Using the 750 Ti for 2 years

JaZoN_XD

So I've been planning to upgrade a 970 and to sell my beloved 750 Ti. I've been using this puppy for about 2 years now, and I just wanted some feedback as to how long do you usually wait before upgrading, when you have this calibre of hardware (750 Ti calibre). I don't know if I should tough it out longer or just upgrade now or I should have long ago. Thanks.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

So I've been planning to upgrade a 970 and to sell my beloved 750 Ti. I've been using this puppy for about 2 years now, and I just wanted some feedback as to how long do you usually wait before upgrading, when you have this calibre of hardware (750 Ti calibre). I don't know if I should tough it out longer or just upgrade now or I should have long ago. Thanks.

itll probably be ok, but i  personally would have upgraded a long while ago.  what games and screens do you use?

750 Ti is still fine in my opinion.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I would suggest waiting for the next line of GPUs to drop. This is the first time they're changing the Nanometer process so the changes will be decently significant. If you have a system to hand the 970 down to another system or sell it that would be fine to get now.

I am in your situation. I have a 750ti and I am getting a 970 to hold me over till Pascal, just to hand the 970 down. 

You should tough it out, 750Ti is a very good card. 950/960 are barely an upgrade over them, 970 is a significant upgrade (but R9 390 is the same price and much more powerful).

If you upgrade you should get a AMD GPU, better P/$. Or wait till the next gen.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

IMO, the 750 ti is still enough to run most games today at a medium setting. (Thanks to game devs making console-quality graphics), and can still go strong for quite a while. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

750ti > current consoles.

Nvidia isn't known for drastic price drops on their current hardware when the new ones come out.

The 980 has gone down about $150, 970 down about $70 and the 960 went down by $40 since their introduction.

They're currently giving away a $50 Tomb Raider game if you purchase their select card so I doubt they will drop prices.

You should tough it out, 750Ti is a very good card. 950/960 are barely an upgrade over them, 970 is a significant upgrade (but R9 390 is the same price and much more powerful).

If you upgrade you should get a AMD GPU, better P/$. Or wait till the next gen.

i wouldn't say it's significantly powerful... it's literally a few percent. I know this but I'd still llke a 970 because shadowplay and less power consumption

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

itll probably be ok, but i  personally would have upgraded a long while ago.  what games and screens do you use?

i play bf4 and gta v and dcs. I'm the kinda guy who likes to push the settings and i've been going by with about 50 to 60 fps (luckily) because of my overclock that's pretty good for the 750 ti if i say so myself (especailly since it's one of the NON pcie power cable models) however things are getting more demanding. I'm interested to play in 080p not 4k or anything...

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I concur with most of the people above me. Tough it out until the next generation drops since you'll either experience two things:

1. The new gens are amazing and are totally the best bang-for-thy-buck at the time.
  2. The new gens are only mediocre which means purchasing a last gen card is feasible. Merchants are going to try to empty their shelves to make room for the new cards.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

I concur with most of the people above me. Tough it out until the next generation drops since you'll either experience two things:

1. The new gens are amazing and are totally the best bang-for-thy-buck at the time.
  2. The new gens are only mediocre which means purchasing a last gen card is feasible. Merchants are going to try to empty their shelves to make room for the new cards.

i don't know about the price drops though... like @fred_mertz said, Nvidia isn't known that much for the price drops and we all know that... when the 900 series came out, the 700 series dropped on a bit and was discontinued. Also, the next gen is going to be here in about a year... they are going to debut in April but who knows when it's gonna get to consumer hands? Also, the 80 series cards are probably going to be released first and then followed by the rest of the lineup so that may take a lot more longer than you'd think... Currently, I am looking at this deal of a dude selling a brand new 970 for $340 CAD. This is pretty amazing so I think i'll go for it for now.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

i don't know about the price drops though... like @fred_mertz said, Nvidia isn't known that much for the price drops and we all know that... when the 900 series came out, the 700 series dropped on a bit and was discontinued. Also, the next gen is going to be here in about a year... they are going to debut in April but who knows when it's gonna get to consumer hands? Also, the 80 series cards are probably going to be released first and then followed by the rest of the lineup so that may take a lot more longer than you'd think... Currently, I am looking at this deal of a dude selling a brand new 970 for $340 CAD. This is pretty amazing so I think i'll go for it for now.

