Project Gallium (Liquid Metal Cooled PC)

liquid-metal.thumb.png.e64f567d175cf5f0e

Project Gallium

Hi I am the photographer and now i guess the pr guy too of a very small modding team named elemental computers. Another member of the team you guys might know is @Maybach123 he is pretty active on this forum. Anyways this is our first public build log and since this is our first we wanted to do something that we have not seen anyone else do before. We are going to be cooling a pc with liquid metal in a full custom loop. Even though this is our first build log it is still a company pet project and may take a while as we are working with somewhat restricted funds right now. None of the parts a set in stone we will most likely be changing them but once we have this system up and running we plan to see how long a gallium cooled pc will last and if it is a feasible long term solution.

Parts as of right now.

CPU:              AMD FX 8320

Motherboard: Asus m5A78L-M

RAM:             Corsair vengeance 8 to 16gb whatever we have lying around

Storage:         Samsung 850 120gb SSD

GPU:              Nvidia 970

Case:             Parvum M1.0

PSU:              Evga SuperNOVA GS 550w

Water Cooling Parts

Ek Supremacy evo plexi

Ek 970 plexi

electromagnetic pump (magnetohydrodynamic pump)

Will Update the rest of the parts later

Thanks for checking this build log out

Oh and a special thanks to @W-L and @LED_Guy they have helped solve some of the issues with this so far

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i not sure that mobo will hold up with the FX8320

that mobo is not build to support 8 core power draw

otherwise will be a super system to watch out for

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

i not sure that mobo will hold up with the FX8320

that mobo is not build to support 8 core power draw

otherwise will be a super system to watch out for

alright I will revise this

thanks

Wow, that is certainly different. I'm assuming you want to use gallium to cool the PC? Doesn't gallium melt in the high 20 to low 30C range? If so, how will you overcome the metal solidifying in the reservoir, pump, and all corners of the loop when the system has been powered off for a while?

ASU

2 minutes ago, ElementalComputers said:

thanks

if you want a decent mobo

look at the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

it has a 8+2 power phases for the FX8xxx

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Wow, that is certainly different. I'm assuming you want to use gallium to cool the PC? Doesn't gallium melt in the high 20 to low 30C range? If so, how will you overcome the metal solidifying in the reservoir, pump, and all corners of the loop when the system has been powered off for a while?

we will be using a mixture of gallium indium and tin its liquid at room temperature

This is crazy.. 

uu9pmDP.gif

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

16 hours ago, ElementalComputers said:

we will be using a mixture of gallium indium and tin its liquid at room temperature

I'm wondering what pump will you use? Also, will you add some sort of corrosion inhibitor to the coolant?

Well, damn. Like, DAMN! I sort of slept through chem so will that work in waterblocks? Corrosion? I'm assuming it's pretty viscous so it will flow easily because you wouldn't want to use to many pumps. How does it do with thermals? Water is nice because it has such a high specific heat capacity, how does this stuff do? Also, cool a freaking extreme edition i7 on that thing!

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

damn. i'm following this. i'm impressed @Maybach123 you guys are gonna set this bar really high. but why didn't you go the intel route, just curious?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

please don't make the text black, I am a dark theme user and I can't read it w/o highlighting

idk

I have to see how this turns out.  Following :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

please don't make the text black, I am a dark theme user and I can't read it w/o highlighting

you need glasses I can read it fine :P

Perhaps this would be worth complaining about though xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

yep, fk purple xD

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

hah, I have them. I'm on my phone however, so maybe it's that.

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

hah, I have them. I'm on my phone however, so maybe it's that.

could be... maybe the gamma is off or something... or it's just enough to push it over the edge since it would be smaller already

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

Very interesting. But isn't the gallium and indium super expensive?

Why do you think it's an FX chip? :D

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

15 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Water is nice because it has such a high specific heat capacity, how does this stuff do? Also, cool a freaking extreme edition i7 on that thing!

Very good point.  Water has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g.K, meaning it will actually gain very little temperature when soaking up a lot of heat energy.  Most metals - all of the three mentioned included - have a much higher molar mass, and a much lower molar specific heat capacity resulting in values well under 1 J/g.K, meaning their temperature will change by a much larger amount when gaining or losing the same amount of heat energy.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Very good point.  Water has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g.K, meaning it will actually gain very little temperature when soaking up a lot of heat energy.  Most metals - all of the three mentioned included - have a much higher molar mass, and a much lower molar specific heat capacity resulting in values well under 1 J/g.K, meaning their temperature will change by a much larger amount when gaining or losing the same amount of heat energy.

That was what I saw as the main problem too.  If it heats up quickly, wouldn't it become less efficient at the next waterblock (but more efficient at the rad?) because the difference in temperature is lower/greater than what it is trying to absorb. Actually, if there was a rad between each component, couldn't this work pretty well?

10 hours ago, ElementalComputers said:

thanks

The only MATX board currently that will support the FX 8320 without throttling at stock is the GA-78LMT-USB3  by Gigabyte. Sorry about the huge text there I just copied it from their site. It you go here -

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov

You will note to the left of the CPU socket there is a heatsink. This cools the VRMs but note, there are only 4 phases on this board so whilst overclocking is possible with it you will need to use super low voltages. As soon as you use too much voltage the board will throttle to stop the VRMs cooking themselves.

As such I would strongly recommend also changing the CPU with a 8320model as it requires less voltage per clock than the standard 8320.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?