Dirty move by Intel

alexc026
1 hour ago, TJCINC said:

Ok so everyone has their own opinion on this topic that is clear,  but for the people that did buy into this is there any sure way to stop the microcode update?  I have win 10 home so no gp edit. 

If there is not one yet, there will be.  There probably is, I just have not looked into it.  :D

well for now i think i have updates turned off but if i can figure out what it is id prefer to just block it

On 2/16/2016 at 4:29 PM, stconquest said:

If there is not one yet, there will be.  There probably is, I just have not looked into it.  :D

been almost a week you look into it or you just a troll? 

18 minutes ago, TJCINC said:

been almost a week you look into it or you just a troll? 

Hell no I did not look into it.  I don't own a Skylake CPU.  Did your internet break or something?  :)

Yeah there is a way to stop it.  Windows 10 needs the Pro version.  Edit the Group Policy settings...lol I just realized you have the Home version.

On 2/14/2016 at 4:25 AM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

You have only been able to overclock k cpus sense the dawn of time I personal don't give a shit and wish Asrock  never did this. Like come on did anyone think Intel would let this happen. 

No.  Pretty much all cpus prior to sandy bridge could overclock very high with the BCLOCK. remember the i5 750? The q6600? 

The celeron 300a? 

A limited bclock AND multiplier has only existed since ~ 2011.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 hours ago, stconquest said:

Hell no I did not look into it.  I don't own a Skylake CPU.  Did your internet break or something?  :)

Yeah there is a way to stop it.  Windows 10 needs the Pro version.  Edit the Group Policy settings...lol I just realized you have the Home version.

No my internet is just fine was just trying to figure out if you on top of the bridge or live under. two responses to say nothing helpful says it all. 

like i said i think i have updates under control just not at the gp level, if possible id like to pin down said update and try to block just that.  you obviously cant help with that,, so thanks for your help :)

17 minutes ago, TJCINC said:

No my internet is just fine was just trying to figure out if you on top of the bridge or live under. two responses to say nothing helpful says it all. 

like i said i think i have updates under control just not at the gp level, if possible id like to pin down said update and try to block just that.  you obviously cant help with that,, so thanks for your help :)

I live in a Condo.  :(

13 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I live in a Condo.  :(

3 posts to say nothing ill toss some crumbs over the bridge for you next time Im over... like i said thanks for your help.. as in next troll please. :)

4 minutes ago, TJCINC said:

3 posts to say nothing ill toss some crumbs over the bridge for you next time Im over... like i said thanks for your help.. as in next troll please. :)

Can you make them muffin crumbs?

I like those.

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Can you make them Muffin crumbs?

I like those.

a troll takes what he can get.. 

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Glad you learned a word.  :D

Sadly I found the definition my first time out. 

So people found a way to OC a non-OC CPU using a motherboard bios workaround to a design flaw? Good for them. Now Intel closed that backdoor and now everybody is crying foul? Seriously people... what do you expect? Intel's just covering their own arses in terms of not getting sued when some tom/dick/harry stuffs up his non-K OC'd CPU just because he thought it was "OK"...

Don't want to "clockblock"... don't do a bios update... like ever... then see how long you can run your system successfully.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

2 minutes ago, TJCINC said:

Sadly I found the definition my first time out. 

Are you longing for human contact or something?  I will play along:  I am glad I took that course to learn how to mirror the person I talk with.  :|

I am not calling a foul,  I saw this happening, even warranty wise this could cause mayhem for them,  there is also the way the chips are marketed. this way to oc does limit the ability to do basic things like read temps that are important for oc in general.  its understandable even though i do have one.  I hope they just stick with a bios update but .. this did get alot of exposure

On 2/14/2016 at 10:41 PM, MageTank said:

Oh well. I archived the non-K overclocking BIOS's and disabled windows update with GPE. My overclocking is here to stay.

That's good to know at least.  Are you required to avoid all windows updates or could you just avoid a particular update with the micro-code?

Otherwise, this is really shady on Intel's part, because as you said @MageTank, the good folks were using BCLK overclocking as one of their selling points at one time (I'm not sure if this was officially retracted by Intel or not, but I do remember hearing about the BCLK overclocking from tech outlets).  Locking the Pentium makes even less sense since it's the whole point of that chip.  I hate to be that guy, but this is the kind of stuff that happens with lack of competition.  AMD could really burn intel on it too if they use this example in their marketing for their next gen.

14 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Are you longing for human contact or something?  I will play along:  I am glad I took that course to learn how to mirror the person I talk with.  :|

we already came to the conclusion you are sub human nomatter where you live. joined the site looking for answers on a particular subject you can do nothing but speculate about you dont have the hardware.   

Just now, TJCINC said:

we already came to the conclusion you are sub human nomatter where you live. joined the site looking for answers on a particular subject you can do nothing but speculate about you dont have the hardware.   

Ah I get it now.  You have mental issues.  Personality disorders are no joke, please seek help.

