WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

Right now I am running an Adata S510 120gb ssd for my boot drive and my main programs, because of the obvious speed and IOPs that you get from an ssd. I also have a 250gb Hitachi hdd that I use as my storage drive, I would have gotten a bigger drive but I had this one lying around and figured that I might as well use it. I also have a Silicon Power 500gb usb 3.0 external portable drive for my steam games and a WD 1tb external usb hdd for my backups.

I'm using a 120GB samsung 840 SSD with a 1TB mechanical drive. This setup allows me to enjoy the performance of an SSD while still having a large storage space for games.

I'm currently running and OCZ Vertex 2 60gb as a boot drive that i bought on first release because damn SSD's are worth it. Also running a WD Black 1TB as my primary GAME storage because of the WD reliability and the speed of the black drives are great for this purpose. I also run 2 Seagate barracuda drives for other mass storage. Planning on purchasing another WD Black really soon. I'd love to be able to afford a bunch of drives to throw in a NAS or home server though , that'd be great. 

Rig: Intel Core i5 3570k , 16GB Corsair Vengeance , Gigabyte G1. Sniper 3 , EVGA GTX780 SLI, Asus Xonar STX , Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1TB WD BLACK , 1TB Seagate Barracuda , 4TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitors: X-STAR 30" 2560x1440 IPS

Peripherals: Logitech G9x Mouse, Corsair K9% RGB, Logitech Z623 Speakers, V-MODA Crossfade LP2's with Boom Pro Mic.

Currently I run just one PC with storage inside. That baby has:

119GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device (SSD) - Windows Boot drive and game installs

466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 - Linux OS
466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 - Photography Backups
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 - Photography storage and other general use
2x WD External 2TB HD's - Film and TV storage
1x WD External 1TB HD - RPG Books & other PDF's and plus program software storage
Over the years I have used many drives and while I have not had many issues my experience with WD's RMA policies mean I have the most confidence with them so I now pretty much exclusivity use them. And yes, I am a WD fanboy :D Its not just for the 'cameras'
uwLBiVC.jpg
In the near future I hope to have a Linux server running an automated sync with this PC (my work horse), my laptop (for working out and about) and the the server itsself and then do a backup as well. I was going to just use WD greens for that but if I win (hardy har like thats going to happen) I'll be using the reds :)

Other links coming soon :)

Facebook share from (Dara Robinson): (www.facebook.com/dara.robinson/posts/10151733372130805)

Twitter share @Ethnod: (twitter.com/Ethnod/status/375069828412735488)

Community Site share with Ethnod - http://forums.techguy.org/random-discussion/1107639-pretty-sweet-western-digital-giveaway.html#post8767256
This one got deleted, mods can be funny on that website ..... (Dara Robinson: (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86365377#post86365377))

Hope I did all that right :)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

In my gaming desktop I bought a WD10EADS 1Tb green drive back in August of 2009. Back then I didn't care about speed, I simply needed a hard drive, and it was a great bang for the buck. I also have a 2Tb external USB 3.0 Fantom drive I use for quick storage since it's faster than my internal drive.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I use a 128GB SSD for fast boot for my OS and for a select few games. I have a 1TB hard drive as well for storage reasons, but I couldn't afford more at the time.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I am running a WD Caviar Blue drive, the 500gb variety. My story behind why I use it is kind of...interesting.

I bought a HP Pavillion desktop for something like 400 dollars about 3-4 years back. It was my first computer that was *my own*. This computer had the worst OEM case imaginable, with a Pegatron branded motherboard and onboard Nvidia graphics. In short, it was amazing for my independence, but it was not the best. By far.

In this computer was this hard drive. It was really nice, smooth, and I never had any trouble. Buttttt...I decided to upgrade. So I bought a AMD 965 BE (Still have it). It was then I learned that my mobo couldn't handle it. So I bought a new motherboard. I had to buy a graphics card along with that new motherboard. The motherboard was ATX, my case was MicroATX (I was technologically inept at that point in time). I bought a new case. That case did not fit on my desk. I had to make a new desk out of two planks of wood, a filing cabinet and two cubes made of wire panels fitted together with plastic fittings. I am still using all of this stuff, except the graphics card (recently upgraded).

Throughout this entire process, that hard drive was a saint. It never failed. I have 400 days of ontime. I've reinstalled Windows 7 4 times. I've moved it from one case to another. I've dropped it during that process (again, technologically inept at that point). But that hard drive...wow. It still performs as well as it did on day 1. I mean it is just a soldier/saint/amazing/awesome thing. I've never had a reason to upgrade (besides the small size which limits my ability to view movies/tv shows).

Twitter shared @ben__Ritchie: https://twitter.com/Ben__Ritchie/status/375074923418365952

I am running a 180GB Vertex 2 for my OS because I like having speedy boot times and load times of applications I have installed locally. I am also running a 1TB green drive for my steam games (and it's filling up fast) since I don't want to re-download games and swap them in/out of my SSD.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AwesomeAshly

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I have a 500 gb drive and a 128gb msata ssd boot drive. It's in a laptop so it would be a hassle to change it. I also have and external 1tb hard drive where I keep all my movies and tv shows because they take up so much space.

