Games that lived up to the hype?

bydus

I was wondering what games have accually lived up to the hype around them in your opinion. Personally i think witcher 3 has done it, i've been playing it for over 60hours and its incredible. 

Really, not a whole lot. Usually the internet hypes up games so much they can only disappoint.

I am tempted to say Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, but even those games were not amazing and the hype was not that much. GTA V and like.. All the CoDs didn't live up to the hype too. Maybe CoD: Black Ops 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Really, not a whole lot. Usually the internet hypes up games so much they can only disappoint.

I am tempted to say Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, but even those games were not amazing and the hype was not that much. GTA V and like.. All the CoDs didn't live up to the hype too. Maybe CoD: Black Ops 

To be fair, with the Pokemon games there's only so much you can do with remakes.

I liked Black Ops 2.

I'm not sure what the hype status was for Witcher 3, so I dunno. For me Skyrim did live up to the hype.

I am a big fan of Bethesda games but I don't feel Fallout 4 lived up to the hype. I also don't think GTA V lived up to the hype... well, how much hype was there when it was finally coming out to PC? I guess the game sold well. After I played it, I pretty much forgot about it and never thought about it again.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I was wondering what games have accually lived up to the hype around them in your opinion. Personally i think witcher 3 has done it, i've been playing it for over 60hours and its incredible. 

i have like 100h on witcher 3 and still enjoy everything

the complete witcher "trilogy" lived up to the hype

pokemon red / blue

skyrim with all the mods you could imagine

hands down... PORTAL 1 & 2 ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Another I can think off that lived up to the hype is Mario Kart Wii or Skyrim. Super Smash Bros. Brawl.. Not so much. Wasn't around when Melee released

To be fair, with the Pokemon games there's only so much you can do with remakes.

I understand, but for example many other Pokemon games have not been living up to the hype. Maybe HeartGold/SoulSilver has.. But Black/White and on have been kinda disappointing

I liked Black Ops 2.

Same, but it didn't live up to the hype IMO. Still good..

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Another I can think off that lived up to the hype is Mario Kart Wii or Skyrim. Super Smash Bros. Brawl.. Not so much. Wasn't around when Melee released

I understand, but for example many other Pokemon games have not been living up to the hype. Maybe HeartGold/SoulSilver has.. But Black/White and on have been kinda disappointing

Same, but it didn't live up to the hype IMO. Still good..

I liked Pokemon Black and Platinum... Explores of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon are pretty good.

I liked Pokemon Black and Platinum... Explores of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon are pretty good.

I liked them, I just don't think they lived up to the hype. Platinum maybe in my opinion.. And the first couple Mystery Dungeon lived up to the hype, because there was not much for them anyways :P

I liked them, I just don't think they lived up to the hype. Platinum maybe in my opinion.. And the first couple Mystery Dungeon lived up to the hype, because there was not much for them anyways :P

Eh, never really cared about the hype to be honest, If I was satisfied after playing it, I thought it was a good game.

Witcher 3
Heroes of Might & Magic V + expansions
Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3
Path of Exile lives up to Diablo 3's hype better than D3 itself
Legend of Grimrock 2
Skyrim
Half Life 2 + Episodes + Minerva Metastasis
XCOM: EU+EW
Shogun 2

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Witcher 3

Tomb Raider

GTA V

from recent memories

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

GTA V, Witcher 3, Bioshock Infinite

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I agree with Witcher 3. Also GTA V, which was even better than hyped for.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Tomb Raider

Witcher 3

Star Wars The Old Republic - I was not expecting the story side of things being as good as it was for a MMORPG.

Path of Exile - Best in it's genre since the lockstep system and totally free to play.

World of Warcraft

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASUS Z87-Pro | Memory: 16gigs HyperX FuryX | Cooling: Xigmatek SD1483 Frostbourne 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 | PSU: EVGA 750W Gold+ modular | Storage: 128g adata SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Monitor: ASUS PA238QR

Witcher 3 was a little bit of a let-down due to aggressive marketing and that downgrade. Note that I still consider it to be one of my favourite games to date, but the trailers - and hype - were a little misleading, and the impressions on launch day were that of a buggy mess. Post day-one patch and now at a stable version 1.11 is another deal.