As an audio enthusiast, what annoys you the most?

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,
3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

What annoys you the most with audio stuff?

The constant "it doesn't have enough base bro". Base is necessary to an extend but I hope you know what I am talking about.

An example: When my friend once went one about how the Custom One Pros didn't have enough base (even in the max position). He liked the "skull candy"-like-rumble-edition-whatever-cans better. that is waht I am talking about.

1. When people call normal headphones cans. THERE NOT FUCKING CANS!

cans is the slang given in the theatre industry to the communication headsets which have a microphone. Would understand if you called your headset cans, but not your normal headphones.

2. The amount of different descriptive terms for how audio sounds there are way too fucking many how am I meant to remember all of them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

3. Audio receivers. I DONT FUCKING NEED YOU I HAVE A AMP TO POWER THE SPEAKERS AND I HAVE A COMPUTER A MILLION TIMES MORE POWERFUL TO CONTROL THE SURROUND SYSTEM WHY DO YOU EXIST AS A PRODUCT!

4. Harman Audio Group, STOP MAKING PROFESSIONAL COMPANIES MAKE CHEAP CONSUMER SHIT! YOU DICKS!

5. People who dont know how to calculate Sound pressure level from impedance, voltage and sensitivity. Just because your amp works doesn't mean its helping!

6. The DJ effect. STOP TURNING YOUR FUCKING GAIN UP YOU DICKS! I'M MIXING THE AUDIO I DONT NEED YOU TO BE PEAKING BEFORE IT REACHES MY DESK!

7. Why is there no standard for specification one company things are measured one meter away while others its ten meters then others measure sensitivity with watts while others use volts FUCKING PICK ONE AND USE JUST THAT ONE!

8. Specification sheets which dont come with a frequency response graph. 20 to 40k Hz doesnt mean shit.

9. Speakers which dont have speaker directivity diagrams in the specification sheets.

The Dick of the audio page!

2 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

Hence why i always had my MP3 player with me in my school years.

Heck, i even remember when i still used my Sony Walkman in school.

But there is a difference between "these are todays standarts" and "LOL I DON'T CARE".

Your story is not half as bad.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

3 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The constant "it doesn't have enough base bro". Base is necessary to an extend but I hope you know what I am talking about.

An example: When my friend once went one about how the Custom One Pros didn't have enough base (even in the max position). He liked the "skull candy"-like-rumble-edition-whatever-cans better. that is waht I am talking about.

Theres not enough sub unless your trousers are vibrating

The Dick of the audio page!

1. People, especially Youtubers, who think they know about audio but don't even know what impedance is, besides this rating they found on a box. This applies to basically every single Youtuber I've seen. Sadly, I'm not even exaggerating.

2. Placebofile audiopeels.

3. Car speakers that overemphasize the bass. I got some $5 earphones from Walmart that emphasizes part of the bass, but it's ok. But some car speakers are ridiculous.

4. People who think Beats are the worst, and that by claiming that they are somehow in the know about audio and their opinion is worth anything.

5. Earbuds that hurt my ear.

6. Fucking Dolby Headphones, worst shit ever invented.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

6 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

People with these kind of preferences need to re-align their expectations when it comes to headphones. If you want bass you save up for a good sub, not get ridiculously terrible headphones.

10 minutes ago, SSL said:

People with these kind of preferences need to re-align their expectations when it comes to headphones. If you want bass you save up for a good sub, not get ridiculously terrible headphones.

10 inches will satisfy most people... at least that's what she said.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Just now, LokiFire said:

10 inches will satisfy most people... at least that's what she said.

I prefer 12 in a sealed box.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

I prefer 12 in a sealed box.

Good mixture of punch and low's, get them 15's if you want concrete rippling bass :P

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

3 hours ago, LokiFire said:

Good mixture of punch and low's, get them 15's if you want concrete rippling bass :P

I have a vintage JBL Grand touring 15in in the back of my truck, powered by a vintage GTQ 240 and a small Streetwires 1/4 farad capacitor and noise choke, and a vintage Sony CDX U8000, and unfortunately my dad is using the nice Grand Touring JBL Kevlar speakers and GT titanium tweeters so I am just using some pioneer ones I found in a box of crap I had. Sounds pretty damn good though for a total cost of $tuffIfoundinmyshed.

Of course, the sub had a cone alignment issue, I solved it by lightly biasing the cone with a rubber tube tied to the basket, no more scraping on the voice coil.

Also, the head unit's CD player does not work, the LCD is starting to bleed on the bottom, it is missing the walkman button on the front, and any vibration in the vehicle causes it to shut off

And the GTQ240 had a small internal explosion when my dad tried to start the car with a flat battery, so I had to repair the charred board near the mosfets and replace all four mosfets, I got them out of a dead UPS backup. Higher current rating and lower on resistance, same voltage rating, same pinout. Been working flawlessly ever since.

All is well :D

People who say that absolutely dead flat response is perfect in all scenarios, when often a touch of warmth (audiotechnica is a great example) let you have a clear, reasonably accurate sound while still letting you enjoy your music.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

People who say that absolutely dead flat response is perfect in all scenarios, when often a touch of warmth (audiotechnica is a great example) let you have a clear, reasonably accurate sound while still letting you enjoy your music.

I agree. It is nice to have some fun once in a while (extra bass while watching action movies anyone?) but I would still prefer a flat response to something horribly distorted

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I agree. It is nice to have some fun once in a while (extra bass while watching action movies anyone?) but I would still prefer a flat response to something horribly distorted

I agree, I don't want skull-shattering bass at the expense of all else, but I'm also not trying to closely monitor the vocalist for editing. I want to enjoy my music, not analyse it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

10 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

3. Audio receivers. I DONT FUCKING NEED YOU I HAVE A AMP TO POWER THE SPEAKERS AND I HAVE A COMPUTER A MILLION TIMES MORE POWERFUL TO CONTROL THE SURROUND SYSTEM WHY DO YOU EXIST AS A PRODUCT!

Lol I totally agree

IMG_20160203_220420.thumb.jpg.e2d133cf17

This tiny little power supply case actually contains three 50W amps inside. Perfect for what I need. Although a reciever does sometimes mix the 5.1 to stereo for headphones, something I wish my setup could do so headphones switching is seamless as far as games are concerned

As of late, one thing and one thing alone.... An M50X recommendation for every fucking thread that pops up about OP wanting new headphones or headset to play their games with.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

17 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

1. When people call normal headphones cans. THERE NOT FUCKING CANS!

cans is the slang given in the theatre industry to the communication headsets which have a microphone. Would understand if you called your headset cans, but not your normal headphones.

2. The amount of different descriptive terms for how audio sounds there are way too fucking many how am I meant to remember all of them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

4. Harman Audio Group, STOP MAKING PROFESSIONAL COMPANIES MAKE CHEAP CONSUMER SHIT! YOU DICKS!

5. People who dont know how to calculate Sound pressure level from impedance, voltage and sensitivity. Just because your amp works doesn't mean its helping!

6. The DJ effect. STOP TURNING YOUR FUCKING GAIN UP YOU DICKS! I'M MIXING THE AUDIO I DONT NEED YOU TO BE PEAKING BEFORE IT REACHES MY DESK!

7. Why is there no standard for specification one company things are measured one meter away while others its ten meters then others measure sensitivity with watts while others use volts FUCKING PICK ONE AND USE JUST THAT ONE!

8. Specification sheets which dont come with a frequency response graph. 20 to 40k Hz doesnt mean shit.

9. Speakers which dont have speaker directivity diagrams in the specification sheets.

Agree with most, but not about receivers.

They definitely have a place. Very useful.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1. The fact that people says that "gaming" headsets are the best type of headsets or headphones for gaming.

2. People who says headphones like Beast are the best thing ever.

3. Money=sound quality NOT TRUE

4. People that think Bose and B&O makes the best headphones.

5. People who don't understand why I have more than 1 pair of headphones and gets mad when I say that I don't understand why they have more than one jacket or one pair of shoes.

6. People who acts like they know alot about sound and headphones but don't know anything.

7. Fanboys

8. People who think that their headphones or headset is the best because a youtuber uses them.

9. People who calls headphones for headsets or the other way around.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

20 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My top three things are probably:

1. Wanky audio gear like the stupid speaker cables you can buy that cost like 20x as much and offer literally no appreciable advantage

2: My school's audio setups in each room for the PC carts, seriously you have some badass high end speakers on the cart and you are using the built in speaker in the tower, WHY???

3: My previous school's setup where the speakers are on the side of the room, right next to each other, nowhere near the projector screen. Seriously, what happened to stereo separation or at least placing the damn things WHERE THE SCREEN IS???

What annoys you the most with audio stuff?

At my high school:

1. There are speakers in the ceiling, I tested them once. I forget the exact numbers, but they literally couldn't produce 90% of 'bass level' frequencies. 

2. I work in the performing arts center at my school (biggest one in upper New England), and am in there at least twice a week for various projects. The audio side of things is basically ran by me. Pictures here: pac-auditorium-sandy_agrafiotis-600x400.

Except for the part where whoever the hell installed those ceiling tiles, literally glued them to some strings. Nobody was allowed in the PAC for a month while they removed them because one almost fell off. Lol. The company then went bankrupt when legal action was taken (they went bankrupt before we could sue their asses for what they did). There aren'y any ceiling tiles like that now, but it still sounds fine. Anyways:

People love to...well, fuck with my shit in the PAC (performing arts center), aka moving cables, headsets, changing stuff on the board, leveling out the board, moving my microphones, locking everything, oh, and telling me that phantom power is extremely dangerous. 

You may not get all of this, but it's pretty bad. Oh and someone bought an analogue sound board for a 5m theatre. about 7k on an analogue board, when digital was a thing when it was built. Help meeee

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

31 minutes ago, Derpologist said:

At my high school:

1. There are speakers in the ceiling, I tested them once. I forget the exact numbers, but they literally couldn't produce 90% of 'bass level' frequencies. 

2. I work in the performing arts center at my school (biggest one in upper New England), and am in there at least twice a week for various projects. The audio side of things is basically ran by me. Pictures here: snippy

Except for the part where whoever the hell installed those ceiling tiles, literally glued them to some strings. Nobody was allowed in the PAC for a month while they removed them because one almost fell off. Lol. The company then went bankrupt when legal action was taken (they went bankrupt before we could sue their asses for what they did). There aren'y any ceiling tiles like that now, but it still sounds fine. Anyways:

People love to...well, fuck with my shit in the PAC (performing arts center), aka moving cables, headsets, changing stuff on the board, leveling out the board, moving my microphones, locking everything, oh, and telling me that phantom power is extremely dangerous. 

You may not get all of this, but it's pretty bad. Oh and someone bought an analogue sound board for a 5m theatre. about 7k on an analogue board, when digital was a thing when it was built. Help meeee

Oh please dont even get me started on my schools PAC stuff...

51 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oh please dont even get me started on my schools PAC stuff...

lol, id love to hear something. 

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Just now, Derpologist said:

lol, id love to hear something. 

The things on the ceiling (were) called sound clouds, so I always joke that they fell just like soundcloud's servers. 

20 hours ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

There sure is an awful lot of vinegar in this thread.xD

What? I know what vinegar is but I don't understand the context.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

When you want to buy some sweet gear and then you discover the price and you drift into eternal darkness contemplating how broke you are 

Then you decide to settle for entry level shit and you read reviews and tell yourself that hey it can't be THAT bad, then you buy it and it is THAT bad and you come to the audio subforums of LTT where everyone is going to shred your hopes and whatever quantity of self esteem you had

mfw

18 minutes ago, Generallee said:

When you want to buy some sweet gear and then you discover the price and you drift into eternal darkness contemplating how broke you are 

Then you decide to settle for entry level shit and you read reviews and tell yourself that hey it can't be THAT bad, then you buy it and it is THAT bad and you come to the audio subforums of LTT where everyone is going to shred your hopes and whatever quantity of self esteem you had

mfw

But entry level is not always bad :/ unless your budget is like lunchmoney level. I don't mean to insult you but I don't agree.

3.Use