Free Geek Vlog Part 1

3:18, those are the exact speakers I'm using right now. Great speakers if you can even find a set. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

That place looks fantastic!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

SO MUCH RAAAM, man I need a place like that around me, but thats the issue with living in a small community :(

This is so cool. Every corner of the world needs a shop like this.

Theirs one were I live, I bet their going to get flooded with volunteers because of this video.I know where I', getting my "new" NAS 

There's a Free Geek near where I live.

I think I'm gonna go pay them a visit at some point.

hey guys there is a free geek is the twin cites area(minneasota). it is smaller than the one in Vancouver, but is still the same setup with alot cool stuff there

I saw one of my PCs at 4:52 behind Luke.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I've been very interested in starting something like this, anyone have information on where to start and regulations on this sort of business in California?

I didn't even know shops like this existed. 

I thought there were just factories that mass recycle electronics for their materials. But a shop that you can volunteer at and not only learn a bunch about different computer parts but also get a discount to buy or take an older computer with you is a pretty cool idea. It would be nice to work at one of these computer repair/recycle shops without actually getting a job at one and being forced to work long hours. Just casually work whenever you have free time and when you have enough hours stacked up you can get a discount off a newer item or take home something older for free. You could probably put that on your resume too. 

My Current Rig:

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5838447 

Steam ID: RonHGeneral Xbox Live: RonHGeneral

I wish we had one of these near me in the south of England. Looks AWESOME - would certainly help them out too!

These vlogs are awesome! I love the idea of that shop. Wish we had something like that here. Looking forward to more

So for those of you in the Greater Toronto Area, I checked out the Toronto FreeGeek and I want to report what I found.  Disappointingly, it was not the spare retro part mecca that the Vancouver one seemed to be.  They explained to me that there were different logistical and resource issues that leave the Toronto location operating differently.  If you want to find some weird part from 5-10 years ago, this isn't the place to go.  What it Toronto FreeGeek was was a place that mostly refurbed discarded/donated laptops to resell them to those who are lower income and otherwise afford a laptop of their own, they employ people who are on income supports to do this work as a means of training them to hopefully find other employment in tech once they leave the place.  They explained that there was little money in desktop components most of the time, so laptops were their focus since they kept the place afloat and allowed them to do good work.  Keep laptops out of the dump?  Make computers accessible to those of lower income brackets?  Employ and train people who are on some form of income support?  I really respect all three of these efforts so while I did not buy any 2GB DDR2 sticks and LGA775 coolers like I'd hope to find, I did donate $100 to their cause because it seemed like good work that they were doing.

...Also, they said that in the last couple of weeks @Linus video had left them inundated with sixteen year old boys hoping to build their own Junkyard Gaming Machine. :P

• 1 year later...

Where can I sell my various boards for scrap? I also have aprox. 20 lbs of old AMX equipment that I am willing to sell.

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 4:22 PM, AshleyAshes said:

So for those of you in the Greater Toronto Area, I checked out the Toronto FreeGeek and I want to report what I found.  Disappointingly, it was not the spare retro part mecca that the Vancouver one seemed to be.  They explained to me that there were different logistical and resource issues that leave the Toronto location operating differently.  If you want to find some weird part from 5-10 years ago, this isn't the place to go.  What it Toronto FreeGeek was was a place that mostly refurbed discarded/donated laptops to resell them to those who are lower income and otherwise afford a laptop of their own, they employ people who are on income supports to do this work as a means of training them to hopefully find other employment in tech once they leave the place.  They explained that there was little money in desktop components most of the time, so laptops were their focus since they kept the place afloat and allowed them to do good work.  Keep laptops out of the dump?  Make computers accessible to those of lower income brackets?  Employ and train people who are on some form of income support?  I really respect all three of these efforts so while I did not buy any 2GB DDR2 sticks and LGA775 coolers like I'd hope to find, I did donate $100 to their cause because it seemed like good work that they were doing.

...Also, they said that in the last couple of weeks @Linus video had left them inundated with sixteen year old boys hoping to build their own Junkyard Gaming Machine. :P

I would visit the Vancouver one, but it's like in a shady area of East Vancouver. Wouldn't go there unless I drove.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

• 5 years later...

Ugh. They just announced they’re closing because money. 

1 hour ago, idmb said:

Ugh. They just announced they’re closing because money. 

Specifically their Vancouver branch from what I can understand. The other branches seem to still be operational.

There is a possibility I'm missing something here.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.