[Poll] School Curriculum Requirements

iamdarkyoshi

So I am sitting here in Nevada after moving from South Dakota as a completed junior. So of course Nevada has much different graduation requirements, so as a senior in South Dakota, I would have has basically nothing to do in my senior year, but in Nevada, I have a shitload of stuff to make up (like 1.5 credits of P.E.!)

Also, I think some classes are far too advanced for people who will not really need to use some of them, such as my English freaking EIGHT class. I am not going to write any damn books, I was born in the 'Muricas, I know how to speak to a freaking person already! If I plan on writing books, I think advanced classes should be OPTIONAL!

And with math, I would agree that again, the basics should be required, but more advanced stuff? We live in 2016, nearly every damn person has a phone with them with a calculator.

So what are your opinions on the requirements for your area of residence? 

And with math, I would agree that again, the basics should be required, but more advanced stuff? We live in 2016, nearly every damn person has a phone with them with a calculator.

On the flipside, I don't think people should be reliant on technology for what should be basic skills.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Well, I know where I am the math curriculum is getting dumbed down year by year it seems so that could use some improvement.  As for English, you're right the high level classes are fine or even excessive, but I think there could be a better focus on it early on in the lower grades.  Then there is computer stuff, which I think is lacking seriously pretty much everywhere, but other than that everything is OK :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Own up, who said we were fine in ICT?

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

On the flipside, I don't think people should be reliant on technology for what should be basic skills.

I am talking about the problems that take several minutes to solve and are easy to screw up, not basic maths

I am not from the US, but still answered the poll (yolo..)

Personally I think you should learn more in math, English too (or for me, my first language we should learn more), science is enough, PE too and since everyone in this world will rely on computers, you should learn more about those too.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I believe art is important too, as it teaches critical thinking, thinking outside the box and shows how to show your opinion.

On a side note: I think a first aid diploma should be required to get somewhere around the age of 12-14. This is something very important and could save lifes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Obviously less everything and more IT :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Yes, we have successfully made a good community.  I don't see any trolls so far.

I'm in grade 7 and my language teacher uses teaching plans for grade 4's. Everyone hates that teacher. My science teacher is just dumb and doesnt understand anything we learn (At least I have Jacob.... We were talking about the molecular properties of water when everyone else was talking about how it looked and felt :P), but my math teacher actually gets me (Finally) and he's really into tech so were planning on starting a STEM club. He also lets me learn what the grade 8s learn so I'm ahead of my whole class. He and his son even do coding apps together :P Some teachers just need to learn how to teach properly and how to teach kids who obviously already know everything.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

12 years of english? fuc dat

12 years of history, i wouldnt mind IF WE DIDNT GO OVER THE SAME GOD DAMN THING 10 TIMES (literally, 1-6 grade covered the american revolution, 8-10 was civil war -_-)

need moar math. AP Calc BC aint high enough

AP Chem 1 and AP Physics 2 are the max? not enough

only intro to comp sci, comp sci, and AP comp sci? not enough

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

but do you know how to use every function on that calculator... And also welcome to a state that changed to the new curriculum, so we can fight Asian countries in intelligence(sorry in advance for being stereotypical)...

science is enough, PE too and since everyone in this world will rely on computers, you should learn more about those too.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I believe art is important too, as it teaches critical thinking, thinking outside the box and shows how to show your opinion.

On a side note: I think a first aid diploma should be required to get somewhere around the age of 12-14. This is something very important and could save lifes.

Ok first off no science, no computers... and PE is the best.. and I dont think we will become 100% dependent on computers...

I do think art is good  for that reason.

and no 12-14 year olds shouldent be trained. I know because there is a thing call scouting, and people that are "trained" shouldn't help, but should get professional help, and/ or help till the paramedics get there, so they have to help appropriatly, and not think they can save someones life alone.

More of everything, everyone should be well educated. I personally believe Art is the most neglected and should be bumped up the most. 

Lord of Helium.

Less English (I won't be writing books, damnit.) Math is OK, since advanced (calculus ect) is optional in most schools here. Science is OK. PE is OK, we don't need any more. Computers? Meh. Art? Depends what kind of art. Generally I don't care.

and no 12-14 year olds shouldent be trained. I know because there is a thing call scouting, and people that are "trained" shouldn't help, but should get professional help, and/ or help till the paramedics get there, so they have to help appropriatly, and not think they can save someones life alone.

I don't understand

I used to be quite active here.

12 years of english? fuc dat

12 years of history, i wouldnt mind IF WE DIDNT GO OVER THE SAME GOD DAMN THING 10 TIMES (literally, 1-6 grade covered the american revolution, 8-10 was civil war -_-)

need moar math. AP Calc BC aint high enough

AP Chem 1 and AP Physics 2 are the max? not enough

only intro to comp sci, comp sci, and AP comp sci? not enough

lucky we only get AP Physics "1"

but do you know how to use every function on that calculator...

I do CAD work and electronics design and I rarely even need the calculator. When I do, it is really simple stuff. I think they should teach us how it works first, then teach how to do it on a calculator. Not freaking BAN calculators in the ENTIRE CLASS

I do CAD work and electronics design and I rarely even need the calculator. When I do, it is really simple stuff. I think they should teach us how it works first, then teach how to do it on a calculator. Not freaking BAN calculators in the ENTIRE CLASS

Well I've seen my dad do CAD work, because thats his job, and it looks like really easy math, and I can confirm this because he can't help me with my homework since I got into ~~algebra 2...

but I do like the ban calculators, because I can do anything on the calculator, and once you need a calculator you NEED A CALCULATOR... 

I don't think the question is how much, but rather how good.

Personally, I think education should be a quality over quantity matter. Much rather have 2 periods of quality math than 4 periods of shitty math. 

And yes, we pretty much need better quality in everything (of course, this depends on country and/or state).

Math is pretty much an essential if you want to get anywhere in any college system.

English (or languages in general) helps one understand cultures and help you understand meanings in pretty much every medium. 

Science is pretty much like math. It's pretty essential.

P.E: I never really cared for, but I can see how it can be important.

Computer skills should be tought, but so should most everyday skils. I would also advocate for mechanics classes.

Art is pretty much like language classes. It helps you understand cultures, and thereby it helps you expand your cultural horizont.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Maths: Maths is insanely important and good Maths skills show that you're clever. In this country, if you can dribble and spell your own name you can get a C in Maths and English. It should be tougher to hit the higher grades, which can only be achieved by making it more challenging.

English: The blatant grammar errors on this forum are proof that English education is abysmal. Some don't even know the difference between "Quiet" and "Quite", you're and your and they're, their and there. Really annoys me.

Science: Creationists can vouch for this :P

PE: More PE is always good. I remember enjoying it when I was at school. We pretty much played Badminton for five years.

Computing: I don't see any reason that it should be a requirement; people should have the choice. Maths is more important to Computer Science at Uni than a Computer Science A-Level.

Art: I liked it because I chatted to my friends the entire time.

The US needs to seriously revamp their education system, it's abysmal.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

English seems to drag on and on despite the info I learn never actually mattering after middle school, math is at least useful for me, computers are the future, and science is required for modern society, art has it's place for the entertainment industry, and P.E isn't education, that one should be left to parents (but they seem to be meh so we need some), but seriously why do we need to interpret meaning from poetry subjective analysis is futile, use analytical skills to solve problems not for the sake of a dying art.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The US needs to seriously revamp their education system, it's abysmal.

Some states are bad some are good, I fortunately live in new england (NH specifically) which in general has a better track record than many regions, but yes they do need work to say the least

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Some states are bad some are good, I fortunately live in new england (NH specifically) which in general has a better track record than many regions, but yes they do need work to say the least

I know absolutely nothing about America states, or the ways in which they differ.

I'm curious, were you taught geography?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL