AMD Polaris GPUs Enter Testing Phase – Ellesmere, Baffin and Greenland (Vega 10) Spotted in HWiNFO Changelog

Mr_Troll

Next Generation AMD Polaris GPUs Enter Testing Phase – Ellesmere, Baffin and Greenland (Vega 10) Spotted in HWiNFO Changelog

The first thing I would like to mention is that the code names listed here, namely Ellesmere and Baffin are outdated and have been changed. They represent FinFET based (previously Arctic Islands) GPUs that were renamed when AMD shifted to the constellation based nomenclature. The fact that these have now started popping up in changelogs of AIDA64 and HWINFO means that the first engineering samples will soon be sent out. This is one of the last stages of prototyping and usually happens before or just after mass production begins.

AMD-Polaris-8-635x357.jpg

AMD’s Polaris GPU(s) spotted in HWINFO changelog

Change-logs of diagnostic tools like HWINFO add preliminary support after the manufacturer (AMD) sends them the PCI-e ID relevant to the new GPU (but not necessarily the code name!). The developers then update the codes according to the documentation that they have. This is why confirmations through change-logs are tricky to interpret and could result in a nonsensical cycle of interpretation (Devs update the code name of the PCI-E ID according to a leak, and the publications then take it as confirmation of the same).

HWINFO-AMD-Polaris-GPU-635x292.png

Greenland is believed to the fastest GPU equipped with HBM2 and built in FinFET manufacturing process. As for the Baffin and Ellesmere, we are not sure. Koduri only told us about two GPUs, so Baffin and Ellesmere could be the same thing, only one equipped with HBM and the other with GDDR5X (just a theory). Or maybe there is more than just Polaris10 and 11, but Koduri was just not ready to share such information

This waiting game kills me. So many leaks but not a single benchmark.

Source:http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-polaris-gpus-testing-hwinfo/

http://videocardz.com/58185/hwinfo-adds-preliminary-support-for-ellesmere-baffin-and-greenland

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafikkarten-Grafikkarte-97980/News/AMD-Polaris-HWiNFO-Support-1184113/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Look at Tonga line. What's Amethyst? Anyone?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I hope it's not a rebrand of the Tonga GPU.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

It's possible for something like the R7 470/470X to be the 380/380X with GDDR5X

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's the mobile version of tonga, nothing to worry about

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

that's the 380

285 was Tonga, 380 is Amethyst

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

that's the 380

285 was Tonga, 380 is Amethyst

380 is Antigua :D

Could be 3 new chips based on 14/16nm finfet and GCN 4.

Probably translate to 6 new GPU models.

Probably more than 6, particularly if you count mobile models as well.

With the added efficiency, each chip can scale better by using different memory configurations, clock speeds as well as stock piling all the "broken" chips to use in lower models.

380 is Antigua :D

what's the difference? both are based on Tonga and both start with an "A", right?

either way AMD has already confimed that the new release will all be made of 14/16 FinFet and no old chips will be in the new generation

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Tonga rebrand would be silly considering their last release was 380X

Hawaii re-rebrand would barely yield any improvement, and its TDP will stick out like a sore thumb

But anything can happen...

If you drop Tonga to 16nm you might end up dropping the current 190W TDP to 120W or lower though.

I don't know why people always twack out at AMD using rebrands for their low/mid range. As long as it's price to performance ratio is similar or better than it's Nvidia equivalent who cares?

I don't know why people always twack out at AMD using rebrands for their low/mid range. As long as it's price to performance ratio is similar or better than it's Nvidia equivalent who cares?

There shouldn't be rebrands when the new GPUs are going to use a different manufacturing process.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

So if AMD can match nvidia with cards that are refreshes of a refreshed card ( 3 generations old now), their going to walk over nvidia

They prefer the Nvidia approach.

Release a brand spanking new Maxwell based GTX 960 which is slower than AMD's rebrand R9 380.

hehe

But seriously GCN 1.2 is quite advanced so I don't mind if they rebrand it and drop it to a lower pricing tier. Would be a good thing for PC gaming ecosystem if people who cannot afford expensive GPUs can get their hands on a price-dropped R9 380. Instead of the 750TIs and R7 265 which they currently purchase.

They prefer the Nvidia approach.

they actually prefer whatever nvidias marketing tells them to prefer

i guess the y2k generation is too young to remember 400 to 500 series or the 8000 series to 9000 series from nvidia...

also it's a shame that 7970 still kicks nvidias ass in performance, with the recent drivers that card is breathing in the 780ti (a.k.a. original titan that released at $1000 anyone???) neck in some games

"Greatest leap since fermi" just happens to coincide with AMD's 4xx numbering... Coincidence? I think not.

Man my GTX 470 is still the longest lasting GPU I ever got. I hope Polaris is a repeat.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Why do people talk so much about rebrands? I doubt we will see any rebrands above a 450 or so. 14nm FF will use a new architecture, specifically designed for that node. In this case Polaris. Rebrands of any older GCN simply makes no sense what so ever, when Polaris is much more efficient, comes with HDMI 2 and DP 1.3. No way they will launch new cards without that.

So yeah, drop the chat of rebrands. They make no sense.

That being said, I still haven't seen AMD talk about 16nm FF+ in any products at all. So far I see no reason to believe we will see any 16nm ff+ products. AMD are going all in on 14nm FF LPP with both GloFo and Samsung supplying chips.

However this is great news, as the published release of Polaris chips in August seems to hold up.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"Greatest leap since fermi" just happens to coincide with AMD's 4xx numbering... Coincidence? I think not.

Well both Nvidia and AMD are jumping on 14 / 16nm finfet this year so that allows engineers from both companies to make larger leaps compared to last few years trying to squeeze out more from 28nm.

if the 490 is well priced i may pick one up, then i'll have one GPU for my VM and one for the host

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Yaay, ES are on their way, let's hope they make a good first impression :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Can't wait for computex!

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

While you are right, the people who keep bringing up rebrands are complete idiots. Nothing from the next generation from either AMD or Nvidia is a rebrand. They're all going to be 14/16nm. I dont know why we have to keep beating the damn horse. It's fucking dead.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

And still no news on nvidia side, this year is gonna be good

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P