Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

LOL, Model Ms don't die. They linger in the background eternally for spare parts. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

What would be the best no frills & gimmicks mx blue keyboard i could get? (Has to be as affordable as possible with good build quality)

Edited by Strando123

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 hour ago, Strando123 said:

What would be the best no frills & gimmicks mx blue keyboard i could get? (Has to be as affordable as possible with good build quality)

If you're trying to get a low price by looking for no frills...

You might actually do better with frills... Logitech G710 Street priced at about $80 USD, but keep an eye out for deals I got mine for $50

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

If you're trying to get a low price by looking for no frills...

You might actually do better with frills... Logitech G710 Street priced at about $80 USD, but keep an eye out for deals I got mine for $50

That is WEIRD! (Usually the ALL FRILLS & GIMMICK "gaming" keyboards are 2x the cost)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Did this a while ago but I now have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with some blank PBT Keycaps I love it and hope I have it for a long time. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

The question is, mod mx brown k70 rgb with clear black keycaps and o-rings or buy a new keyboard?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

3 hours ago, jasonvp said:

I got tired of the crappy PS/2-to-USB adapters that were available at the time, and I also needed a Windows (or Mac "Command") key.  Fortunately Unicomp makes an exact replica of the M (from the original plans), but includes more keys and native USB.

As far as the adapters go I read that you have to use an Active PS/2 to USB converter. I am going to be putting an arduino in the KB to control the lighting but it adds the possibility to add in a windows key. I got the keyboards from my school because they thought they were worthless, and I have one of them at my computer I use at the school. It also has dual monitors and a GTX 630 2GB of RAM because I like having a bit more performance than everyone else lol.

23 minutes ago, JVarholTech said:

I am going to be putting an arduino in the KB to control the lighting but it adds the possibility to add in a windows key

Sounds like a fun little project.

FWIW, this is the keyboard I use on my Windows rig (and one just like it on my Mac).  As previously stated, Unicomp has all of the IP and other rights for the M and the keyboards they make are 100% M.  Right down to the hefty mass.

Obviously, buckling springs =/= mechanicals, so I'm a bit off-topic here.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

@jasonvp They are nice but theres something about the key design that is unappealing to me, it could just be the picture it self. But otherwise they seem pretty nice, except for the fact that mine were free haha.

6 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Sounds like a fun little project.

FWIW, this is the keyboard I use on my Windows rig (and one just like it on my Mac).  As previously stated, Unicomp has all of the IP and other rights for the M and the keyboards they make are 100% M.  Right down to the hefty mass.

Obviously, buckling springs =/= mechanicals, so I'm a bit off-topic here.

I kind of want a kishsaver and there is going to be a small run of them being made but god damn that price is to high for me to justify buying it lol

http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

That is WEIRD! (Usually the ALL FRILLS & GIMMICK "gaming" keyboards are 2x the cost)

As of when I checked just now it's $78 free shipping. If you're in the US. 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-High-Speed-920-006519/dp/B00QI2WPJ8

I can't find any way to beat that price without going with a Cherry MX clone.

Now if you're in Australia... I'd say get a Tesoro Durandal, theres some retailers on AU ebay selling them for $60~80 AUD, which is around $45~55 USD and can be a freakin better deal than I got my G710.

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

The question is, mod mx brown k70 rgb with clear black keycaps and o-rings or buy a new keyboard?

Why would you go for a whole new keyboard? I'm not understanding how one goes from getting custom caps to a whole new keyboard...

4 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Why would you go for a whole new keyboard? I'm not understanding how one goes from getting custom caps to a whole new keyboard...

I assume that comes from thinking about whether it is worth it to invest half the price of a keyboard into his current keyboard or to get a new keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Charger said:

I assume that comes from thinking about whether it is worth it to invest half the price of a keyboard into his current keyboard or to get a new keyboard.

I haven't got enough room for extra keyboards to not be used, so that sounds like a big downgrade to get a new one even if modding the K70 is half the cost of a new cheap keyboard. Plus my wife would kill me :P

6 minutes ago, Charger said:

Its actually because im not shure if i should get a new keyboardist for traveling or if i should just travel with my k70.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

6 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Its actually because im not shure if i should get a new keyboardist for traveling or if i should just travel with my k70.

well than maybe you should look into getting a 60% keyboard 

5 hours ago, Charger said:

I kind of want a kishsaver and there is going to be a small run of them being made but god damn that price is to high for me to justify buying it lol

http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

Yeah, thoes are pretty cool, but pricy. I have a Model M though, thats nice. I just counted, I have a lot of mech keyboards. IBM Model M, Apple Adjustable Keyboard, Compaq MX 11800, and my 2 Data911 keyboards (though one is being desoldered now)

But my Apple Adjustable and IBM are mostly for display, as the apple is brokenish, and the IBM is just huge.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Yeah, thoes are pretty cool, but pricy. I have a Model M though, thats nice. I just counted, I have a lot of mech keyboards. IBM Model M, Apple Adjustable Keyboard, Compaq MX 11800, and my 2 Data911 keyboards (though one is being desoldered now)

But my Apple Adjustable and IBM are mostly for display, as the apple is brokenish, and the IBM is just huge.

did you get the plates cut?

Just now, Charger said:

did you get the plates cut?

I didnt get them done that day, as we ran into a few problems, but they should be making them now, so probably by this weekend they will be done.

I have to finish desoldering these stupid LEDs anyway...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

I didnt get them done that day, as we ran into a few problems, but they should be making them now, so probably by this weekend they will be done.

I have to finish desoldering these stupid LEDs anyway...

the fast way would be to grab the led with something like tweezers and then just heat both pins with the soldering iron and pull it out. I desoldered my data911 with just a soldering iron lol

Just now, Charger said:

the fast way would be to grab the led with something like tweezers and then just heat both pins with the soldering iron and pull it out. I desoldered my data911 with just a soldering iron lol

Yeah, i guess i could do that for the LEDs.

But you remeber the carnage from when i tried to do that to my Apple Adjustable Keyboard

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Yeah, i guess i could do that for the LEDs.

But you remeber the carnage from when i tried to do that to my Apple Adjustable Keyboard

which is why I didn't tell you to do what I did and told you to buy stuff to help you desolder. 

Just now, Charger said:

which is why I didn't tell you to do what I did and told you to buy stuff to help you desolder. 

yeah...

But the leds dont matter, so ill just do that to them.

Also, i thought the teensy was micro usb, but no :( mini usb...

Just now, spwath said:

yeah...

But the leds dont matter, so ill just do that to them.

Also, i thought the teensy was micro usb, but no :( mini usb...

ya its mini usb like basically all keyboards. 

2 minutes ago, Charger said:

ya its mini usb like basically all keyboards. 

oh, i guess they do use that. None of mine do, but the only ones with removable cables use ADB or the phone type jack thing, so i guess I can compare.

Either way, for fun i might just get an adapter to make it usb C for doublesidedness