I think I screwed myself over...

Blucyrik

Let's start from the beginning.

I sold my NAS/Media PC/Mini gaming system yesterday for the intension to buy something a bit more powerful from money I earned over winter break. Long story short, it didn't turn out the way I planned it.

After selling my system for $300, I jumped on over to Craigslist, and found myself a nice Dell PowerEdge 2950 2U server... (Dual Xeon e5345, 28GB RAM, 3TB storage) for $300... After poking around on Dell's site for information on the server, I just said "What the hell, I'll try it out and probably end up buying it. It seems like a great deal."

Oh boy was I wrong.

Sure, the 2x4 core Xeons sounds nice, but they don't have hyperthreading, and only clocked at 2.3Ghz... A dealbreaker if you're even gonna try to play games on it. The RAM? It's DDR2 (Not too much of an issue in general, but rather disappointing). And lastly, the "expansion capabilites", as he called it. The server doesn't have any extra PCIe cables from the power supply, so throwing something in like a GTX 760 was out of the question. Plus, the PCIe riser card that's necessary to have for a GPU to be attached to the back, is only a PCIe 1.1 4x slot!!! Bandwidth will be severely limited if I were to even try to throw in a GPU.

Don't even get me started about noise levels either.

Surprisingly, there is ONE thing I love about this thing... the drives are new-ish (2013), they're all hot swappable, and he gave me 6 of them, 500GB each. But honestly, that's about it.

So lesson learned here... Nobody says you have to buy something on Craigslist, or any other site, just because it sounds like a good deal. Please please PLEASE make sure you know what you're buying... otherwise you're just wasting your time.

(I'll be lucky to get $350 out of this thing, maybe I'll just resell it.)

EDIT: added photos of this thing so it's easier to understand what I'm talking about :)

post-294416-0-64127800-1453261810_thumb.post-294416-0-22968600-1453261797_thumb.post-294416-0-04299400-1453261771_thumb.post-294416-0-81647500-1453261784_thumb.post-294416-0-15271400-1453261824_thumb.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

I can never recommend a dual 771 rig TBH

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

yup.  know all the details before you buy kids :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I sold my NAS/Media PC/Mini gaming system yesterday for the intension to buy something a bit more powerful from money I earned over winter break. Long story short, it didn't turn out the way I planned it.

After selling my system for $300, I jumped on over to Craigslist, and found myself a nice Dell PowerEdge 2950 2U server... (Dual Xeon e5345, 28GB RAM, 3TB storage) for $300... After poking around on Dell's site for information on the server, I just said "What the hell, I'll try it out and probably end up buying it. It seems like a great deal."

Oh boy was I wrong.

Sure, the 2x4 core Xeons sounds nice, but they don't have hyperthreading, and only clocked at 2.3Ghz... A dealbreaker if you're even gonna try to play games on it. The RAM? It's DDR2 (Not too much of an issue in general, but rather disappointing). And lastly, the "expansion capabilites", as he called it. The server doesn't have any extra PCIe cables from the power supply, so throwing something in like a GTX 760 was out of the question. Plus, the PCIe riser card that's necessary to have for a GPU to be attached to the back, is only a PCIe 1.1 4x slot!!! Bandwidth will be severely limited if I were to even try to throw in a GPU.

Don't even get me started about noise levels either.

Surprisingly, there is ONE thing I love about this thing... the drives are new-ish (2013), they're all hot swappable, and he gave me 6 of them, 500GB each. But honestly, that's about it.

So lesson learned here... Nobody says you have to buy something on Craigslist, or any other site, just because it sounds like a good deal. Please please PLEASE make sure you know what you're buying... otherwise you're just wasting your time.

(I'll be lucky to get $350 out of this thing, maybe I'll just resell it.)

Thats why you dont buy used servers when you dont know about them :P theyll get you :P

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

<snip>

Another one learns the lesson.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Definitely learned my lesson here... here's what got me really going on this thing.

