Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Orings for life!

WASD has the best quality ones material wise which is why they are more expensive.

I agree brown is my least favorite switch from a design perspective and red is my least in practice. I also actually like blacks. I really dont get the "gamers" fetish for light non tactile switches. All it does is make you bottom out like a boss.

Orings for life!

WASD has the best quality ones material wise which is why they are more expensive.

I agree brown is my least favorite switch from a design perspective and red is my least in practice. I also actually like blacks. I really dont get the "gamers" fetish for light non tactile switches. All it does is make you bottom out like a boss.

I like my blues more then my browns but I would take them over a non tactile switch. I guess people go for browns mainly because they are the slightly less loud tactile switch otherwise people would be all over the blues I would say a bit more. I haven't had much time with blacks but from what I remember feeling them at a frys electronics is that they felt like a heavier red and I wasn't to good with that. 

Also, I agree with the WASD o-rings they make my Logitech O-rings look cheap they are build very solid but you have to admit they come at a premium. 

Ping Pong? I guess the biggest move from a brown to a blue is that you feel the switch as you go down. I don't feel the switch going down with browns I do feel a slight bump but over time I've kind of gotten used to it and it's hard to feel. You can always purchase a key switch sampler. I know that max keyboard has a really nice one you can get it on amazon. It's not very expensive in my opinion. If you are curious how blacks feel they feel like Red's but you have to put more force into it. Red's feel like browns without the tactile bump which would be the loss of tactile and the linear feel that reds/blacks get.

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399316356&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+sampler

And if you listened to my ducky keyboard with blues for comparative sake here is my 710+ with browns. The sound may be higher then yours because of my typing style you never know.

https-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKIKJ5U-hE0&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the long quote - I'm on a phone. By ping I mean extra noise generated from the keyboard chassis as it were. And I've used blacks on a CM Storm Trigger (I think it was) and refs on a K60 as that's all Maplin stock round here. I managed to touch a blue but that's it. I feel that blacks would be quite nice to have as a heavier switch and I can get a black tkl for around £40-50 which is fairly cheap considering. And you were bang on about buying browns. It's exactly why I want them - I've felt both linear and clicky (briefly) so it falls in the not so obnoxiously loud category.

Sorry for the long quote - I'm on a phone. By ping I mean extra noise generated from the keyboard chassis as it were. And I've used blacks on a CM Storm Trigger (I think it was) and refs on a K60 as that's all Maplin stock round here. I managed to touch a blue but that's it. I feel that blacks would be quite nice to have as a heavier switch and I can get a black tkl for around £40-50 which is fairly cheap considering. And you were bang on about buying browns. It's exactly why I want them - I've felt both linear and clicky (briefly) so it falls in the not so obnoxiously loud category.

No worries :) The Blue's have that sound the extra noise that you talk about. Really honestly though because of the blue o-rings in my keyboard you aren't hearing what they would sound like to bottom out. That is just enough for the switch to actuate. I like my browns most of the time but from a pure typing experience once you go blue you never got back :) And the background fans those are my Noctua NF-F12's on top of my h100i in my Fractal R4 my Blue yeti is just stupid sensitive. 

Ahh, it's just from other videos I've only heard the 'click' and not the extra noise. Maybe it's a mic thing. Thanks anyway, I know what I'm after and I'll have to try blues or greens some day just for the feel! :P

yyeeyy just got my first mechanical keyboard! It's a CM storm quickfire TK with brown switches! So far im really happy with my purchase and it's a huge difference from someone who used membrane all his life ( what a sad life)...

I have the same keyboard great isn't it? I would say though that the O-Ring's on the G710+ still give the cap a little more squish to it when you press it down. I use the WASD blue's. They are a little pricey but they do feel a bit different and from what I've been told come from a stronger material. The ones that come with the G710+ are quite thin nice though. I like the squish that the Ducky Premier you have and I have gives. The Blue Dampeners that I have are interesting to when you press down the key you get a push back about half way down you would have to push very hard to bottom out. Just a difference in O-rings beautiful keyboard :) Wish I could replace my 710+ with it only problem is I use the Gamer keys on my 710+ for stuff :x Do you feel like the o-rings help out at all the thin black ones the 710+ comes with?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html#ad-image-0

Also, since I found this out recently something cool about the keyboard macro key wise. FN+Delete is mute FN+End is volume down FN+Page Down is Volume up :)  Also, gotta love the macro keys above the 10 key very unique never seen anything like it.

I did a typing test with the blue o-rings curious if you notice any difference from what you would normally see with your own typing. I type reasonably fast hopefully I don't get trolled too much. Recorded with a blue yeti, also with nvidia shadowplay with there recent desktop recording feature. 

Here is a recording I just put together so we can compare. I also recorded with nVidia Shadowplay and a Blue Yeti microphone. I botched the typing a few times in the video, hopefully I don't get heckled too much. 

This keyboard, again, is a Ducky 9008P Premier Mechanical Keyboard with Blue Cherry MX switches and Logitech G710+ O-Rings. And other than the sound of the actual blue switch actuation, there is very little sound.

I have some WASD red o-rings on order, and if y'all are interested, I'll make another video once I have them installed. 

I have left the calarahil's video in the response in case y'all want a side by side comparison.

-snip-

No worries. I actually took quite a few different attempts at making a video myself. You don't type nearly as hard as I do (I'm a heavy handed typer, however the blue O-rings normally stop me from bottoming out). I'm interested what the red o-rings are as they are half the size. Whether by video or just your impression I'm curious :)

I have a Steelseries Apex (not mechanical  :( ) but I was thinking about getting either one of these: 

NZXT LE Ducky Shine III B/R

Corsair K70

Steelseries 6GV2 Red Edition

And plus I know it says red MX aren't the best for typing but do you guys think it's fine to type with? Or is does the brown make you love typing...like a college essay?

I type for homework and game btw

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

I have a Steelseries Apex (not mechanical  :( ) but I was thinking about getting either one of these: 

NZXT LE Ducky Shine III B/R

Corsair K70

Steelseries 6GV2 Red Edition

And plus I know it says red MX aren't the best for typing but do you guys think it's fine to type with? Or is does the brown make you love typing...like a college essay?

I type for homework and game btw

NZXT and Ducky have a Series together O.o! I do like the white theme although to be fair I'd want black frame white caps. 

NZXT and Ducky have a Series together O.o! I do like the white theme although to be fair I'd want black frame white caps. 

Yeah I just saw this while looking at the NZXT H440 than Google linked some sort of NZXT article on TPU than this lol, do you think it's worth the $150? These are "limited editions" and looking at the pictures, it looks like they're making either 150 of these in total or 150 of each color (total of 300)

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

Yeah I just saw this while looking at the NZXT H440 than Google linked some sort of NZXT article on TPU than this lol, do you think it's worth the $150? These are "limited editions" and looking at the pictures, it looks like they're making either 150 of these in total or 150 of each color (total of 300)

Do I believe they are worth the 150 dollar asking price maybe maybe not. You can purchase the ducky shine 3 for about that price on mechanicalkeyboards.com. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=514 

So I think its difficult to say they are unique keyboard and probably carry the same level of quality as the normal shine 3 models. I think the prices should be lower if these are keyboards that are being manufactured not just in Taiwan.  

So... I think I've caught the bug. I just ordered a Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL w/ Brown Cherry MX switches. I've never owned a tenkeyless keyboard before, so this will be a test...

I'm starting to look around to see if I can find a Poker II w/ brown switches, and/or a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 so I can try them out. Anyone have any tips on where I can find them? I'm having more trouble finding a Poker II in general. 

So... I think I've caught the bug. I just ordered a Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL w/ Brown Cherry MX switches. I've never owned a tenkeyless keyboard before, so this will be a test...

I'm starting to look around to see if I can find a Poker II w/ brown switches, and/or a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 so I can try them out. Anyone have any tips on where I can find them? I'm having more trouble finding a Poker II in general. 

Depending where you are, amazon should sell them.

If not, qtan sells them on his site/ebay. I've also seen people buying from banggood.

If you google qtan, you should see a fair amount of people vouching for him on geekhack/mechkeyboard subreddit/deskthority.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Depending where you are, amazon should sell them.

If not, qtan sells them on his site/ebay. I've also seen people buying from banggood.

If you google qtan, you should see a fair amount of people vouching for him on geekhack/mechkeyboard subreddit/deskthority.

Yep.  Qtan and banggood are the only places I know to get a Poker2 at the moment.

Awesome. Hopefully one of you can help me. I have a g15 v1, but its slowly dying on me. So I want a new keyboard. Needs to be Cherry MX browns. Any recommendations? Also budget is whatever.

Logitech g710+ thats the one I have and its pretty good!

So I just took the Ducky blue/grey PBT keycaps and put them on my Ducky 9087 YotD keyboard. Cherry MX browns with PBT keycaps feel nice, but the lights do not really display through the keycaps. These PBT keycaps are pretty thick :o There is, however, a glowing effect under the keycaps, which is alright, ain't too bad.

IMG 7769

IMG 7768

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Logitech g710+ thats the one I have and its pretty good!

Seconded. The G710+ is a great board from what I've seen - comparable to a K70 with browns I'd say. Either of those if you want your board to look a little 'gamer' though the G710+ has macro keys and orings preinstalled. The K70 on the other hand is aluminium and has a scroller wheel for volume.

If you want something a little more minimal in look I'm sure almost this whole thread would suggest a Ducky.

Damnit, I think I might have gotten a lemon. Another LED on my new keyboard is dead, this time the "A" key, just a few weeks after getting it back from  3 week long RMA

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

Damnit, I think I might have gotten a lemon. Another LED on my new keyboard is dead, this time the "A" key, just a few weeks after getting it back from  3 week long RMA

What keyboard?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Question to all of you with white key caps, do they get dirty over time or are they pretty good at staying white?  I was thinking about ordering a wasd keyboard with red and white caps.

Question to all of you with white key caps, do they get dirty over time or are they pretty good at staying white?  I was thinking about ordering a wasd keyboard with red and white caps.

they get a bit dirty but easy to clean

they get a bit dirty but easy to clean

Cool. thanks for the info.  Plan on getting white only on modifier & function keys.

Seconded. The G710+ is a great board from what I've seen - comparable to a K70 with browns I'd say. Either of those if you want your board to look a little 'gamer' though the G710+ has macro keys and orings preinstalled. The K70 on the other hand is aluminium and has a scroller wheel for volume.

If you want something a little more minimal in look I'm sure almost this whole thread would suggest a Ducky.

The G710 also has a scroll wheel for volume. between the k70 and the logitech i would certainly choose the Logitech because the keycaps on the K70 feel like very very cheap plastic.

The G710 also has a scroll wheel for volume. between the k70 and the logitech i would certainly choose the Logitech because the keycaps on the K70 feel like very very cheap plastic.

I didn't know about the scroll wheel o-o if the keys in the k70 are anything like the k95 then I'm fine with that because they felt good to me. Then again I'm not coming from a goods keyboard or good keycaps