[Rumor] Intel to announce 5.1GHz Broadwell based Xeon processor

AlTech

Cereal_Guy_escupiendo.png

Do you guys realize this means that a xeon will probably be better in games than an i7?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This will be great for those few people who need tons of single threaded performance I guess.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Cereal_Guy_escupiendo.png

Do you guys realize this means that a xeon will probably be better in games than an i7?

There comes a point where clock speed won't give you any extra performance, so it's a small maybe.

There comes a point where clock speed won't give you any extra performance, so it's a small maybe.

If they are releasing a cpu with that as its stock frequency you can bet they're still in the realm of getting better performance.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This got me thinking what is the current highest stock clock on a CPU.

5.0 turbo, it's the 9590

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Would be great for a virtualization server.  As long as it's super stable.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

WTF is this? Who needs a 5.1GHz CPU?

My company does right now. I'm working to find solutions to a temporary software scaling problem (software is going away) that would be completely unnecessary if such a CPU were to exist.

I could imagine that cloud providers (AWS and the like) might look at a 5 GHz CPU and spec out a subspecies of instances that customers could buy -- focused more on clockspeed than core count. They almost certainly wouldn't convert all their servers to use something like this CPU, the thermal requirements at the datacenter would be enormous.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The cost for this will be insanely high, probably more than the 8 core 5960x Xeon competitor.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The chip's supposed purpose:

Surprisingly, some sites which have stated this rumored Xeon chip are alleging that this specific processor has been designed for the US National Security Agency, to power their server requirements hence there will be a limited availability of this chip if there’s any to begin with to the general public through OEMs.

It's apparently for the NSA. Also, If Intel actually pulls this off, it'll be proof that they're holding back the consumer chips due to lack of competition.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Damn, what a high tdp. Will it ship with a closed loop cooler?

post-155826-0-78559000-1452904643.png

Yes, I'm that guy.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

It's apparently for the NSA. Also, If Intel actually pulls this off, it'll be proof that they're holding back the consumer chips due to lack of competition.

I assume only like 1% of the produced chips can reach this frequency. If you binn the produced chips that hard, you can not sell a lot of them. So you make it exclusive for people that can spend a LOT of money for it like the NSA.

The normal folk gets the rest 99% of the production.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

The chip's supposed purpose:

It's not proof of jack. It's a very high bin of existing dies. It has nothing to do with withholding performance from consumers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Rofl - the things people come up with

What about OC'ing? If someone managed to get an OC on it, would 5.8GHz be a stable speed, then maybe 7.0GHz as a push!?? I am curious.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Single thread performance is much more important to me than a ridiculous number of cores.

Same for me and what I would use it for.

But from a server point of view and VM hosting, I don't think it would be as good.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

yeay ! intel fx 9590 !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

What about OC'ing? If someone managed to get an OC on it, would 5.8GHz be a stable speed, then maybe 7.0GHz as a push!?? I am curious.

i doubt it . If this cpu comes out , it will probably already be pushed to the very limit. Also you cant OC xeons.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i doubt it . If this cpu comes out , it will probably already be pushed to the very limit.

Yeah that is what I thought.

Also you cant OC xeons.

Hence why I put "managed"

i doubt it . If this cpu comes out , it will probably already be pushed to the very limit. Also you cant OC xeons.

You can, just not very much.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That would make for a great modeling CPU, as most modeling programs are very heavily single threaded.  

Companies like the one I work for do all of our modeling on our local machine but offload the analysis to a dedicated compute server.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro