SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket fails sea landing for the third time.

The rocket is a structure.

And it failed as a structure.

Structure + Failure = Structural Failure.

You can do simple maths, right?

Selectively picking words that relate to something and putting them together does not a fact make.

A rocket is also Explosive. Therefore it's also an Explosive Failure, right? It failed as an explosive.

Structural Failure would be if the metal of the rocket's leg bent and snapped upon landing. In this instance the leg was fine, but a mechanical component failed to prevent the leg from locking.

Now, if the reason that mechanical component failed was because it snapped then you'd have a case for structural failure. But it wasn't. I failed due to ice preventing the mechanism from engaging. Hence, it's a mechanical failure if anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

cant they just make a stable platform instead of a barge?

Platforms cannot be moved. Rocket's take variable paths into space. The idea of the barge is to make it cheaper and hence more viable to go into space regularly, which is the point of everything Tesla is doing.

A $500,000 barge that can be used 1000 times is much more cost effective than a $100,000 platform that can only be used once.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Platforms cannot be moved. Rocket's take variable paths into space. The idea of the barge is to make it cheaper and hence more viable to go into space regularly, which is the point of everything Tesla is doing.

A $500,000 barge that can be used 1000 times is much more cost effective than a $100,000 platform that can only be used once.

Tesla???? We are talking about SpaceX here lol.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Tesla???? We are talking about SpaceX here lol.

Sorry, I hear Musk I think Tesla

That is like saying a building hit by a tornado was a structural failure...

Personally I would consider not taking ice into consideration simply a design flaw, but since this is the first time it has happened like this they likely had no reason to suspect it a being something to watch out for. Now they know.

A structural failure is where the structure or material the craft is made of fails. A structural failure would be if the rocket bent in half when it landed. That didn't happen did it? You sure you're a mechanical engineer? Because you sure dont sound like one. Any real mechanical engineer would know that a latching mechanism not locking is not a structural failure.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

To be fair, Musk said the same thing would probably have happened if it landed on land.

The only problem was a mechanical failure. It did land, it just couldn't stay standing up.

This is a design fail. When their rocket blew up do to one of the internal struts failing that was a structural fail.

Hardly even a design failure, there was an obscure variable they didn't account for.

This is a step in trial and error. I bet they protect the mechanism from ice next time and it's not a problem again.

Wow. Thats incredibly explosive. Thanks!

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

Hardly even a design failure, there was an obscure variable they didn't account for.

This is a step in trial and error. I bet they protect the mechanism from ice next time and it's not a problem again.

Non of those points make it any less of a design failure. They designed it to land and that design failed due to them not accounting for ice build up. Every time something fails it's a learning. opportunity.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Probably implement a de-icing system for the landing legs to account for potential ice buildup there. That's what I believe they'll do, anyway.