Awesome giveaway! :D

I run a 4 120 gb raid 0 with OCZ Agility 3 ssds in my main machine.  Chosen for speed and cost at the time of purchase.  I chose raid 0 for maximum speed and the risk is taken care of by my server.  I also run a home server with 2 older wd 300 gb hdds in raid 1 for the os.  This gives my the redundancy I need to ensure even if one of the drives crash my server is still up.  For storage I have an Adaptec raid card with 4 2tb drives in raid 5.  2 seagate and 2 wd red drives.  Raid 5 gave me the best balance of redundancy, speed, and usable storage %.  I wish I had gone with 3tb or even 4tb drives but at the time I couldn't afford them.  I live with 5 people that have computers, not including my 3, so I use the server for computer backups and to store everyone's data.  Also I produce some racing videos and I need space to store all my raw footage. 4 4TB would be fantastic.  I would donate my 2 tb drives to a 3rd and 4th place.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I run a 1TB WD Black @7200RPM, no SSDs yet because well I just build a expensive PC(little to no money right now), but their performance is great! Only negative(obvious part) is that their price/memory ratio, but if you find them on sale....... B)

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I use the following
1. 64Gb SSD OCZ agility 3 for just OS and a few start up programs(got it for $30) /why? Want to be able to boot into windows fast

2. 1TB hitachi drive main drive I never reformat it just keep using it even after reinstalling windows /why? need mass storage that is in my system for when I go to LAN parties

3. 2TB hitachi NAS keep all my movies/TV shows on there its also an FTP as well so i can use it elsewhere /why? nice to have a place where I can drop files off while not at home and so people in my house can steam my movies collection. 

would love another 2Tb drive so i can turn that NAS into a nightly backup (using raid 1) for the 5PC we have in the house

My storage solution is simply a 1TB WD MyPassport cause I don't have the money for anything else. And it's only got 40GB left.

Looking to get a boot ssd but currently I have one 1tb WD RE drive that backs up to a older external Seagate drive. I'm currently using this setup because I the RE drives are made for my usage - 24/7 365 and have a ridiculous average time to failure. The Seagate drive is just so there is some redundancy if something catastrophic happens.

I have 1 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD as a boot drive, and 1TB HDD for storage. I am using these because i got the SSD as a gift, and the HDD because there is not enough room on the SSD for everything else (Although my HDD is pretty well full)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

I run a Samsung 840 500GB SSD drive as my primary and point all the downloads, documents, and bigger files to pair of WD 1TB drives in RAID 1.  I also store my System Recovery backups on that RAID.  My cost per gig on the SSD was as good as it gets for SSDs, the WD HDDs were cheaper and I think that from a cost perspective my set up is prime considering my storage needs.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I'm currently running a 120gb Sandisk extreme ssd, with a 1TB Seagate barricuda HDD.   I'm using them because that's all I could afford as a full time college student  :D

I am currently using a 128gb OCZ ssd for my boot drive and frequented applications. I also have a 1tb hdd for everything else, I am using this configuration because when looking at the many videos on how to build your PC, many of them use this configuration or a flavor of it.

I'm currently running 1 2tb Seagate Barracuda because I'm a cheapass who didnt bother getting an actual NAS drive :P

I have two 160GB Intel SSD's set up in raid 0 and a sole Western Digital 2TB drive. My operating system, programs, and games reside on my SSDs and my photos, videos, and documents are on my hard drive. Although raid 0 is somewhat risky, the speed and performance gains outweigh the possible losses. I backup my raid ssds on a regular basis. The items stored on the slower hard drive do not require faster access.   

My Twitter (@mikeinbc_) https://twitter.com/mikeinbc_/status/375070205522628609

Amazing giveaway :)

1) I have 3x3TB seagate HDD, a bit old and give me a lot of troubles... specially with RAID config, i tried RAID 5 but had a LOT of speed issues (the RAID worked at 10 or 12 KB/s.. too slow for a RAID config i guess, my internet connection is so much faster lol), so i try RAID 0.... my worst idea ever, one HDD shutdown (never failed before),  and i lost the 9TB (bye bye lots of stuff, photos, music, etc :(  )... i got those HDD because one day i was talking with one friend about RAID, i like to try things, so i wanted to make some RAID array and see how much is gonna be the speed, he had this 3 old disks and borrow me them. i want to try a new and not failed array of RAID, because the speed and response was.... perfect  :P

I've got a single 1.5 TB WD green drive with a sandisk cache ssd. Mostly cuz of the cheapness of the entire system. I'll use It for games mostly with backing up important documents in the cloud.

for my desktop I run a 128GB Crucial M4 for my OS (Win 8), 2x500GB WD laptop HDDs  (from my laptop) for old backups from files I had on my laptop and my steam games. I also have a 90GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD for Mac OS X 10.8.3 (hackintosh).

For my laptop I only have a single 128GB Crucial M4 SSD as I don't need any storage on it.

I also have an external terabyte WD drive for any content I want to store on it that I want to share with my family.

I run this config simply because I had a lot of drives laying around and that's what I had to work with.

In the future I will put both 500GB drives in raid 0 for my steam games and build a small external NAS with some sweeet WD Reds (probably 4 smaller drives for either RAID 10), can't wait :).

Also thank you Linus and WD for this giveaway!

Here is my facebook share: https://www.facebook.com/nir.al3/posts/10152172779492564

Here is my twitter share: https://twitter.com/Sunfireman/status/375072615955578880

Here is my google+ share: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101831453847679248681/posts/MsPefEbAu6d