AnonSec changes flight path of NASA's $222m drone in order to crash it

NovusBal

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/anonsec-hacks-nasa-tries-to-crash-222m-drone/

Hackers from AnonSec have reportedly hacked NASA, leaking 276GB of private data and attempting to crash a $222m drone into the ocean,according to InfoWars.  The data dump includes 631 videos from aircraft and weather radars, 2,143 flight logs, and the e-mail addresses and phone numbers of 2,414 NASA employees.

So for those who don't know, AnonSec are a group of hackers that do a bunch of different stuff, from hacking tonnes of private websites to being general nuisances, and in this case, it is definitely the latter of the two. They have gained access to, and dumped lots of private information about employees, NASA owned data and even flight logs, although this may seem initially not that great it is surprising what you can achieve with this information.

Soon after, AnonSec realised that some of these flight paths were instructions sent to NASA’s Global Hawk drone. AnonSec then replaced NASA’s sanctioned flight paths with its own malicious version (see map below) in an effort to crash it into the Pacific Ocean. NASA ground control noticed the discrepancy during the Global Hawk’s flight, however, and prevented the crash.

NASA-drone-path.jpg?w=793

With what they gained access, as you can see above, they planned to crash this very expensive drone, which could have been disastrous both in cost for NASA and it's public relations, after-all a leading company can't just allow for these groups to both get access and enough control to be capable of this, but thankfully it was stopped before it could happen.

Honestly, everytime I see one of these little hacking groups pulling a stunt, they seem to want to do something very malicious, then right after claim something along the lines of 'Owh, we were doing it just to show them there's something wrong with their security, we were going to crash that expensive drone as a lesson, we're the good guys!'. Personally, i'm getting sick of it, whatever happenned to the days of just taking down a public domain with a redirect to a Rick Astley video?

What do people think of this? My personal opinion is that yes, this shouldn't have been possible to happen in the first place, but these groups are just cropping up all over the place, and it's becoming tiresome. Let me know your opinions below.

Why the fuck..............

Like taking down NSA or ISIS websites is fine, but why crash a NASA drone? Thats just expensive and the same as those stupid script kiddies ddosing console networks.

Hackers like this give the whole hacking community a bad name

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Infowars

Totally believable.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Sidiox said:

Why the fuck..............

Like taking down NSA or ISIS websites is fine, but why crash a NASA drone? Thats just expensive and the same as those stupid script kiddies ddosing console networks.

Hackers like this give the whole hacking community a bad name

there black hat hackers it's what they do, just fuck around with everything because their daddy touched them as a kid

1010011010/29A

Just now, Mazeman03 said:

there black hat hackers it's what they do, just fuck around with everything because their daddy touched them as a kid

AnonSec isn't strictly blackhat imo. More grey. Although this was defo a black hat act

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Luckily it didn't carry a bomb...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I just want someone to hack Donald Trump and transfer a small loan of a million dollars into my bank account, but no, we have to crash my tax dollars into the Pacific for shiggles.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

And Kyouma was the leader of the operation :ph34r:

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Out of all the government agencies... f*cking NASA? They release most of their sh*t anyways!

Just because you *can* hack it doesn't mean you *should*. God damn what a stupid waste of everyone's (including Anonsec's) time.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

It's situations like this that really piss me off - and these hacking groups wonder why they don't have public sympathy when they do go after legit targets like ISIS...

Fucking bastards. Crashing a $200m NASA drone that does scientific research?

If you want to teach NASA a lesson about their security, then rename a file, and make a new file of the original file name that says "lol your security sucks" or something.

Fuck you, you piece of shit, lowlife hackers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So, all the time i hear about NASA's website and other services being hacked... Does NASA even protects theyr own servers and machinery -.-?

Groomlake Authority

NASA isn't really allowed to have private data, aside from passwords, equations and such. Everything they do has to be publicly available after 24 hours right?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

58 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

NASA isn't really allowed to have private data, aside from passwords, equations and such. Everything they do has to be publicly available after 24 hours right?

Most of the data, yes. But all employee data is still 100% confidential. The hackers doxxed 2414 NASA employees. That is in no way acceptable. That is a criminal action that cannot be justified.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

These type of attacks are just retarded, I'll never understand why people do this (or shitty mean stuff in general). Good job NASA for stopping this I guess?

I'll believe it when I see it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Infowars

Totally believable.

Alexander Jones, public alarmist #1.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am all for good hackers (like the ones who hacked the "affair" site, its name does not come to mind at the moment)

But hackers that do stuff like this, I really hope karma does its course. 

Well, that's one way of showing 'your security sucks' but damn, that's a costly one if it did crash. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a terrorist attack, and whoever is responsible is going to wish they never did it.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Maybe they knew something about the drone we didn't? Perhaps something more than meets the eye? >.>

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Can't even be arsed to think of anything more than...

Fucking Disgusting Behaviour.

Why target NASA?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

54 minutes ago, Valermos said:

Maybe they knew something about the drone we didn't? Perhaps something more than meets the eye? >.>

Very skeptical about that. I'd need to see some very hard evidence that NASA was up to no good. Why would they? They have limited funding as it is. The defence department has much more funding, and much better ways and doing "secret" and "shady" projects. Using NASA would be inefficient and a large security risk.

Even my tinfoil hat wearing ass doesn't believe anything that comes out of InfoWars

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I am all for good hackers (like the ones who hacked the "affair" site, its name does not come to mind at the moment)

But hackers that do stuff like this, I really hope karma does its course. 

how the fuck was that good? That was clearly a black hat hack.