As an audio enthusiast, what annoys you the most?

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,
3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

What annoys you the most with audio stuff?

The constant "it doesn't have enough base bro". Base is necessary to an extend but I hope you know what I am talking about.

An example: When my friend once went one about how the Custom One Pros didn't have enough base (even in the max position). He liked the "skull candy"-like-rumble-edition-whatever-cans better. that is waht I am talking about.

My top three things are probably:

1. Wanky audio gear like the stupid speaker cables you can buy that cost like 20x as much and offer literally no appreciable advantage

2: My school's audio setups in each room for the PC carts, seriously you have some badass high end speakers on the cart and you are using the built in speaker in the tower, WHY???

3: My previous school's setup where the speakers are on the side of the room, right next to each other, nowhere near the projector screen. Seriously, what happened to stereo separation or at least placing the damn things WHERE THE SCREEN IS???

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The constant "it doesn't have enough base bro". Base is necessary to an extend but I hope you know what I am talking about.

An example: When my friend once went one about how the Custom One Pros didn't have enough base (even in the max position). He liked the "skull candy"-like-rumble-edition-whatever-cans better. that is waht I am talking about.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Audio enthusiasts./s

I hate people who think they know what they're talking about, same with computers. Hell, I don't know what "audiophiles" are saying most of the time when it comes to audio, but at least I admit it.

Oh, and people that think Beats are the best ever. Fuck those guys.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Gah, this by far. 

Has been edited. Furthermor, added a story.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Audio enthusiasts./s

I hate people who think they know what they're talking about, same with computers. Hell, I don't know what "audiophiles" are saying most of the time when it comes to audio, but at least I admit it.

Oh, and people that think Beats are the best ever. Fuck those guys.

@iamdarkyoshi I edited it

My sony MDR 101's sound better than your beats. Sure, they do not have as much bass, but they certainly have a more flat frequency response then those damn things... therefore better, it is closer to the original audio...

1080p movies which have shite audio bitrate + quality.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The pricing of audio gear. 

Just think about how overpriced some high-end audio gear is. 

He1000s are $3000. I refuse to believe that they are twice as good as the HD800s (which are also overpriced as hell), and I doubt even more that they are 6 times as good as the He400is.

I know of the law of diminishing returns, but there has to be some reason to the madness. 

And just think about the new Orpheus headphones. They are $50.000, and they will only open up for headphones that are even more expensive. 

50 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

There are audio enthusiasts and then there are these self-diluted dickheads that are just completely nuts... 

Head-fi possibly?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Anything PC audio related haha. ASIO4ALL can S my D. I just want that shit to WORK haha.

Insert other media

Also it's hilarious when you're using ASIO4ALL and you hover over an option and it says 'computers hate you' lmfao

8 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I used to love the power drill type bass from my headphones but ever since I got my Fidelio X2's I quickly realised that a more ambient bass sounds a hell lot better and doesn't muffle away the highs and mids... and give me a headache :P Sadly dealing with people that only rate headphones based on bass power is something you/we have to deal :/

#justaudiophilethings

1. When you have a great setup, but the song you want to listen to is a crappy quality.
  2. When you cant use all of your gear(like today when I forgot my AMP, gah).
  3. When you spend a bunch of money on gear, and everybody thinks you're a dork for spending so much money on audio gear.

The phrase "drive your headphones to their full potential". It's probably the most egregious cause of wasted money in this hobby.

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My sony MDR 101's sound better than your beats. Sure, they do not have as much bass, but they certainly have a more flat frequency response then those damn things... therefore better, it is closer to the original audio...

When I tried my friend's Beats Studio (the first ones,) anything that had lyrics sounded horrible. The audio does not have any kind of clarity, the highs are barely even there, and most of what you hear is bass. Mids are okay, actually, but sound quality is nothing close to my brother's HD 558's. I don't know why people think they're so great. Nothing close to reference audio, too bassy, vocals are muffled. Worst pair of expensive headphones I've tried.

Now I'm no audiophile, but Beats suck for the price.

I used to be quite active here.

Electrical interference and background noise (for recording). Blegh. I haven't been able to record a single project since I moved into this apartment because the windows are so thin that I can actually hear people's feet on the sidewalk as they walk by outside.

Also computer noise. I built my PC specifically how it is so that 1) it can run as close to dead silent as possible when I want to record, and 2) I can crank it the eff up when I want to do some gaming. Any computer noise in a recording (that I'm working on) is unacceptable to me.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

When you spend a bunch of money on gear, and everybody thinks you're a dork for spending so much money on audio gear.

And then they say to just buy beats because the sound better and are a better buy for the price... Ugh, I hate my school. I have seen several people who use those beats things and I had them close their eyes, I put my sony MDR 101 headphones on them, and they said they sound just as good. Which is funny because these headphones are NOTHING special.

i hate head fi snob forum

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

And then they say to just buy beats because the sound better and are a better buy for the price... Ugh, I hate my school. I have seen several people who use those beats things and I had them close their eyes, I put my sony MDR 101 headphones on them, and they said they sound just as good. Which is funny because these headphones are NOTHING special.

With some big-name things, particularly Beats and Bose, you're paying a lot for the brand name (though Bose does tend to offer good quality). In the case of Beats, you're paying almost exclusively for the name. 

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

With some big-name things, particularly Beats and Bose, you're paying a lot for the brand name (though Bose does tend to offer good quality). In the case of Beats, you're paying almost exclusively for the name. 

I had to fix a kid's beats headphones becuase they stopped working after a DAY of use. TWO of the wires from the battery holder popped off, and all of the soldering work inside looks to have been done with a lighter...

Just now, Fooshi said:

God, I hate ASIO4ALL. I remember trying to set up FL Studio in my earlier years and getting that shit to work without having to use Windows Audio with massive latency problems due to shitty hardware. 

It's great that it exists, but it looks straight out of windows XP and it's time for a new comer lol 

People who uses the word "earbuds" to describe anything that is not on-ears or over-ear headphones.

Most people are thinking IEM/canalphones whenever they create a thread of whatever. It's frustrating for people who legitimately want earbuds rather than IEM/canalphones.

27 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

1080p movies which have shite audio bitrate + quality.

Or listening to low bitrate youtube-rip charts in a crappy 12 person van on a highway at night...

I had that for about a week on a school trip, UHhh! It felt literally like you could hear how sample by sample was played. I died those nights. And the music was killed with me.

3.Use

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Or listening to low bitrate youtube-rip charts in a crappy 12 person van on a highway at night...

I had that for about a week on a school trip, UHhh! It felt literally like you could hear how sample by sample was played. I died those nights. And the music was killed with me.

Hence why i always had my MP3 player with me in my school years.

Heck, i even remember when i still used my Sony Walkman in school.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

35 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I had to fix a kid's beats headphones becuase they stopped working after a DAY of use. TWO of the wires from the battery holder popped off, and all of the soldering work inside looks to have been done with a lighter...

Lol. I almost feel bad for the kid, but at the same time, it's just another example of how big names often get away with delivering garbage quality.