Project Gallium (Liquid Metal Cooled PC)

• 2 weeks later...
On February 11, 2016 at 0:02 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

you need glasses I can read it fine :P

Perhaps this would be worth complaining about though xD

How do you do dark mode?

5 minutes ago, rowanhazard said:

How do you do dark mode?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and in there is a theme option and a Night Theme.

Just now, W-L said:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and in there is a theme option and a Night Theme.

Thanks!

On 2/11/2016 at 8:38 PM, awakesquare said:

This is crazy.. 

Yes it is, but I like crazy stuff like this. :D

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 11/04/2016 at 4:00 AM, Ramamataz said:

Doesn't Gallium destroy aluminum ?

It does,easily.

This project isnt going to work very well without custom blocks and rads,you will need a significant amount of pump power too.

Gallium also is reacative with Steel too,not just Alu

Gallium is often used for vacuum cooling where a leak could destroy the kit and the test piece,the pumps are coiled tubes wrapped around a rotor which is locked in place,there is no impeller action directly on the fluid,its purely using the magnetic forces from the stator.

The material the OP is looking for is Galinstan btw....

On 14/02/2016 at 8:00 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

(going back to before that whole discussion) I've seen a lot of talk about surface tension but nothing about contact angle.  That is also going to play a role in how the fluid "sticks" to things.  Ever wondered why water spilled on a table will stay together as a pool and spread out, while mercury (for example) will break up into little beads and seem to float as a ball above the surface? Contact angle.

Only applies to drop formation,not fully wetted parts. 

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2016 at 6:44 AM, B NEGATIVE said:

Yeah you're right, whoops :P I guess I was thinking of startup or something...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 1 year later...
On 2016/4/24 at 8:44 PM, B NEGATIVE said:

It does,easily.

This project isnt going to work very well without custom blocks and rads,you will need a significant amount of pump power too.

Gallium also is reacative with Steel too,not just Alu

Gallium is often used for vacuum cooling where a leak could destroy the kit and the test piece,the pumps are coiled tubes wrapped around a rotor which is locked in place,there is no impeller action directly on the fluid,its purely using the magnetic forces from the stator.

The material the OP is looking for is Galinstan btw....

Gallium will only have the corrosivity for glass. 

• 2 years later...

This is very old now, but can it be used as a means of transferring cold instead of heat. What if you chilled the metal while keeping it warm enough to chill the components directly with the metal. from another source.

Or what about two layers. One transferring gallium or a layer of it in a sealed environment with a peltier or something directly cooling the CPU. Then use another more efficient source to draw the heat away.

The container could be used to solve the contact and contain it when it melts. This could act as a transfer medium for pure galium and use less of it. Then draw away with a normal source or a different kind of it. If the containers allows cooling while in solid or liquid forms you could use it like a pad to transfer to a block. Then cool with liquid nitrogen or something applying cold.

Plus if you can specially design a block you could have multiple sources taking away the heat if you really wanted for multiple purposes. Maybe dry ice or something else cold in a container using the fumes or a direct heat transfer somehow. Assuming no explosions happen and it can be safely done. Is there another form of cold liquid that can be used? Or just normal water cooling? I just saw something that might work but can't find it.

BTW, would the liquid state and cooling help get contact if it can be contained? Assuming it needs to be contained.

I guess you could always chill the radiators with the peltier to get cold away from the electronics.

I'm assuming galium isn't a problem as a surface thing as it melts well under normal cpu temps. Or have CPU's cooled over the years? I'm used to 28-33c being standard idle temps.

Also, did you ever consider really thing pipes instead of thick ones. Save material. Maybe something with a cm or mm diameter and use very small amounts with added chill or something to help with heat. Or anything else that can improve/enchance cooling.

And did this ever get finished?