AS7004T NAS running hot?

Hello!

I recently purchased a NAS from a local second-hand store, an Asus AS7004T to be more precise.

It was in excellent condition and was working great for a week or so but now it's started to slowing down a lot (Both filetransfers and the web-portal are super slow).

I noticed that the CPU temperature reported by the web-portal is quite high, ~70℃ (158℉) at idle. System and disk drives temperature are normal (~45℃/113℉ and 35℃/35℉ respectively).

Fan speed is set to high and the fan speed is about 1750RPM at all times.

I took it apart and cleaned the CPU/Heatsink and also applied new thermal paste but no luck! (Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-6)

Oh, the ambient temperature in the room is about 26℃ (78.8℉).

Do anyone have any experience with this model, do they usually run this hot?

Some additional information about the NAS:

Processor: Intel Core CPU @ 3.10Ghz

Memory: 12GB

ADM Version: 4.0.06.RNS1

BIOS Version: 0.27

Installed Drives: 4x Seagate BarraCuda 8TB (ST8000DM004-2CX188, Raid 5 configuration)

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Fan failiure?

...How did I not notice the low fan speed on a supposedly 5200RPM fan?! I'll try to find a replacement fan and see if it works better!
Thanks for the quick help!

59 minutes ago, Zinal001 said:

...How did I not notice the low fan speed on a supposedly 5200RPM fan?! I'll try to find a replacement fan and see if it works better!
Thanks for the quick help!

May also be why it was in a used shop?

Either way these fans tend to be relatively easy to get. The back fan is the only real.cooling fan and if that failed then yeah yikes.

However it seems to just be a generic 120mm fan? Is it a 3 or 4 pin normal fan connector? If so just buy like a arctic p12 fan! Better cooling and lower noise!

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

May also be why it was in a used shop?

Either way these fans tend to be relatively easy to get. The back fan is the only real.cooling fan and if that failed then yeah yikes.

However it seems to just be a generic 120mm fan? Is it a 3 or 4 pin normal fan connector? If so just buy like a arctic p12 fan! Better cooling and lower noise!

It came from an deceased's estate according to the seller.

It's a 4-pin connector (PWM fan) so yeah, it should be pretty easy to get, if required (See below)

I experimented with the config options and the fan can be ramped up to 5200 RPM without a problem (Although it's very noise at that speed!) so I actually don't think that the fan is bad/broken at all.. Apparently the operating system limits it to ~1750RPM for some weird reason. Setting it through the provided command-line tool (fanctrl) only affects the RPM for a few seconds then it gets overridden by the OS...

7 hours ago, Zinal001 said:

It came from an deceased's estate according to the seller.

It's a 4-pin connector (PWM fan) so yeah, it should be pretty easy to get, if required (See below)

I experimented with the config options and the fan can be ramped up to 5200 RPM without a problem (Although it's very noise at that speed!) so I actually don't think that the fan is bad/broken at all.. Apparently the operating system limits it to ~1750RPM for some weird reason. Setting it through the provided command-line tool (fanctrl) only affects the RPM for a few seconds then it gets overridden by the OS...

That is strange.

Durinf usage is the device running under 105c?

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

That is strange.

Durinf usage is the device running under 105c?

Yeah, it basically doesn't move from 70℃, no matter the load.
Note: I only use this NAS as a raw file storage, so no CPU intensive tasks.

1 hour ago, Zinal001 said:

Yeah, it basically doesn't move from 70℃, no matter the load.
Note: I only use this NAS as a raw file storage, so no CPU intensive tasks.

That is quite strange. What clockspeeds?

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

That is quite strange. What clockspeeds?

About what I would expect, at 3100MHz according to /proc/cpuinfo