- Dual Xeon CPUs

- 28GB of ECC RAM

- 3TB Storage

It sounds like such a great deal... but then you realize that's it. There's absolutely NO upgrade path whatsoever. I kinda blame Dell on that one.

step 1) dont buy a server unless you know how to interpret server hardware specs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Definitely learned my lesson here... here's what got me really going on this thing.

- Dual Xeon CPUs

- 28GB of ECC RAM

- 3TB Storage

It sounds like such a great deal... but then you realize that's it. There's absolutely NO upgrade path whatsoever. I kinda blame Dell on that one.

Lol. You are not Dell's target customer for that product. Dell deserves absolutely no blame.

why would you try and game on a server ? its meant for file transferring and storage,and long term reliability . not blazing speed and wicked performance.  

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Lol. You are not Dell's target customer for that product. Dell deserves absolutely no blame.

No no no... That's not what I blame Dell for... I blame Dell for not designing a better upgrade path for this thing.

- You're limited to PCIe 1.1 8x and 4x slots.

- The max capacity for each hot swap tray can hold is 750GB.

- I'm pretty sure this is the highest end CPU combo you can use.

- Dual Xeon CPUs

- 28GB of ECC RAM

- 3TB Storage

It's not SUPPOSED to have an upgrade path other than CPUs, hard drives and maybe the network.  It's a 2U server, it's not a gaming PC, it was never designed to be a gaming PC, you wanted a gaming PC.  This is like trying to blame Freightliner because you bought one of their dump trucks and you're finding out that it's a terrible family car for picking up groceries or the kids at soccer practice.

Dude it's a freaking poweredge 2950... what did you expect (I need one so bad)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Dude it's a freaking poweredge 2950... what did you expect (I need one so bad)

I'll sell you mine :P

Also, this is ENTIRELY your fault.  You are entirely to blame because Dell has COMPLETE documentation online for their hardware.  You could have researched every aspect of that thing by downloading the appropriate PDFs and known what you were getting into.  Instead you decided to buy a 2U server thinking you could slap some fat ass GPU into it like it was an ATX box. That machine was NEVER designed with adding high end desktop graphics into it and it's customers never had that intention either.

This was my original idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI

that works ok , but not that great. (on paper) 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

nah this Server you got is pretty much great for running VMs, NAS, and server stuffs

i bet you can make 4 vitrual machines out of the server

so you have 4 PCs in one U2 server rack

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Also, this is ENTIRELY your fault.  You are entirely to blame because Dell has COMPLETE documentation online for their hardware.  You could have researched every aspect of that thing by downloading the appropriate PDFs and known what you were getting into.  Instead you decided to buy a 2U server thinking you could slap some fat ass GPU into it like it was an ATX box. That machine was NEVER designed with adding high end desktop graphics into it and it's customers never had that intention either.

Jeez man, chill...

The whole reason I bought this thing was to replace my Media Server/Mini Gaming rig. Of course I would use it for storage and such, but what I liked about the one I sold was that I could also play some older games on it.

Here's what I was planning to do (or something similar):

Jeez man, chill...

The whole reason I bought this thing was to replace my Media Server/Mini Gaming rig. Of course I would use it for storage and such, but what I liked about the one I sold was that I could also play some older games on it.

Here's what I was planning to do (or something similar):

Linus didn't use a compact rack unit in his video, did he? :P

Linus didn't use a compact rack unit in his video, did he? :P

No, no he did not. But the principal is very similar. It's just unfortunate I didn't go too in depth on details of the server.

No no no... That's not what I blame Dell for... I blame Dell for not designing a better upgrade path for this thing.

- You're limited to PCIe 1.1 8x and 4x slots.

- The max capacity for each hot swap tray can hold is 750GB.

- I'm pretty sure this is the highest end CPU combo you can use.

It's a server not some gaming pc.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You should've made a post on the forum asking whether or not this was a good buy,

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10