Why is apple doing this?

asim1999

the 6S and 6S Plus are great phones, dont get me wrong. This is not a rant on the usual stupid stuff that people usually cry about, it is actually about the GPU used in the A9 chip. 

Why do the phones use the same chip if the 6S Plus has a higher resolution? This results in MUCH worse performance in graphics benchmarks. Take last years 6 Plus for example, it scored around 30-40% lower in benchmarks and performed worse in gaming even though it was the newer phone than the iPhone 5S

Example.

GFXBench Manhattan 3.1:

6S: 52FPS

6S Plus: 27FPS

GFXBench Manhattan 3.0

6S: 57FPS

6S Plus: 38FPS.

Apple is lying when they say the phones perform the same. It may not become apparent right now, but the 'lesser' 6S will outperform the 6S Plus and last longer for gaming and graphics-intensive productivity. People say benchmarks arent everything, but they are a fairly good indication of how relevant the phone will be in years to come (of course if the chip isnt nerfed in successive software updates). 

At least Apple should overclock the GPU in the A9  chip to at least give some balance

Your thoughts?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

if you overclock it it will use even more power genius

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Because they are Apple

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if you overclock it it will use even more power genius

The 6S plus has a much bigger battery tho

Nearly 60% bigger infact 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

so? it already dies faster during more extensive tasks, just like you said

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but does it have enough cooling to handle an overclocked chip?

lol

ITS A PHONE

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My answer: They did the same thing with the 6 and 6+.

They're Apple, their customers DO NOT CARE what is inside the phone. They just care how good their selfies look and how quickly Instagram loads.

I used to be quite active here.

but does it have enough cooling to handle an overclocked chip?

lol

ITS A PHONE

Of course lol. Its not like the A9 is a fire-breathing power hungry dragon like the SD810.

It makes sense, the 6S Plus has a much bigger battery and a larger surface area to dissipate heat  so it can handle an overclockedGPU. 

I am not saying overclock the whole damn processor, just the GPU for the 6S Plus version. 

the 6S and 6S Plus are great phones, dont get me wrong. This is not a rant on the usual stupid stuff that people usually cry about, it is actually about the GPU used in the A9 chip. 

Why do the phones use the same chip if the 6S Plus has a higher resolution? This results in MUCH worse performance in graphics benchmarks. Take last years 6 Plus for example, it scored around 30-40% lower in benchmarks and performed worse in gaming even though it was the newer phone than the iPhone 5S

Example.

GFXBench Manhattan 3.1:

6S: 52FPS

6S Plus: 27FPS

GFXBench Manhattan 3.0

6S: 57FPS

6S Plus: 38FPS.

Apple is lying when they say the phones perform the same. It may not become apparent right now, but the 'lesser' 6S will outperform the 6S Plus and last longer for gaming and graphics-intensive productivity. People say benchmarks arent everything, but they are a fairly good indication of how relevant the phone will be in years to come (of course if the chip isnt nerfed in successive software updates). 

At least Apple should overclock the GPU in the A9  chip to at least give some balance

Your thoughts?

just saying, normal people don't run crysis on their phones..

The salt in this thread is real. Apple is dumb for shipping the same GPU as their lower resolution phones in their higher resolution counterparts, at leased from a technical standpoint; financially it makes more sense.

Because Apple's market is my grandmother, mother, and white girls that only care that Facebook runs and they can take shitty selfies. Most of their customers don't know what a CPU is, or what a benchmark is, so why would they bother changing the chip? They only upped the resolution because it's one of the things people read to make them think it's a better system. It's like the reason prebuilt companies put 16GB of RAM and a R5 230 in a "gaming" build. Because none of them are marketing to a tech forum, they're marketing to ignorant people with more money than sense.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Because Apple's market is my grandmother, mother, and white girls that only care that Facebook runs and they can take shitty selfies. Most of their customers don't know what a CPU is, or what a benchmark is, so why would they bother changing the chip? They only upped the resolution because it's one of the things people read to make them think it's a better system. It's like the reason prebuilt companies put 16GB of RAM and a R5 230 in a "gaming" build. 

Fair point. I understand that Apple is for tech illiterates.

It just doesnt  make sense from a technical perspective by Apple lying that they will perform exactly the same 

Fair point. I understand that Apple is for tech illiterates.

It just doesnt  make sense from a technical perspective by Apple lying that they will perform exactly the same 

You're 100% right. But it makes sense because nobody except nerds on a tech forum will actually look into it.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Because Apple's market is my grandmother, mother, and white girls that only care that Facebook runs and they can take shitty selfies. Most of their customers don't know what a CPU is, or what a benchmark is, so why would they bother changing the chip? They only upped the resolution because it's one of the things people read to make them think it's a better system. It's like the reason prebuilt companies put 16GB of RAM and a R5 230 in a "gaming" build. Because none of them are marketing to a tech forum, they're marketing to ignorant people with more money than sense.

Amen.

Christ, another one...

Please stop fucking generalizing. It's pointless and it makes you look like the ignorant one. There's plenty of self-proclaimed tech nerds that prefer iphones over any android because of single threaded performance alone. My 5s beats the crap out of my current daily driver (note 5) in single threaded tasks. Iphones are considered to be a major status symbol so yes, you're obviously going to pay more. Both iOS and android have their pros/cons.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Christ, another one...

Please stop fucking generalizing. It's pointless and it makes you look like the ignorant one. There's plenty of self-proclaimed tech nerds that prefer iphones over any android because of single threaded performance alone. My 5s beats the crap out of my current daily driver (note 5) in single threaded tasks. Iphones are considered to be a major status symbol so yes, you're obviously going to pay more. Both iOS and android have their pros/cons.

True, the single core score on my OnePlus 2 is only on par with the multi-core score of the iPhone 5

Anybody who would give a damn would buy the 6s anyway, which is why I bought the 6s ( simply cause I hate the pointless spec war that are android phones) . But do you really think apple cares about performance outside of advertising? they put a 4790k in an imac which refuses to cool it until it's near thermal limit because they want silence over cooling, Apple is the tech company everyone wants to be, because they can get away with stupid shit and people will treat it like it came from jesus in most cases.We all know that one guy with *insert apple product here* that says its way better than what you have. 

My answer: They did the same thing with the 6 and 6+.

They're Apple, their customers DO NOT CARE what is inside the phone. They just care how good their selfies look and how quickly Instagram loads.

This. At the end of the day its a phone. I don't want to root, rom, overclock or do anything like that to my portable device. If I want to fuck around and tinker with something I'll work on my desktop.