Alright, seems like a good deal for a new 970. I think I forgot to mention that the price drops would also come from consumers who want to upgrade their systems which would in turn make them sell their cards quickly (thus, rush prices). That's all I was saying. Good luck with that deal though! It sounds sweet.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Am I the only one here a little annoyed that he didn't spell it caliber?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

i play bf4 and gta v and dcs. I'm the kinda guy who likes to push the settings and i've been going by with about 50 to 60 fps (luckily) because of my overclock that's pretty good for the 750 ti if i say so myself (especailly since it's one of the NON pcie power cable models) however things are getting more demanding. I'm interested to play in 080p not 4k or anything...

You should really be using quicksync to record, shadowplay causes stuttering with low VRAM cards (and since most games use 2+GB of vram, it will cause stuttering)

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Only one thing should matter when considering upgrading.

Can you play at the settings you want.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You should really be using quicksync to record, shadowplay causes stuttering with low VRAM cards (and since most games use 2+GB of vram, it will cause stuttering)

interesting... do you mind showing me or pointing me to how to set QSV up for recording? I already have the igpu multi monitor thing set up (i use QSV for sony vegas rendering) and now that you've mentioned QSV for recording, I'm super interested... By the way, Shadowplay does not cause stuttering even though I only have 2GB vram card. I never noticed any stuttering shadowplay and fram rates honestly only dropped like 5fps at the very most

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Only one thing should matter when considering upgrading.

Can you play at the settings you want.

That's basically what i'm asking myself, but i've got to add "can i justify the pricetag" to that equation as well though :/

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

That's basically what i'm asking myself, but i've got to add "can i justify the pricetag" to that equation as well though :/

Absolutely, we all have different priorities. I don't even own a car but spend way too much on my rig. I didn't need to upgrade, I wanted to.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I had a 750 Ti in an mITX rig and the 950 I replaced it with was a significant improvement. So I can understand wanting to upgrade. IMO it all depends on if you can wait till the end of the year or not. When Pascal comes out the 1070 will most likely have performance around the 980 or maybe even the 980 TI with an overclock. So it depends on if that's worth the wait for you. 

interesting... do you mind showing me or pointing me to how to set QSV up for recording? I already have the igpu multi monitor thing set up (i use QSV for sony vegas rendering) and now that you've mentioned QSV for recording, I'm super interested... By the way, Shadowplay does not cause stuttering even though I only have 2GB vram card. I never noticed any stuttering shadowplay and fram rates honestly only dropped like 5fps at the very most

To use Quick-Sync to record you need to record with OBS, and go into encoding in the settings and tick quick-sync (I can't select it since I don't have an intel processor)

3f7e20231d.png

Spoiler

To use Quick-Sync to record you need to record with OBS, and go into encoding in the settings and tick quick-sync (I can't select it since I don't have an intel processor)

~snip~

Thanks, I tried that already but I haven't tried to record something with it yet. My computer is really weird though, I forced the computer to think that i have a second monitor attached to it so that imaginary monitor is hooked up with the iGPU. This works and lets me use QSV for OBS, however, I can't use it to render sony vegas videos now... Before, I did not have the computer tricked into thinking it had a second monitor, all I did was unplug my GPU and plug it into the motherboard to use the iGPU whenever I needed to render a video.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Thanks, I tried that already but I haven't tried to record something with it yet. My computer is really weird though, I forced the computer to think that i have a second monitor attached to it so that imaginary monitor is hooked up with the iGPU. This works and lets me use QSV for OBS, however, I can't use it to render sony vegas videos now... Before, I did not have the computer tricked into thinking it had a second monitor, all I did was unplug my GPU and plug it into the motherboard to use the iGPU whenever I needed to render a video.

Should try it. It doesn't give any CPU hit and it looks pretty decent.

Spoiler

I think Nvidia stated that the average person upgrades their graphics card about every 3 years.