Matrix Cards are Shit

LittleCarrot

I was gonna buy a ASUS Matrix 980Ti, when I realized there is no water blocks. If you can prove me wrong. That was be awesome, I would buy one this second.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

The title is entirely incorrect then, ASUS doesn't make the waterblocks... no reason to call it a shit card

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Just now, Octavialicious said:

The title is entirely incorrect then, ASUS doesn't make the waterblocks... no reason to call it a shit card

There cooling is worse than their 980Ti Strix

- Albert Einstein

Lol there are also no waterblocks available for the Lightning.

Big reason not to go that way I guess.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Well duh, it was made for extreme overclocking (such as LN2)

don't expect an LN2 card to have the best stock cooling

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Just now, Octavialicious said:

Well duh, it was made for extreme overclocking (such as LN2)

don't expect an LN2 card to have good stock cooling

Should it then have good water block support?

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol there are also no waterblocks available for the Lightning.

Big reason not to go that way I guess.

Isn't weird cards with good overclocking support don't have waterblocks?

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

Should it then have good water block support?

Again, not ASUS's problem/fault

3 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

A lot of things are worse than other things...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You're kidding me right?

Calling a card crap because it doesnt have waterblocks? You know that waterblocks are made by companies that are NOT asus right?

how do you think the waterblock manufacturers are going to make a waterblock for the card if THEY DONT HAVE THE CARD?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

I was gonna buy a ASUS Matrix 980Ti, when I realized there is no water blocks. If you can prove me wrong. That was be awesome, I would buy one this second.

Just because a card doesnt have a waterblock, does not make it a terrible card.

You're point is invalid

Looking for a job

7 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Considering great overclockers need to deviate from the reference design, no.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

14 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

That and they took so long to release it that many of the people who were interested in buying an extreme 980ti would end up with a Kingpin instead (esp since it has a EKWB).

But who cares? GM200 is really invariant compared to well, any gpu ever, so much so that buying and watercooling two MSI 6G 980tis can get you top in the class results.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That and they took so long to release it that many of the people who were interested in buying an extreme 980ti would end up with a Kingpin instead (esp since it has a EKWB).

But who cares? GM200 is really invariant compared to well, any gpu ever, so much so that buying and watercooling two MSI 6G 980tis can get you top in the class results.

I was so close to trade my Strix card for the Matrix relized there is no water cooling support and said hell no.

- Albert Einstein

1. Stupid Title 2. Good  aircooled 980ti's Cards can get the same Results than watercooled Cards.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

1. Stupid Title 2. Good  aircooled 980ti's Cards can get the same Results than watercooled Cards.

Are cooling on itsn't good either

- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

Have you even read the guru3d review? It hits 63c under load on air. 

It's one of, if not the best cooled 980 ti on the market. 

You can always use a universal block, I use a universal block on mine and I have a 120mm fan pointed at the vram and vrm,  vrm and vram temps never exceed 50c and the core stays chilly around 28-33 under load. 

The 980 ti matrix is one of the BEST 980 ti on the market. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

12 minutes ago, Lays said:

Have you even read the guru3d review? It hits 63c under load on air. 

It's one of, if not the best cooled 980 ti on the market. 

You can always use a universal block, I use a universal block on mine and I have a 120mm fan pointed at the vram and vrm,  vrm and vram temps never exceed 50c and the core stays chilly around 28-33 under load. 

The 980 ti matrix is one of the BEST 980 ti on the market. 

Should I exchange my 980Ti for it?

- Albert Einstein

If you called it crap because the included cooler is crap, I may somewhat (just somewhat) agree with you (though benchmarks say otherwise). But if you called it crap because there's no waterblock for it... not Asus' fault you didn't do your research. I mean... there's the MSI Lightning that has a waterblock from Bitspower, the EVGA Kingpin that has a waterblock from EKWB (even slims it down to a one-slot card), and waterblocks galore for other 980 Ti's (well, dunno if Zotac's AMP! Extreme Edition has one, but still). You had options... you just didn't look hard enough.

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

Should I exchange my 980Ti for it?

If you don't have to spend a bunch of money on top of your 980 ti,  then yeah totally. 

It will perform better, quieter and cooler than a strix.   Mine did 1520-1530 on the core and 8800 on the memory in benchmarks on air,  and 1500/8400 24/7 stable. 

On water I can do 1550-1575 in benchmarks on core and 9100 on memory with a updated memory OC bios from one of Asus extreme overclocking guys. 

Haven't bothered finding a new 24/7 stable but I imagine I can probably do 1525/8600 now. 

I'll be using dry ice on it soon,  it should do 1700 or so, maybe a tiny more or less. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089