Whore of the Orient title under fire for being racially insensitive

snowComet

The Sydney Morning Herald reported, Brendan McNamara and Australian production company Kennedy Miller Mitchell, creator of L.A. Noire, recently came under fire from a prominent member of the Australian-Chinese community, as he think the title is an ''attempt to disgrace Chinese culture, history and traditions''.

What's worse, says 28-year-old Jieh-Yung Lo, it is using government money to do so.

The O-word is very similar to the N-word for African-American communities.

''The most shocking revelation is that [game developer] Team Bondi received $200,000 from Screen New South Wales to develop the project,'' said Mr Lo, who has vowed to take his complaint to the Human Rights Commission on grounds of racial vilification.

''Australian institutions should be encouraged to fund projects and initiatives that cultivate  mutual understanding and prosperity in the Australia-China relationship. We need to build greater trust and cultural understanding rather than promote division and negativity.''

*This topic could quickly got out of hand. I hope everyone could keep calm during discussion, and try not to attack, or abuse others becoz of their own beliefs...

As a Chinese person, I didn't even know "Orient" is a racist term. 

I feel no offence to the title of the game because of this. I'd be fine with them releasing it, in fact, I'd probably play it, looks like a good game.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

As a Chinese person, I didn't even know "Orient" is a racist term. 

I feel no offence to the title of the game because of this. I'd be fine with them releasing it, in fact, I'd probably play it, looks like a good game.

I am a Chinese, and I have never realized that "Orient" is a racist term either. I have been to various countries (for work or travel), and I had never encounter anyone use this word as an insult to Chinese.

The definition of Orient:

The countries of Asia, esp. eastern Asia

Jieh-Yung Lo needs to grow the *beep* up and learn to use a dictionary. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Yeah I'm a racist and I have never used the term oriental to offend an Asian.                        (kidding about the racist part :))

Australians are so sensitive when it comes to gaming, I feel for the gamers out there. :(

I believe what he means is that when peoples play this game,they will associate the word whore with orient thus bring bad publicity to chinese culture.

I believe what he means is that when peoples play this game,they will associate the word whore with orient thus bring bad publicity to chinese culture.

Nah, I don't think so.

"The O-word is very similar to the N-word for African-American communities"

Obviously he is talking about Orient being as offensive as Nigger, even though what you said makes sense, what he says is different.

Nah, I don't think so.

Obviously he is talking about Orient being as offensive as Nigger, even though what you said makes sense, what he says is different

He is wrong then. For me orient is another term for chinese,so i think the word is not racist at all.

+1, but I'm Japanese.

yay~ Japanese brofist! :D

私は大阪で育った

but in all seriousness, the Asian people were never really enslaved by Europeans, so there's kindof a lack of context towards them

How are we going to get rid of racism?

"Stop talking about it" - Morgan Freeman

I think these people could take a leaf out of Mr Freeman's book here, being too politically correct in itself can be a form of racism. I can't pretend to understand if the term Oriental is offensive or not, but complaining about it is probably doing more damage than the actual title of the game.

Did that article really use the term "O-word" for Orients?

*Facepalm*

But, to be honest, there could have been many better titles for a game about Chinese history.

Not because the name is offensive, but "Whore of the Orient" just sounds so cheesy and seems to be trying too hard.

Imagery should be subtle yet powerful, but using the word Whore just seems like they are trying to shove it in your face like "THIS IS A GRITTY GAME FOLKS!"

I would find it more racist if they used the word origami. That's how ridiculous I find this.

I've always used orient and orientation in terms of direction... but who know's maybe I'm a racist, this article seems to think so ;)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Yeah I'm a racist and I have never used the term oriental to offend an Asian.                        (kidding about the racist part :))

Australians are so sensitive when it comes to gaming, I feel for the gamers out there. :(

It isn't Australians, it is just our government.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

It isn't Australians, it is just our government.

Yeah that's what I meant (wasn't being a nationalist :lol:), the government seems to be very quick to react to a small amount of complaints in the media industry.

I don't think it's fair on the rest of the Australians.

People need to just calm down.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think people need to chill the hell out man, I mean the title means nothing. Look at "Call of Juarez" one of the most racist games around and the title means nothing really

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So it is as bad to call an Asian person a "Orient", as it is to call a person with black skin "Nigger"?

An ''attempt to disgrace Chinese culture, history and traditions" ? 

Looks like we now got HUMAN RIGHT TROLLS!

LARGEST_AWESOME_FACE_EVER!!!.png

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I think "Orient" kinda refers to mainland Chinese. I'm a Malaysian Chinese and I don't like being mixed up as mainland Chinese but I really don't find that offensive. 
It's only offensive when people use it with the intention to insult. 

I'm sure a whore berry is also equally as offensive but that doesn't get a name change.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

never heard of the game till now... maybe that was the plan.  :rolleyes:

My Rigs (past and present)

"Orient" is a racist term?????

what the hell

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.