Headphones for DJing and general music listening

davidgr95

Hey guys!  I have a budget of around $250 Canadian Dollars.  It is flexible, but of course keeping it under that price is preferred!  I do some DJing every once in a while, and I'm also looking for a good pair of on or over ear headphones for music listening while I'm at work.  I'd prefer to buy from Long-McQuade or Amazon!

Edit: I guess I should include what I listen to.  Mostly EDM and rap/hip hop, with some rock and metal thrown in throughout the day.

DJ7 or DJ8 from sennheiser, i would agree with the 900Xs but i don't like the flap headband system which i find to be uncomfortable.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Much much better than the M-50's

I tried the M-50s in store, and I was very disappointed... I'm sad that I can't get Aiaiai TMA-2's here soon, I loved the TMA-1's until I snapped the headband :/

Well the senhiser hd25 are popular as hell for djs not to sure why. There on ears though.

Audiotechnicas ath m50 nice over ears (before i get shit for saying you should get the 40s there the same well there not in this case you dont know the differences and what you want while djing.)

The Dick of the audio page!

I tried the M-50s in store, and I was very disappointed... I'm sad that I can't get Aiaiai TMA-2's here soon, I loved the TMA-1's until I snapped the headband :/

Yeah they are just rather underwhelming, not worth the YouTube hype around them

You could always pick up the TMA-1's again?  :P

And I second what @SSL and @H4X3R said, the DJ7/8's are pretty great from what I hear (I've never actually tried them like the 900X's) but I've only heard good things 

What was so disappointing about them? I think they're the best pair of headphones I've ever tried, but you know that's my opinion. What do you mean by "DJing"? actually spinning records at a club or sitting at home making stuff?

You could always pick up the TMA-1's again?  :P

I wish!  They've been discontinued and they are like $700+ on Amazon, while the TMA-2's are $250 from what I've seen, but out of stock everywhere around me...

What was so disappointing about them? I think they're the best pair of headphones I've ever tried, but you know that's my opinion. What do you mean by "DJing"? actually spinning records at a club or sitting at home making stuff?

Mostly out at clubs.  I felt like their sound was very flat, but maybe that's by design?  I'm in no ways and audiophile, but I knew that they were very popular, they seemed to be just average when I listened.

HD7 DJ

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wish!  They've been discontinued and they are like $700+ on Amazon, while the TMA-2's are $250 from what I've seen, but out of stock everywhere around me...

Mostly out at clubs.  I felt like their sound was very flat, but maybe that's by design?  I'm in no ways and audiophile, but I knew that they were very popular, they seemed to be just average when I listened.

These are the TMA's you speak of correct?

EDIT: Linked the wrong ones xDTHESE @wotm

And yeah the M50's just lack a lot of soundstage, they work alright as basic studio monitors, but they definitely aren't super flat 

What was so disappointing about them? I think they're the best pair of headphones I've ever tried, but you know that's my opinion.

Translation: they're the only headphone I've tried.

Translation: they're the only headphone I've tried.

How about you stop being a rude asshole, and respect someone else's opinon? I might not have extensive expensive headphone experience, but I have tried on a lot of different headphones, some more expensive than others.

Well in clubs you definitely want some closed back cans to isolate sound, what kind of sound source did you use? Did you use any amplification? I use my M50x cans together with a FiiO E17 DAC-AMP and I can't complain about them being to flat in any way. I listen to metal, jazz, elctronics, so basically anything. I find they're very good all-round cans.

How about you stop being a rude asshole, and respect someone else's opinon?

No thanks. I don't respect opinions. Justifications are good.

These are the TMA's you speak of correct?

EDIT: Linked the wrong ones xDTHESE @wotm

And yeah the M50's just lack a lot of soundstage, they work alright as basic studio monitors, but they definitely aren't super flat 

I'm in Canada man.... plus the US$ to CAD$ exchange rate, shipping and import taxes would make it waay over my budget

Well in clubs you definitely want some closed back cans to isolate sound, what kind of sound source did you use? Did you use any amplification? I use my M50x cans together with a FiiO E17 DAC-AMP and I can't complain about them being to flat in any way. I listen to metal, jazz, elctronics, so basically anything. I find they're very good all-round cans.

While DJing, I just use my Kontrol S4 MKII, but don't have a separate DAC/AMP for the audio from my laptop.  Right now, I am actually just connected via Bluetooth to my speakers, Sony SRS X7.

While DJing, I just use my Kontrol S4 MKII, but don't have a separate DAC/AMP for the audio from my laptop.  Right now, I am actually just connected via Bluetooth to my speakers, Sony SRS X7.

I have to admit that I know very litte (read nothing at all) about DJ equipment, but a lot of higher end headphones isn't going to sound any amount of impressive without an amp and/or dac depending on your computer.

I have to admit that I know very litte (read nothing at all) about DJ equipment, but a lot of higher end headphones isn't going to sound any amount of impressive without an amp and/or dac depending on your computer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my laptop doesn't output the highest quality via the 3.5mm jack.  But I'm actually going to be moving back to Norway soon, anywhere you'd recommend checking out if I don't pick up anything before then?  4Sound maybe?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my laptop doesn't output the highest quality via the 3.5mm jack.  But I'm actually going to be moving back to Norway soon, anywhere you'd recommend checking out if I don't pick up anything before then?  4Sound maybe?

Well i went to Soundgarden a couple of times, they have their own rack of heaphones that you may test, I guess Hi-fi klubben has some too, and spaceworld too.