iPad Pro outsells Surface sales?! (IDC says)

GoodBytes

IDC is a large market research firms, and many uses their data to measure how a product market share is at, how a platform is doing, especially that many manufactures don't reveals exact numbers for each individual product and models, and regroup things. They are normally a trusted source.

They claim that the iPad Pro, has sold more than Surface. They say first, that tablet sales has dropped a lot Q4 2015 despite the holiday season, at a world wide level, in their report. It has been going down 13.7% year over year. In 2015, total tablets shipments were 206.8 million, down -10.1% from 230.1 million in the prior year.

IDC-Tablets-2015.png.a79a0daeb511b724905

IDC is highlighting that while tablets tanked, hybrid system have been increasing. The company refers hybrid 2-in-1 devices as "detachable tablets". They claiming that shipment has more than doubled in Q4 of 2015. Reaching 8.1 million devices that have been shipped.

Jean Philippe Bouchard, IDC Research Director for Tablets, says:

One of the biggest reasons why detachable are growing so fast is because end users are seeing those devices as PC replacements. We believe Apple sold just over two million iPad Pros while Microsoft sold around 1.6 million Surface devices, a majority of which were Surface Pro and not the more affordable Surface 3. With these results, it’s clear that price is not the most important feature considered when acquiring a detachable – performance is.

IDC-detachable-tablets-2015.png.6369562b

Source:  http://www.winbeta.org/news/idc-surface-ipad-pro-sales-lead-detachable-tablet-revolution

However, something is missing... Surface Book. It seems that IDC is considering the Surface Pro, despite detachable, a laptop. Also, how can the iPad Pro be considered detachable, is an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard considered "detachable", I mean it is. But the OS isn't adapting like it does on Windows 10 (if you want). Why the Surface Book not included?

It is true that Apple has stronger marketing power than Microsoft, and it is true that Apple has better distribution channels than Microsoft, not only able to keep demand, which prevents loss of customers switch to another product, and also offer the device in more countries. But, what is a "detachable" tablet, is something completely not explained in the report. As such, I would take this report as a grain of salt, until both Apple and Microsoft sales figures are out, and now we can compare.  However, it is most likely that Microsoft will only show revenues, and Apple regroup all iPad together sold, to show a big figure, and hide failing products.

It must be noted, that this is only looking at last quarter, not total sales. So while, maybe IDC is correct. But like Apple Watch, we have to see if the trend actually continues, or it was a just a blip for Apple.

What do you think? Do you believe that iPad Pro are actually selling? Do you know people with it?

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

the iPod Pro

:P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've used an iPad pro and it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to massive to use as a tablet IMO but I have Linus hands so :P I'd much prefer a surface book

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

See, this is why people make fun of Apple customers. A far inferior product priced higher than its competition still outselling it.

Note: I'm not saying that Apple customers should be made fun of, just that things like this are the reason why they are.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

7 minutes ago, Kherm said:

WHY

THE iPAD PRO IS HORSESHIT COMPARED TO SURFACE

Cause and iPad is still and iPad, Total Biscut got one to do common iPad stuff on it, like gaming and media which has always been what the iPads have excelled at, so while the iPad pro is piss for professional purposes, its still an iPad and people like it for that, we would know how many of those Pro are actually being used for work if IDC also tracked the keyboard and pencil sales.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

20 minutes ago, Daegun said:

See, this is why people make fun of Apple customers. A far inferior product priced higher than its competition still outselling it.

Note: I'm not saying that Apple customers should be made fun of, just that things like this are the reason why they are.

I agree that the iPad Pro would be better with OS X, but that said... If all you want is an iOS device with a large screen to watch Netflix and e-mail. Hey, it fits the bill. 

You can't make assumptions like that without more market research around the needs and requirements of the consumers that are purchasing devices. That said, you're right that a portion of those sales are likely driven by marketing and brand recognition. 

7 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

I agree that the iPad Pro would be better with OS X, but that said... If all you want is an iOS device with a large screen to watch Netflix and e-mail. Hey, it fits the bill. 

You can't make assumptions like that without more market research around the needs and requirements of the consumers that are purchasing devices. That said, you're right that a portion of those sales are likely driven by marketing and brand recognition. 

That's the thing though, there's no apps currently on iOS that couldn't be done on a regular iPad for hundreds less in cost. Anything the iPad Pro can do, a regular iPad can do the same. If it had OS X we would be having a different conversation, but with iOS it's a worse option than others in every way you look at it.

Edit: I did forget about the cut-down photoshop and others they introduced. Those probably run a lot better on the iPad Pro, but again, at that point just go for a Surface Pro or some other Windows tablet and get the full version.

Edited by Daegun

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

8 minutes ago, Daegun said:

That's the thing though, there's no apps currently on iOS that couldn't be done on a regular iPad for hundreds less in cost. Anything the iPad Pro can do, a regular iPad can do the same. If it had OS X we would be having a different conversation, but with iOS it's a worse option than others in every way you look at it.

Edit: I did forget about the cut-down photoshop and others they introduced. Those probably run a lot better on the iPad Pro, but again, at that point just go for a Surface Pro or some other Windows tablet and get the full version.

I agree with your points, if you're a price driven consumer (and there are options), then the iPad Pro probably isn't for you. 

What I was saying is that if you're buying criteria includes iOS (this does happen for a lot of people who aren't as tech savvy as this forum, or for older generations of people), and aesthetics (excusing the hideous pencil, and a few other faupas) then the iPad Pro is by no means a bad choice, it's just maybe not the best value choice. 

Think about it this way... If you have $100,000 to spend, then the difference of $200 on an iPad Pro and a Samsung equivalent is less likely to influence the purchasing decision, than if you had $1000 to spend on the tablet. 

So this is supposed to be surprising or unexpected? I'd be a lot more surprised if it was the other way around: MS is the new comer with their product and ipads have been around for years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

is anyone surprised by this?  most of the world isn't tech literate... so thats what most of the world buys... and on top of that there are some apple fanboi's of the tech literate people... and there are some tech literate people that have to buy it so it works for their job... 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Not surprised. Many people dont know about the Surface and if a consumer finds out about they'll shout "iPad pro ripofff hurr durr." 

Alot of schools are also transitioning to ipads, and im willing to bet $richparent is buying johnny the iPad pro.

- snip-

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Snip

I have one word for you. China.

Surface devices are the Most Productive Devices on The Planet (and second place is Lumia XD).

#DoGreatThings

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

ITT: People arguing about a null point. 

further proof than Apple hipsters will by anything with an Apple logo on it.....I'm betting if the release a turd with an Apple logo on it they would buy it..........oh wait, they already did that its the Ipad pro....

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----