WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

Samsung 840 250gb

WD 500gb Black

Why? I wanted an SSD so bad, I gave up my smartphone so I can buy it. I was skeptical of going lower than 200gb, so I went with the 250gb (perhaps an 840 pro 120gb would've been better?) I figured 250gb wasn't enough for everything so I bought a WD 500gb Black for storage, though I probably should've gotten a 1tb for only $15 more :(

I have a 120gb Samsung SSD, with a 1Tb WD blue HDD for mass storage, I NEED MORE SPACE

System:

• Sharkoon T9 case
  • i7 - 2600k @ Stock
  • Coolermaster 212 evo
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
  • Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA Classified edition
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • Samsung 840120GB SSD

Steam ID: SILLY-eXyLe

Awesome giveaway!  here's hoping I win one of them!

I originally got a Seagate hybrid drive because it offered the best of both worlds: large amount of storage along with fast load times of ssd.  But, my os didn't load fast enough, so I eventually got a Samsung 840 ssd and extremely happy with it.  BUT, when it comes to game storage AND file storage, 750gb hybrid drive is just not enough.  One of those 4GB drives would alleviate storage problems for sure!

Also, I shared this thread on my @ilovehitmarkers twitter account

Rock On!

.1 Samsung 840 120 gig I got it because it was cheap and one of the best out at the time:) I use it for a boot drive and a few games.

.2 WD 500gig scorpio black It came in my old pc so I just moved it to my new one... I use it for storage of pics,videos and big files/programs.

Twitter @upliftsleet1974 (https://twitter.com/upliftsleet1974/status/375065550080061440)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I rock a Samsung 840 SSD boot drive and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB storage drive. I choose the Samsung because its absolutely the best value for money around, and it came so highly recommended. The barracuda was of course the cheaper alternative as I was trying to save money on some parts to afford better main components. However I don't like having a single HDD as I keep uni assignments and such on there [and Drive and Dropbox, I'm not an idiot. lol] and would prefer a more reliable and safe local option.

Have an SSD and 1tb hdd on my desktop (OS and games) and a home server for general files.

I use this config as I think its the optimal setup, ssd for fast boot, os and applications and the hdd for games. Then store all files I want across all of my devices in the server.

1. Currently Running a 128GB Crucial M4 as my boot drive and a 2GB WD Green for storage The reasoning behind my setup; Fast start up and response, and with needed storage for the files that I don't normally access on a daily basis, in a great little package.

1) I currently have a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB drive for storage along with a HGST 500GB boot drive. I cannot remember why I got the HGST drive but I can remember that the Seagate was on one of Newegg's ShellShocker sale for $109. I use the HGST drive to boot Ubuntu 13.10, eventually going to boot Windows 8.1 from an SSD.

2) Twitter post from @threebuddies https://twitter.com/Threebuddies/status/375065045333319680

I use a Kingston HyperX 3k as my main boot drive an a WD Blue 1TB for storage (movies, games, photos).

I did this because I wanted it fast boot and operation, but didn't want to invest tons of money to get 1/2TB of SSD storage.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I started computer gaming years ago with World of Warcraft, but only when Battlefield 3 release did I really get into modding my computer.  I was introduced to creating content for Youtube and decided to give it a go.  At the time, I only had the built in storage that came with my BestBuy special.  2 TB of internal storage.  I went out and purchased a WD Hard drive to add an additional 2 TB so I could record my gameplay to a separate drive.  I chose Western Digital because it was a name I respected and knew they were known for good products.  Now I am looking into increasing my storage to build a home storage PC on my personal network.  I would love to get WD red drives.  

Im running 2 500GB hard drives in my laptop so my os doesnt get cluttered but i can still have loads of junk :)

I Run a 120gb Intel 330 SSD as a boot, for the speed, small form factor and silence.

This is accompanied with 4tb Collective (1tb + 3tb) of WD Caviar Green drives, chosen for their low power consumption and noise levels!

Facebook share Francis Ian: https://www.facebook.com/francis.ian/posts/10201803688564998

Twitter Share from @farncir: https://twitter.com/farncir/status/375063945486155776

Good Luck to ALL!

I run a 120 Samsung 840 SSD as my boot drive and for storage I have a 2 TB WD Red Drive because of the big enclosure that dampens vibrations. I wanted to have quick boot times, but since I have a large media library I needed another storage drive. Since my desktop is run as quiet as it can be, I narrowed down my drive choices to WD Green and WD Red. I decided to add a WD Red since I knew I would add another drive later in RAID and since I heard the enclosure makes it quieter than the green.

180 GB SSD for my OS and a few games: I wanted high speeds
2 x 3TB barracuda's in raid 0: I need the storage and don't have the money for raid 1 with lots of storage.

Twitter Share
https://twitter.com/str_mape/status/382405668503707648

Other Community share not sure if it counts but still. Here's Battlelog
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/feed/show/2955059897664332884/

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I currently run a western digital blue drive (250GB SATAII), Seagate (250GB SATAII), Maxtor (200GB IDE) and dual SanDisk (60GB SATAIII). Why the older drives? I run out of space and I have to add another drive and just more-or-less add another hard-drive I have laying around. I've had about 7 drives die in the past, 4 of them were Western Digital. I do like WD, but in the past the drives have been insufficient for long-term storage. In my line of work, saving files long term is essential. I run a small business, so I need to keep any and all old files. I'm just about maxed out on storage because of the drives dying, but I'll probably just throw in another drive whenever I find one. Hoping to win a WD Red drive to test how far along WD has come in terms of reliability. Plus, I'd like to get rid of my older, unsafe setup. That being said, I run everything in raid 0 as I do not have enough storage to run a raid setup. I'd like to see the reliability and potential of the WD Red drives.

My storage configuration as of now is a single OCZ Solid 3 60GB with a WD Caviar Black 1.5TB. I use the SSD for my boot drive and the HDD for my mass storage. I use the SSD because I managed to get it for cheap. I used to have an mSATA ssd 60GB that I used to use for caching, but it recently died. I used it to cache HDD (and honestly, I don't see much of a performance gain since the drive is pretty fast by itself). I use my HDD... because its big and fast... I hope no one takes any other meaning out of that statement...

Twitter Post: https://twitter.com/Jcclub_jcat/status/375065382488248320

Facebook Post: https://www.facebook.com/Jcc.Jcat/posts/10202052442368078

i built my pc 1 year ago and I had a budget of 1000 CAD, and hard drives and SSDs were still expensive from the Thailand floods. So, I decided to get the cheapest Western Digital hard drive.

CPU: i5 3570K; Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V; RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB); GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr; Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition; Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue (500GB); PSU: Thermaltake Modular PSU 750 Watts

I have 3 different drives in my desktop at the moment
Samsung 840 SSD 120GB Boot Drive

WD Black HDD 1TB

WD Scorpio HDD 750GB

When I was building my system I spent $4250 and I had to skimp on some parts somehow, and I felt I could deal with most was storage, so I ended up with an initial configuration of Samsung 840 for boot and WD Black for general storage.

After a few months of use my WD 1TB quickly filled up and I really needed more storage. With no spare money to spend on more drives, I disassembled my old laptop to reuse the WD Scorpio in my new system as a dedicated media storage drive.

I have a 256GB Sandisk Extreme SSD for the boot drive and for Photoshop and adobe premiere pro so they open super quick. I also use it for fraps to record my videos for my youtube channel as this reduces the impact on my framerate.
I then have a 500GB second hard drive for the storage. Its nothing special but just about keeps me with space to store stuff.

Really would <3 4/8/16GB of extra space for all those videos...

Biomedical Science undergraduate living in Oxford
-.-
PC specs: http://goo.gl/wiRFSi

i use a 1tb WD black drive and a 60Gb corsair force 3 SSD as a cache drive because it was a fairly inexpensive way to make my system feel more responsive. 

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

1. Raid0 SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB w/ Trim Enabled  = This is my main os/applications/gaming. - Pricing 0.50/GB at the time and had stable firmware 

2. Raid1: 1TB Enterprise Drives from Hitachi which run in Intel Raid 1 = Stores my critical work files, home movies, pictures = Pricing was good for Enterprise drives + 5 yr warranty

Shares here:

Twitter @MarlowXim https://twitter.com/MarlowXIm/status/375064687844405248 

Battlelog MarlowXIm http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/MarlowXIm/ (It's in the feed)

I run two 1TB Segate Barracuda 7200.12s. The reason:

When I put together my first desktop after ending my student days (which I did just for fun... at first), I just used some old part laying around from a long time ago.

Athlon 64 x2, really slow DDR2 RAM, some unnamed PSU and my old Plextor IDE DVD-RW drive, amongst other things.

First I only had a 5400rpm 120GB 2.5" laptop drive, which I had switched out because it was too slow and noisy, but at least it had Windows installed on it. Then I remembered, I had a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo (V1) that I bought on a super-sale. The speeds it delivered and the general user experience was terrible anyways, so why not just take the drives from that one and use them in the computer instead? I could use the space, and they would most certainly be quicker than the 2.5". So that's where I am today, because that's what I had in the house at the time

intel ssd for os and wd hdd for games and entertainment storage in my desktop.Well, thats is what i manage to buy with my monthly allowances.Drives are expensives in Malaysia

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

2X Samsung 840 256GB in RAID0 for speed and size. Hopefully if one ever fails then I can just run the 2nd one while the 1st is RMA'ed (on it's own obv, not in a RAID at that point)

1x 3TB HDD as backup for all important files. This is not in a RAID because I'm specific about what is important to back up and what is not.

1x 3TB HDD for storage