Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
9 hours ago, Charger said:

I just try to get people to make keyboard build threads over here although there is such a small group of people really interested in it around here it is a little pointless.

Ill be making a thread wherever my plates are finished.

But I'm going away next week. Hopefully after that they Will be done...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Can we just bust the myth about mx blue not being good for gaming, they are great for gaming, it just comes down to what you like the most.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Can we just bust the myth about mx blue not being good for gaming, they are great for gaming, it just comes down to what you like the most.

The myth is far more marketing then myth.

1 minute ago, Charger said:

Yeah and it is stupid, since they market the MX brown as a  "gaming" switch and the only difference is that the MX brown are more silent

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Yeah and it is stupid, since they market the MX brown as a  "gaming" switch and the only difference is that the MX brown are more silent

Theoretically it makes it better for gaming when using voice chat.

I don't understand why anyone would think that. The only difference between mechanical keys are slight activation weights and if they give tactile feedback when activated.

You could argue that tactile feedback makes typing more accurate but blues are tactile and honestly if you push the key down it will register the keypress so feedback isn't really needed.

As for differences in activation weights try timing how long it takes to press down a blue vs a brown or something. If anything a blue would be .00001 seconds faster because it is lighter. Maybe over prolonged typing having lighter keys would be a more noticeable performance increase with things like fatigue factored in but I have gamed for extended periods on browns and never felt strained or slower from the incredible muscles my fingers were flexing.

Overall the entire mechanical switch debate literally comes down to personal preference with any possible performance benefits for a specific switch being so minuscule they could never possibly make a difference.

Just now, Charger said:

Theoretically it makes it better for gaming when using voice chat.

But most mics doesn't pick the keyboard up and you can even do so the mice will block out the keyboard with software.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

I don't understand why anyone would think that. The only difference between mechanical keys are slight activation weights and if they give tactile feedback when activated.

You could argue that tactile feedback makes typing more accurate but blues are tactile and honestly if you push the key down it will register the keypress so feedback isn't really needed.

As for differences in activation weights try timing how long it takes to press down a blue vs a brown or something. If anything a blue would be .00001 seconds faster because it is lighter. Maybe over prolonged typing having lighter keys would be a more noticeable performance increase with things like fatigue factored in but I have gamed for extended periods on browns and never felt strained or slower from the incredible muscles my fingers were flexing.

Overall the entire mechanical switch debate literally comes down to personal preference with any possible performance benefits for a specific switch being so minuscule they could never possibly make a difference.

When you get the feedback you don't need to press them further down.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

But most mics doesn't pick the keyboard up and you can even do so the mice will block out the keyboard with software.

My mic picks up my typing perfectly, even when I use my browns. It's just from how heavy I type. If I didn't bottom out so much, no one would be able to hear them.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Just now, SeriouslyMikey said:

My mic picks up my typing perfectly, even when I use my browns. It's just from how heavy I type. If I didn't bottom out so much, no one would be able to hear them.

Well with software you can remove up to 95% of the keyboard sound off because it is depending on the mic you have.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well with software you can remove up to 95% of the keyboard sound off because it is depending on the mic you have.

Blue Snowball. I don't bother changing anything as I use push to talk. 

Push to talk master race.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Mine does.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

That's bullshit. I doubt anyone naturally types at half presses, and trying to do it on purpose would take more focus and slow your typing and divert your concentration from the game. Not to mention bottoming out vs not bottoming out saves under a fraction of a second so I can't picture it ever adding up to any realistic performance gain. Also as stated blues are tactile.

2 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Same.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Nope. Not going to run software and eat up my cpu/ram while I game. Also not going to install a program and run it 24/7 just so I can use a keyboard without an angry mob stabbing me in the face. At best I would put o-rings on it.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Mine does.

That's bullshit. I doubt anyone naturally types at half presses, and trying to do it on purpose would take more focus and slow your typing and divert your concentration from the game. Not to mention bottoming out vs not bottoming out saves under a fraction of a second so I can't picture it ever adding up to any realistic performance gain. Also as stated blues are tactile.

Same.

Nope. Not going to run software and eat up my cpu/ram while I game. Also not going to install a program and run it 24/7 just so I can use a keyboard without an angry mob stabbing me in the face. At best I would put o-rings on it.

Well some people type on blues and browns where they half presses I have seen alot of office workers do that.

I had a program that removed my keyboard and background noise and it only used like 200mb of ram and i did not see my cpu be used more because of it.

You dont really need a high end cpu in 90% of all ganes so what would it matter if it was used 1% more. The programs you should get are the ones that only start when you ask them to start.

I know blue are tactile I love blue and I hate red...

5 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I feel like that maybe a result of most of us learning to type on membrane keyboards where you have to bottom out the key presses. Im kind of half and half with the blue keyboard I have right now it really depends on what key it is and how fast im trying to type lol

I am not trying to sell you guys on using programs I just dont want you to think that those programs fuck up your cpu and ram.

edit:

some probably do.

Well some people type on blues and browns where they half presses I have seen alot of office workers do that.

I had a program that removed my keyboard and background noise and it only used like 200mb of ram and i did not see my cpu be used more because of it.

You dont really need a high end cpu in 90% of all ganes so what would it matter if it was used 1% more. The programs you should get are the ones that only start when you ask them to start.

I know blue are tactile I love blue and I hate red...

Once again, that is their preference, which is an option tactile switches provide. But in terms of real world performance gains? Never going to make a difference.
I don't run excess programs for stuff that should be built in. It is the same reason I don't run Razer Synapse and hate Razer products. I'm sure other people probably feel the same and obnoxious typing volume is a factor worth considering.

1 minute ago, Charger said:

I feel like that maybe a result of most of us learning to type on membrane keyboards where you have to bottom out the key presses. Im kind of half and half with the blue keyboard I have right now it really depends on what key it is and how fast im trying to type lol

I was the same way with writing in pencil/ink. Always way too much pressure. I suspect different people just use different pressures based on body type and possibly personality or mood. The membrane keyboard effect could be a thing though but personally I can't picture myself ever bothering to make the effort to type lightly.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Once again, that is their preference, which is an option tactile switches provide. But in terms of real world performance gains? Never going to make a difference.
I don't run excess programs for stuff that should be built in. It is the same reason I don't run Razer Synapse and hate Razer products. I'm sure other people probably feel the same and obnoxious typing volume is a factor worth considering.

I was the same way with writing in pencil/ink. Always way too much pressure. I suspect different people just use different pressures based on body type and possibly personality or mood. The membrane keyboard effect could be a thing though but personally I can't picture myself ever bothering to make the effort to type lightly.

Yeah different people type different, if all people where the same it would be kinda sad.

Just get some O rings and that's the end of bottoming out. If you still get a loud bottoming out sound with rings then you'd be one of the few ppl that those ridiculous keyboard flex tests would be functionally applicable to.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

LOL, I just now had one of my switches change from Cherry MX Blue to Brown. It just no loner wants to click, but there's still a tactile bump. Man... I've heard of clones not consistently clicking, but these were legit Cherry MX... hope no more switches loose their click. Actually sometimes it still clicks, but audibly less clicky than the keys next to it. The keyboard is only almost 3 months old from Newegg...

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 minute ago, dtaflorida said:

LOL, I just now had one of my switches change from Cherry MX Blue to Brown. It just no loner wants to click, but there's still a tactile bump. Man... I've heard of clones not consistently clicking, but these were legit Cherry MX... hope no more switches loose their click. Actually sometimes it still clicks, but audibly less clicky than the keys next to it. The keyboard is only almost 3 months old from Newegg...

Have you tried removing the keycap, checking for anything in the pathway, and cleaning the keycap + stem?

32 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

slider is jammed. It happens on cherry just like on clones. You may be able to clean it and get it to work again but the best way to do that would probably be to remove it and take it apart which is more work them most want to do and you could probably rma it for that anyways.

Yeah I had that happen to me also on a ducky and I just RMA it without any problem.

Shout out to the people that know what this board is. I have nixdorf blacks on the way to put in this bad boy.[emoji4]

24834393356_2554eb1493_z.jpg

Out of my price range is what it is.

I just try to get people to make keyboard build threads over here although there is such a small group of people really interested in it around here it is a little pointless.

I may not do build logs on here any more since they switched. I'm so used to BBCode and this doesn't even have any sort of come view.

Yeah I can understand that, I could most likely do a little copy paste from my build log over at geekhack over to here so share the build log. I want to build it so bad but still waiting on parts. [emoji20]

You may have trouble doing that since the forum update. Before you could have just nabbed the code and pasted it over.

Thought I did that on Twitter earlier this week?

Yeah and I don't even know why that started. Originally for years it was blacks. Reds were only popular due to rarity.

Same can happen with blacks due to the increasing resistance.

This is why I love the heavier and more tactile switches. They teach you in a hurry to only press the switch down as par as needed.

There are plenty of silence mods you can do to keyboards to quiet them down. Mine have most if kit all of them. The loudest thing is the switch returning up.

As for some people typing heavier... That is what heavier switches are for. The original Cherry MX switch is black. All of the original gaming boards used those as well. Cherry MX Clears are staples in POS boards.

2 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

This is why I love the heavier and more tactile switches. They teach you in a hurry to only press the switch down as par as needed.

There are plenty of silence mods you can do to keyboards to quiet them down. Mine have most if kit all of them. The loudest thing is the switch returning up.

As for some people typing heavier... That is what heavier switches are for. The original Cherry MX switch is black. All of the original gaming boards used those as well. Cherry MX Clears are staples in POS boards.

Lol I can bottom out green and clear switches without a problem. I guess I need super blacks or something.