Windows updates keep failing error 0x800f0922

M25Ops
Go to solution Solved by StDragon,
37 minutes ago, M25Ops said:

What do you think of just keeping updates paused until 24h4 comes out and hoping it works? It's almost ready isn't it?

Windows 11 24H2 is expected to be released to everyone this fall. However that will come as an enablement package for those running on Windows 11 22H2 and newer. An enablement package is basically a windows update that activates a master switch that unlocks dormant features after a simple reboot. Prior to 22H2, Windows 11 got upgraded using the full feature update which was basically an in-place upgrade that could take an hour (give or take).

Being that you're already on 23H2, I have no doubt that a future enablement package to 24H2 would fail for you.

That said, you could wait and perform the ISO upgrade method to 24H2 this fall, or do the same procedure now with 23H2. Either way the same level of effort will be required, so might as well do the 23H2 now to stay current on security updates.

If you're looking to perform a full bare-metal backup of your entire OS drive (and others if you choose), there's Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows which is free to use (example of how-to here). Once installed, you can created a recovery boot ISO (it's a WinPE boot environment with a Veeam recovery GUI console) and/or write to a bootable USB flash drive. In the event of a failure where you have to perform a full recovery, you simply boot from that media and choose a Veeam backup set to restore from. Point to the drive you wish to overwrite and it will perform a full restore of the drive. Alternatively, you can use the classic "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" utility found in the Control Panel. Note: do not confuse that with the newer Windows 11 backup program as that only captures profile data, and does NOT do a BMR type backup. 

I keep trying to install the following two updates: KB5037591 and KB5037771.

I'll update, then reboot, it looks like it's installing, then reboots and says theres an issue and is undoing the update. When I get back into Windows, those two updates failed with error 0x800f0922.
image.png.867eb545083a7dc078517c60afbe5267.png

I've reset Windows update, sfc /scannow, DISM commands. Theres the button that says to reinstall Windows, but what exactly does that do?

EDIT: Was able to install one of the updates:
image.png.fd43297b21bd093d1904d9c4c85504e2.png

So it's KB5037771 thats causing the problem.

1 hour ago, M25Ops said:

I keep trying to install the following two updates: KB5037591 and KB5037771.

I'll update, then reboot, it looks like it's installing, then reboots and says theres an issue and is undoing the update. When I get back into Windows, those two updates failed with error 0x800f0922.
image.png.867eb545083a7dc078517c60afbe5267.png

I've reset Windows update, sfc /scannow, DISM commands. Theres the button that says to reinstall Windows, but what exactly does that do?

EDIT: Was able to install one of the updates:
image.png.fd43297b21bd093d1904d9c4c85504e2.png

So it's KB5037771 thats causing the problem.

No I'm pretty sure the problem is with the infamous KB5037771 that needs RE partition of over 600MB where Windows makes it 500MB, go figure!

Managed to solve it recently with AOMEI Partition Assistant, by reducing another partition to increase the size allocated to the RE one...

Thanks Microsoft for your idiocy, they didn't even bother to fix it since release...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

These instructions are confusing, they say to reduce the size, then go into talking about creating a new one.

I tried downloading a partition manager, it says the thing recovery partition is 738mb, shouldn't that be enough? It also doesn't let me resize it.

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

No I'm pretty sure the problem is with the infamous KB5037771 that needs RE partition of over 600MB where Windows makes it 500MB, go figure!

Managed to solve it recently with AOMEI Partition Assistant, by reducing another partition to increase the size allocated to the RE one...

Thanks Microsoft for your idiocy, they didn't even bother to fix it since release...

Mines over 700. It also won't let me resize my main partition.

44 minutes ago, M25Ops said:

These instructions are confusing, they say to reduce the size, then go into talking about creating a new one.

Don't use 3rd party software. You only need to to follow those instructions.

So normally the WinRE partition is at the end of the volume. That's why you need to shrink the end of the C drive partition, so you can make room to create a newer larger WinRE partition. Order of operation is important.

Now if for some reason the WinRE as before the C drive as indicated under Disk Manager, then you'll run into issues.

Right-click over the start menu and choose Disk Management, or execute diskmgmt.msc from the command prompt to view the disk layout.

21 minutes ago, StDragon said:

So normally the WinRE partition is at the end of the volume. That's why you need to shrink the end of the C drive partition, so you can make room to create a newer larger WinRE partition. Order of operation is important.

Now if for some reason the WinRE as before the C drive as indicated under Disk Manager, then you'll run into issues.

Right-click over the start menu and choose Disk Management, or execute diskmgmt.msc from the command prompt to view the disk layout.

Ok, should I shrink it by only the 250 it says or should I go for more?

10 minutes ago, M25Ops said:

Ok, should I shrink it by only the 250 it says or should I go for more?

250 should be good enough. My WinRE partition was resized to 757 and it installed the update fine after that.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

250 should be good enough. My WinRE partition was resized to 757 and it installed the update fine after that.

Got the size increased to 990MB, but it didn't work, install failed  with the same error.

Try deleting the 'C:\$WinREAgent' folder, then try installing the update again.

6 hours ago, M25Ops said:

Got the size increased to 990MB, but it didn't work, install failed  with the same error.

It worked on my install with 1000

8 hours ago, StDragon said:

In my case I have a D: partition after C: and WinRE stuff on my boot drive, so I needed to use 3rd party software, don't think you can do it in Windows

image.thumb.png.9a0f0efd874cade17e6bf697451c228f.png

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, StDragon said:

Try deleting the 'C:\$WinREAgent' folder, then try installing the update again.

I don't see that. I tried showing hidden files and hidden system files but nothing, I do see other $ folders though. I tried looking with WizTree but also nothing.

7 hours ago, PDifolco said:

It worked on my install with 1000

In my case I have a D: partition after C: and WinRE stuff on my boot drive, so I needed to use 3rd party software, don't think you can do it in Windows

image.thumb.png.9a0f0efd874cade17e6bf697451c228f.png

Didn't work, I increased it to 1.2GB and still same issue.

1 hour ago, M25Ops said:

I don't see that. I tried showing hidden files and hidden system files but nothing, I do see other $ folders though. I tried looking with WizTree but also nothing.

It's possible it doesn't exist in your case.

1 minute ago, M25Ops said:

That's plenty of space. That's no longer the issue or would contribute as such.

Are you sure Windows RE status is good? (note: your partition number may be different) 

C:\Windows\System32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status:         Enabled
    Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE
   ~~

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

1 hour ago, M25Ops said:

Ok then the issues is not the PE partition size with this update, no idea what it is then...

3 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

My Windows 11 Update is broken, but 3rd party update tools work fine.

One is - https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/

other - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumgr.html

Both work just fine.

It's not that windows update is broken. Just that when I reboot to install the update, it fails and has to roll back.

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

It's possible it doesn't exist in your case.

That's plenty of space. That's no longer the issue or would contribute as such.

Are you sure Windows RE status is good? (note: your partition number may be different) 

C:\Windows\System32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status:         Enabled
    Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE
   ~~

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Yes, I ran that command before and after resizing, looked fine.

I'm wondering if I should do what ot tells me and to reinstall Windows. It says my programs and settings won't be effected but that's iffy.

• dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

If it finds an issue it can repair, then run the next command 

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

2 hours ago, StDragon said:
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

If it finds an issue it can repair, then run the next command 

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Ran those originally, and sfc /scannow.
Ran them again just in case but nothing.

Is there no way to find out exactly why it failed? I tried Get-WindowsUpdateLog, and it gives me a really big file, I find the error code, but it does't really tell me WHY it failed for this reason.

11 minutes ago, M25Ops said:

Is there no way to find out exactly why it failed? I tried Get-WindowsUpdateLog, and it gives me a really big file, I find the error code, but it does't really tell me WHY it failed for this reason.

To really dive into the logs, you'll want to open this one up in Notepad++. The CBS.log is far more useful for troubleshooting update failures.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

To really dive into the logs, you'll want to open this one up in Notepad++. The CBS.log is far more useful for troubleshooting update failures.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I have the logs specifically for the failed update isolated. Is there anything I can look for specifically?

This is the only thing I found that seems to have triggered it:

2024-05-25 21:57:45, Info                  CSI    00001aeb Begin executing advanced installer phase 31 index 0 (sequence 0)
    Old component: [l:0]''
    New component: [l:0]''
    Install mode: delta
    Smart installer: true
    Installer ID: {1b265fd2-721c-4e59-ad55-9d102a5d1d7f}
    Installer name: 'SppInstaller'
2024-05-25 21:57:45, Error                 CSI    00001aec (F) SPP Installer: SLpUpdateComponentTokens completed with hr=0xc004f011[gle=0x80004005]
2024-05-25 21:57:45, Error                 CSI    00001aed (F) SPP Installer: ProcessInstallOrUninstall (SppInst) completed with hr=0xc004f011[gle=0x80004005]
2024-05-25 21:57:45, Info                  CSI    00001aee@2024/5/26:01:57:45.969 CSI Advanced installer perf trace:
CSIPERF:AIDONE;{1b265fd2-721c-4e59-ad55-9d102a5d1d7f};(null);570319us
2024-05-25 21:57:45, Info                  CSI    00001aef End executing advanced installer (sequence 0)
    Completion status: c004f011 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_ITF,Code=61457 (0xf011)] 

2024-05-25 21:57:45, Error      [0x01803c] CSI    00001af0 (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: SppInstaller ({1b265fd2-721c-4e59-ad55-9d102a5d1d7f}) with HRESULT c004f011 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_ITF,Code=61457 (0xf011)].  Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

I did look some thigns up, about making sure different system folders has proper permission, no issues found. I am using a paid for version of Win 10 (upgraded to 11) Pro. God that feels weird just saying that. But not able to find much else.

Try these command from an elevated prompt . Once finished, try installing the update again.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

55 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Try these command from an elevated prompt . Once finished, try installing the update again.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Unfortunately I've tried that as well. Tried it again and no effect.

I've also tried downloading the offline installer from the Windows catalog.

The installer before Windows boots gets to 98% then fails.

So what you can do at last is repair the OS with an in-place reinstallation. Nothing should be lost or reset. Normally this process is for upgrading Windows, but this should work as well

Download the latest Windows 11 23H2 ISO from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
The file will be called Win11_23H2_English_x64v2.iso

Open the ISO and copy all content from it into a new folder on your C drive. For example "C:\Win11_Install"

Run setup from "C:\Win11_install" and it will "upgrade" over your existing installation of Windows. It will basically fix the broken OS so that updates will install again.