Just now, stconquest said:

Ah I get it now.  You have mental issues.  Personality disorders are no joke, please seek help.

pretty sure anyone else reading your uselessness would agree 

39 minutes ago, TJCINC said:

a troll takes what he can get.. 

You need to chill out. He said he has not looked into it, but he does not owe his time to you. Nor should you put all of your eggs in one basket, as if one random man on the forum holds all of the answers you need. 

The answer to your question is simple. If you do not have windows pro, you are going to have to risk breaking your windows install by manually trying to remove it by force, or pray Intel never releases a microcode update through windows update. That's it. It's the same solution that people had to use back when Intel stopped the G3258 from overclocking on H series boards. 

9 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

That's good to know at least.  Are you required to avoid all windows updates or could you just avoid a particular update with the micro-code?

Otherwise, this is really shady on Intel's part, because as you said @MageTank, the good folks were using BCLK overclocking as one of their selling points at one time (I'm not sure if this was officially retracted by Intel or not, but I do remember hearing about the BCLK overclocking from tech outlets).  Locking the Pentium makes even less sense since it's the whole point of that chip.  I hate to be that guy, but this is the kind of stuff that happens with lack of competition.  AMD could really burn intel on it too if they use this example in their marketing for their next gen.

What I do, is I turn off all automatic updates, and i hand pick which updates I want. That way, no random surprise updates, and I check every single update to ensure it is not touching the microcode. Pretty easy to way to do it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

What I do, is I turn off all automatic updates, and i hand pick which updates I want. That way, no random surprise updates, and I check every single update to ensure it is not touching the microcode. Pretty easy to way to do it. 

Thanks.  I'm still onboard the skylake i3 gravy train then if I decide to build soon.

4 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Thanks.  I'm still onboard the skylake i3 gravy train then if I decide to build soon.

You would probably benefit more from a locked i5 6500 + H110 mobo (roughly $260).  The cost of aftermarket cooling and the Z-Series mobo makes the i3 a bad idea, even overclocked.

6 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I highly recommend using windows 10 pro. If you do not have windows 10 pro, there are other ways to try to defer the updates, but they are not 100% full proof. Set your connection as metered, and windows will not download updates. However, if you accidentally connect to another network, be prepared for a world of hurt. You can try to manually add group policy editor to windows 10 home (like people did with 8.1) but its very sketchy, and can break windows if done incorrectly. Point is, you are going to need to stop automatic updates if you want to ensure your overclock remains untouched. 

Not updating your bios, and not letting a microcode be forced upon you through windows update are the two ways to 100% guarantee that your non-K overclocking will remain functional. That's Intel's only possible methods to stop it. Some ASRock boards even mock Intel's new update, by allowing you to choose the microcode that loads on your CPU within the BIOS itself. I know the OC Formula board has this option. 

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You would probably benefit more from a locked i5 6500 + H110 mobo (roughly $260).  The cost of aftermarket cooling and the Z-Series mobo makes the i3 a bad idea, even overclocked.

You don't need an aftermarket cooler to overclock the i3 though. Non-K overclocking disables AVX by default, which means the "super scary extremely hot prime95 killer" instruction set no longer exists during the OC. This means even when running Prime95, it will be less hotter when overclocked, than what it would be at stock. Using the stock cooler on my i5 6600T in an ITX case, I only hit 82C at 4.5ghz running 48k FFT prime95. That's with 4 real cores, instead of 2 cores with HT. An i3 would run cooler, and no normal gaming load would equate to 48k FFT prime95. 

Besides, Z boards offer way more price:performance. Memory speed alone can increase minimum FPS anywhere from 10-20% depending on dGPU and your CPU overhead. Seeing as 2800mhz DDR4 memory is rather cheap (and manual overclocking is free) it adds up to quite a bit of performance once you factor in both CPU and memory overclocks. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, stconquest said:

You would probably benefit more from a locked i5 6500 + H110 mobo (roughly $260).  The cost of aftermarket cooling and the Z-Series mobo makes the i3 a bad idea. 

I was considering an H-mobo but I also want overclocked DDR4 ram and then potentially upgrade to a higher-end next gen Intel CPU.  If I went for a non k i5 I'd probably stick with haswell. 

29 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You need to chill out. He said he has not looked into it, but he does not owe his time to you. Nor should you put all of your eggs in one basket, as if one random man on the forum holds all of the answers you need. 

The answer to your question is simple. If you do not have windows pro, you are going to have to risk breaking your windows install by manually trying to remove it by force, or pray Intel never releases a microcode update through windows update. That's it. It's the same solution that people had to use back when Intel stopped the G3258 from overclocking on H series boards. 

I just asked him if he looked into it yet, he said the same as you, about gpedit and win 10 pro then moving to say oh, you dont have that,  do you think he re read my comment or just typed to say something. as he did several times, I thanked him for his help the first 4 times.   You provided actual information which is more appreciable  so thank you.   I did stop the auto update service from starting and it seems to be effective, the tool that you can download to check and hide updates wont even work but without gpedit, its a small stopgap.  In this case its preferable to break an install than a cpu.  are you looking for this update yourself? could you post here if it appears?