Gmail password security

robeng

Hi. I have a pretty long gmail password. In my password i havea part of my gmail username. For example if my gmail is something@gmail.com then my password is somethingwhateverafter. Is it safe to have it like that or should i switch it out to something else?

Thanks in advance

Hi. I have a pretty long gmail password. In my password i havea part of my gmail username. For example if my gmail is something@gmail.com then my password is somethingwhateverafter. Is it safe to have it like that or should i switch it out to something else?

Thanks in advance

thanks for a clue to your password.....gonna go delete all your email now

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

PASSW-table1.jpg

youre fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would change it. None of my passwords have part of username. Or my name, email, phone etc. on them. Closest I got is my bank usernumber as pw for few sites.

I also would recommend using password manager like LastPass and 2-way auth.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As long as that is only a small part of your password (less than 30% of characters or so) then you should be fine.

If you have an Android or iOS device, you can also setup 2-factor authentication using Google Authenticator for an extra layer of security.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Humans are really good at remembering short sentences and yet they are notoriously difficult for computers to generate and guess especially if a small transformation has been done to make it much more difficult like the addition of a $ or other punctionation. Conversely humans are kind of awful and remembering random letters and numbers, even short term password length is beyond the human mind without some reference to something they know.

In todays world you want to be aiming for 12 characters or more, so you can get there with randomised passwords and lastpass and a lot of people do that. The other option is to start to use a sentence that is memorable and specific to each site. Even then lastpass can help remember it but I still think there are just too many passwords to have a unique one on each site and to remember them without effectively having 1 password that you just insert the companies name into. Someone is going to decode it or grab a free text copy of your password, take a guess at how you use it elsewhere and get access to everything you log into. It might be the only reasonable way for a human being to meet the unique password for each site recommendation and at the same time remember them all reliably.

Two step verification all day man, not the login process, set your password to "twostepverification"

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

For my email I use a long unique password as well as two-step as everything else is connected to it and If any of my other accs are "hacked" I will still have my email and can regain access to the acc. So most of my other accs just use the same few passwords or random ones and I just let chrome put them in for me as I don't have anything important on them. Accs related to money are also unique.

So i would take out the bit of username make a new one that is a sentence and only use that password on your email.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I use a phrase from a song as it is easy to remember

Two step verification is a good idea as well