Anybody think AMD will make a CPU comeback that surpasses Intel?

Just hope it does. Decent cpus cost a fortune in Canada. Would rather not have it go up.

Nope,

even if amd passed intel, Intel would probbly pull some shit from behind its ass

pretty much this.

They're way ahead but just don't release anything because it's not to an economic advantage to release their best stuff

I make bad life decisions.

Nope, intel has fab techniques that allow for near theoretical limitations, which are patented, unless amd pulls a rabbit out of a carbon nano tube hat I don't see them getting close to current intel chips, they may do well in the lower end market again but intel has a performance edge.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I hope so, i7 920, a 8 year old CPU is still ok for gaming, its like Intel doesnt want to increase performance anymore.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just hope it does. Decent cpus cost a fortune in Canada. Would rather not have it go up.

they cost the same as in US just in a different dollar. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

everyone said ivy IPC, when did we move to haswell?

Over optimistic I guess. They'll just be in for a disappointment when Zen comes out.

I really hope they do. The CPU market needs some competition. 

exactlly

we share out thoughts :)

AMD separated CPU and GPU teams

let's hope that brings some good things

Compete? Yes.

Surpass? Maybe.

Will Intel screw AMD's ass as soon as AMD flinches? Yes.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Will Intel screw AMD's ass as soon as AMD flinches? Yes.

"Uhm so yeah guys we are moving the consumer i3 to 4 core 8 thread, i5 to 6 core 12 thead and i7 to 8 core 16 thread, hope you are just excited as we are" 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I hope so. The evolution in the cpu sector are minuscule. Like 10% per year.

We need some competition. An 8 year cpu can handle modern games like an actual cpu.

FX 8350 @1.23v. GIGABYTE R9 270 @1050/1400. GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3.

6gb Super Talent DDR31333mhz. Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm HDD. Antec PB550 Plus 550w.

Aiteg 24' 1080p 60hz. Amazonbasics Keyboard. Logitech G600. Sennheiser HD429. Win10 Pro.

An 8 year cpu can handle modern games like an actual cpu.

really can't, cpu bottlenecking in gta 5 and witcher 3 is visible even with average gpu. 

Spoiler

really can't, cpu bottlenecking in gta 5 and witcher 3 is visible even with average gpu. 

i7 920 OC can play GTA V and well

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Surpasses? I doubt that. I expect Haswell performance though. Hopefully they realize what the consumer market wants and not fuck themselves In the ass like Nintendo does...

i7 920 OC can play GTA V and well

sure, but it's a top tier cpu from that era. 

Spoiler

I'm sitting here with a Phenom II N970 from 2011 that gets flogged single threaded by a 2011 i5 540m and has multi threaded performance that is with margin of error. Then you have the FX line up which even after the release of the FX 83** revision was unable to get even close to Sandybridge in single threaded performance and in most multi threaded tasks only pulls slightly ahead of an i5 2500k. And since Zen is predicted to be close to Haswell in performance (and will probably be slower due to AMD's track record), no I personally don't think so-only the most deluded AMD fans will think that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

sure, but it's a top tier cpu from that era. 

Still, 8 years its a really long time, IPC since Sandy Bridge increased just like 30%.

Spoiler

Still, 8 years its a really long time, IPC since Sandy Bridge increased just like 30%.

yes and AMD is below Sandy Bridge at the moment, if anything Intel is just trying not to get sued for monopoly or something.

Spoiler

yes and AMD is below Sandy Bridge at the moment, if anything Intel is just trying not to get sued for monopoly or something.

Look at the cellphone's processor evolution. Like 30-40% performance increase per year. It's because the competition. Samsung, Qualcomm, Intel, mediatek, Nvidia...

Aiteg 24' 1080p 60hz. Amazonbasics Keyboard. Logitech G600. Sennheiser HD429. Win10 Pro.

That's not it.

Look, guys. Off the shelf CPU sales is a tiny part of Intel's overall business. It's a drop in the bucket compared to pre-assembled desktops, mobile, servers, and datacenter chip sales. The reason why Intel stopped chasing higher performance is because for most of those aforementioned markets, it isn't really needed anymore. There's no reason to sink billions to achieve something that few people enjoy. Servers and datacenters crave energy efficiency because the lack of CPU performance can be made up for by more cores. Mobile platforms crave energy efficiency because a CPU that consumes less energy needs less cooling, which means that potentially laptop manufacturers can cut costs cooling setups. It also means that the battery will last longer. Most people's desktops are already powerful enough for their needs and they have no desire to upgrade.

Unless Zen is also far more power efficient than Skylake/Kabylake (fat chance), Intel wont care about how much Zen CPUs are.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

Look at the cellphone's processor evolution. Like 30-40% performance increase per year. It's because the competition. Samsung, Qualcomm, Intel, mediatek, Nvidia...

Exactly, Intel is pretty much completely holding back at this point. The moment AMD edges closer Intel will bitch slap it back in line. Look at the xeons series. 18 core Haswell (with a 22 core broadwell soon) chips at 185W.... (9590 220W). Recently releasing a 5.1 Ghz quad core xeon... I'm glad AMD is still even trying. But like a said a couple post back, Intel won't actually feel anything until maybe Zen's successor's successor. I half expect we have to wait until Zen's successor's successor's successor until we start seeing the crazy performance increase we see in GPU and ARM chips.

That's because many people would like for their phones to be faster. How many people are dissatisfied with their i3 whatever in their laptop or with their 2600k in their gaming computer?

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

That's because many people would like for their phones to be faster. How many people are dissatisfied with their i3 whatever in their laptop or with their 2600k in their gaming computer?

We need a better evolution. I just prefer buy an i3 with the same performance as an actual i5, but with the price of an i3.

With Zen I don't think AMD will be competing with Intel's Haswell-E chips but mainly with their more consumer orientated chips . I'm thinking they would want to grab hold of the market where the i5 currently is dominant.

no, I expect Haswell performance.

But I also suspect that they will have more cores for a similar price point

They already have that...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM