an episode of Game of Thrones?

Unless my line of thinking/math is wrong, but 1,841 Terabytes is almost two Petabytes of data. So you can(I think) make it 1,841,000,000. So that's PB, TB, GB, and then MB.

1,841,000,000 / 5,100,000 = 361.00(rounded up). That's 361MB per video. That's their estimation at least, which is either a very high compressed 720p or a decent compressed 480p video since GoT episodes are a hour long. Or the episodes are being streamed and the streamer source is using high compression on the video stream.

Of course I think measuring the amount of data in "X episode" is pants on head stupid, but at least it's something...

2 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Bruh. Don't lie. The 20 dollar value pack gives you 500mb. 

American ISP's are breathing heavily.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero