Why do police get paid so little?

Oberon.Smite

Hey guys. I was actually kind of considering becoming a police officer because I like the job and its roll in society. I was just curious as to see how much police get paid, and I found out they get paid 49k average. That's already very little, and that means when you start you're probably going to earn even less than that. Why is it that police persons, people who go out and risk their lives to help others, get paid so little? I know that isn't the whole point of wanting to be a cop, but still. I know the whole argument 'because you don't have to be smart or talented to be a police officer', but then why not up the standards? 

so that those in power can still use their goons for their dirty work...

Same reason the military gets paid very little. We don't value the people who actually protect and serve, especially the ones who make the budgets in the higher ups while they play ping pong in their mansions, sipping on expensive ass wine.

Before someone makes the comment "Police don't protect you!" like they're some kind of sovereign citizen or something, shut up. No one cares.

1st they don't need a coledge degree, and also that's an average.

Being a policeman or solider means serving the country and people = civil servants

if you are taking about yearly pay of 49K, you might be looking at the lowest rank which is Police Constable

if you are higher ranking officer the pay will surely go north

but it also differs from country to country

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the reason why is because they work for the government no one that works for the lower branches of the government gets paid a lot but (at least this was the case with the military) you get good benefits 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

They get paid using Taxpayer dollars. Of course they'll be paid little. It's like asking why a janitor gets paid so little.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My family is from the line of Police officers

My mum and dad are from the police force

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Basically what you're saying is college degree > risking your life every day.

Just saying but the smartest people don't really become cops...

System: Thinkpad T460

Hey guys. I was actually kind of considering becoming a police officer because I like the job and its roll in society. I was just curious as to see how much police get paid, and I found out they get paid 49k average. That's already very little, and that means when you start you're probably going to earn even less than that. Why is it that police persons, people who go out and risk their lives to help others, get paid so little? I know that isn't the whole point of wanting to be a cop, but still. I know the whole argument 'because you don't have to be smart or talented to be a police officer', but then why not up the standards? 

Regarding the smart/talented comment: postdocs (post doctoral scholars all the way to research associates, people with PhDs) get paid anywhere between 30-50K/year. These guys have 25 total years of education (from pre-K to PhD, so the "not smart", "not worked hard enough", or the "no college degree" arguments don't work). I find that generally, for the jobs people enjoy doing, those jobs generally pay much less.

well it becoming a trend here in Singapore

those with good degree becomes Superintendent or higher

all talk & planning but little action

Why aren't teachers paid more?

That's just how it works.

because of people not valuing education and our future. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The "smartest/educated" people don't necessarily get paid more. I'll paste what I said above:

Regarding the smart/talented comment: postdocs (post doctoral scholars all the way to research associates, people with PhDs) get paid anywhere between 30-50K/year. These guys have 25 total years of education (from pre-K to PhD, so the "not smart", "not worked hard enough", or the "no college degree" arguments don't work). I find that generally, for the jobs people enjoy doing, those jobs generally pay much less.

Because being a police officer really isn't that hard or dangerous, neither does it require much skill. Being cop isn't even in the top ten of most dangerous jobs and firefighters have a higher death rate than them

Why aren't teachers paid more?

That's just how it works.

Again, not really an answer. Just telling me to accept shit doesn't contribute anything.

I don't think pulling someone over is risking your life, unless its on the freeway, and obviously people with a degree have a higher potential to earn more money. If you go into criminal investigation you will end up earning more money as a police officer... So yes coledge degree>>>>>>>>high school diploma.... Yes obviously if you go to coledge for the type of job you want you'll earn more money....

No, that's basically what that amounts to. There are people with college degrees who go into the police force and make more than the average, and I happen to know someone who did just that. He's making 80k+ a year, but that's mainly because he's already been a cop before and the degree he has sweetens the pot.

Not true. You're implying that dumb people don't go into STEM fields, which is also untrue.

The "smartest/educated" people don't necessarily get paid more. I'll paste what I said above:

I don't know where you get your statistics but...

Generally speaking, a degree leads to higher pay.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=77

Don't have a college degree but graduated high school and want a career path? Law enforcement seems to be a good option.

Not true. You're implying that dumb people don't go into STEM fields, which is also untrue.

Not what I was implying at all. It's all about basic barriers of entry. Law enforcement doesn't have nearly as much prerequisites as some of the other career fields.