Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

What kind did you end up ordering?

Soldapult challenger

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Logitech G710+ with Cherry MX Brown Switches, no mods.

Really loving it so far, feels a lot better than my old BlackWidow Chroma (with the Razer Green Switches)

Good choice! The Razer Green are definitely not the best.

Soldapult challenger

Nice nice I think I recommended one of those. It's great for one handed use.

Nice nice I think I recommended one of those. It's great for one handed use.

Yeah, seems to work quite well. Takes a while to desolder this board, especially with the LEDs as well.

My resistors and ISO spacebars arived today. Now im just waiting on my Teensys, making the plates tomorow, and my keycaps from massdrop wont arive for a few months

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm happy to join the club :)

I got the Redragon Vara: http://redragonusa.com/product/vara/

I've wanted a mechanical keyboard for a while, but the absurd price has always been a strong deterrent. This is probably one of the cheapest options available - found it on sale for $47, which is a reasonable amount for my taste. Obviously, as I have no previous experience, I cannot compare it to other mechs, but I'm thoroughly satisfied. I like its minimalistic look and absolutely love the clickety-clack. The red lighting is not intrusive and allows for perfect readability at night. I'm not a big fan of the font of the letters, but it's not a big deal. My only big complaint at the start was the small Enter key, however I'm adapting to it pretty quickly. Overall, it's a great upgrade from my 6-year-old Logitech. I can only hope it'll last for as long as the old one did.

Yeah, seems to work quite well. Takes a while to desolder this board, especially with the LEDs as well.

My resistors and ISO spacebars arived today. Now im just waiting on my Teensys, making the plates tomorow, and my keycaps from massdrop wont arive for a few months

diodes?

also @TheProfosist cheats with desoldering... well really he just invested in far better equipment then I have lol

diodes?

also @TheProfosist cheats with desoldering... well really he just invested in far better equipment then I have lol

yeah, thats what I meant.

Always get them mixed up.

Also, once i get the PCB off, how do i remove switches from plate?

Am I the only one who absolutely hate wrist rests on keyboards? I usually have a 3-6cm gap between my wrist and my desk and when I had a CM MECH, absolutely loved it but the wrist rest meant I had to return it as I hate resting my wrists on them...now just sitting with my good old razer blackwidow 2013 (with cherry blues ovb) which I got during a 50% sale like 2 years ago...probably has something to do with how I've learn't to play the piano and now my wrists just automatically compensates for the height difference as I have really long arms while my upper body is soooo short...god dammit, I have longer legs than my friends who are taller than me as I have a stubby neck and a short upper body...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

assuming the are cherry mx switches the have 2 little clips that hold onto the plate one in front and one in back of the switch you can use a small screw driver to release them from the plate of just say fuck it and probably just pop them out pushing on them lol

make sure they are not stuck to the pcb before trying to take them out. Any easy way to see is to try to wiggle the pins on the switch to see if they are still stuck to the pcb.

assuming the are cherry mx switches the have 2 little clips that hold onto the plate one in front and one in back of the switch you can use a small screw driver to release them from the plate of just say fuck it and probably just pop them out pushing on them lol

make sure they are not stuck to the pcb before trying to take them out. Any easy way to see is to try to wiggle the pins on the switch to see if they are still stuck to the pcb.

Yeah, cherry, its that TG3 board from the police computer, same you had.

Ok, seems to work, got two off.

This will take a while...

And I still need to finish de soldering.

Good choice! The Razer Green are definitely not the best.

Yeah :(

I had never used a mechanical keyboard before, and until I tried the MX Browns on the G710+, I thought they (the Razer Greens) were the best things to be invented. Now I can't go back :P

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

Planning on picking up a keyboard with Black switches up soon. I couldn't stay away from linear switches, just too intrigued with how they may feel.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Planning on picking up a keyboard with Black switches up soon. I couldn't stay away from linear switches, just too intrigued with how they may feel.

i quite like blacks, they are going to be on the keyboard im making, and are on they keyboard im typing on now

Interesting, the keyboard im disecting uses omron switches for the mouse clicks

Interesting, the keyboard im disecting uses omron switches for the mouse clicks

yep omron are the default mouse switches for most decent mice.

yep omron are the default mouse switches for most decent mice.

Though not really a mouse, a trackpad.

BUt i guess this keyboard was built to last, with the cherry switches, waterproof layer, aluminum plates, ect...

Am I the only one who absolutely hate wrist rests on keyboards? I usually have a 3-6cm gap between my wrist and my desk and when I had a CM MECH, absolutely loved it but the wrist rest meant I had to return it as I hate resting my wrists on them...now just sitting with my good old razer blackwidow 2013 (with cherry blues ovb) which I got during a 50% sale like 2 years ago...probably has something to do with how I've learn't to play the piano and now my wrists just automatically compensates for the height difference as I have really long arms while my upper body is soooo short...god dammit, I have longer legs than my friends who are taller than me as I have a stubby neck and a short upper body...

i prefer no wristrest as well, but i can't say its piano posture because I rest my elbow's on arm rests.

Recently got my first mech KB. Really happy about this purchase. However my only worry is the LEDs burning out.

From what I see here its quite easy to replace, but color matching is gonna be problem.

Ducky One MX Browns

Excuse my potato photography skills (or lack thereof) and my $5 peasant pad.

NKUgvuA.jpg

YJ5baD1.jpg

kKydnUD.jpg

Processor:Core i5 2500; GPU: Sapphire 6950 2GB; RAM:8GB G.SKILL RipjawZ 1600 Mhz; Case:NZXT Source 210.

Can't wait to make my plates tomorrow. It will be cool to watch/help. I'll take pics.

Then I'll be able to start assembly.

It will be ugly, for 2 months i have to use a mish mash of black and beige Keycaps until mine arrive from massdrop

Can't wait to make my plates tomorrow. It will be cool to watch/help. I'll take pics.

Then I'll be able to start assembly.

It will be ugly, for 2 months i have to use a mish mash of black and beige Keycaps until mine arrive from massdrop

I have keycaps for an alps build but still no switches and my 40% has need keycaps for months and is still using random keycaps from a monoprice board and some spares I had. It even has the wrong size space bar but I still bought alps caps instead since meh it works lol

Just make sure you empty and declog it regularly.

diodes?

Hey now you've gotten better equipment as well, at least when it comes to desoldering. The Corsair board was the first one desoldered with the pump actually.

A small flat head screwdriver to pop the clips. I prefer 5/64th's perfect when taking apart switches.

Based on previous polls on GH people are either feet up or wristlet feet down.

Just ordered the switches for my keyboard :D. As soon as they arrive I should be ready to build my new keyboard.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB