Nvidia graphics cards suffer shortages and see increased pricing

zMeul

Then why does this forum exist?

Enthusiasts, not the mainstream. Just as less than 10% of college-educated students worldwide will ever take a physics class, only a tiny minority of computer and component buyers do much research beyond brand recognition.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Then why does this forum exist?

this forum exists for people who actually care

for example, my sister has a masters degree in robotics but, if she were to build her own computer ... oh boy  :lol:

this forum exists for people who actually care

for example, my sister has a masters degree in robotics but, if she were to build her own computer ... oh boy  :lol:

And of course you will recommend her an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU :lol:

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

And of course you will recommend her an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU :lol:

no I did not!

she has  Pentium4 and a Radeon 9100LE in her system, system that was originally mine

no I did not!

she has  Pentium4 and a Radeon 9100LE in her system, system that was originally mine

You had an AMD?? Holy shit, I'm shocked lol

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Read his previous posts, specifically the one about the 14 years of Radeon.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

really!? just posts above I said I had Radeons for 14years  :lol:

really!? just posts above I said I had Radeons for 14years  :lol:

Though TBH most of that was in the Ati days-before AMD shafted everything.

PMSL

Though TBH most of that was in the Ati days-before AMD shafted everything.

AMD trashed every gram of trust I had left in the Radeon brand

How so?  Everyone else makes them for them now.  They just make the blue prints now.  xD  They don't even make the reference or OEMs.  I forgot which company, I think XFX could be wrong, makes the OEM and first reference models, but then everyone else builds off that. 

I think its actually Sapphire that makes the reference cards....

PMSL

I think its actually Sapphire that makes the reference cards....

the first reference models are in-house AMD as these are engineering samples/review samples. Sapphire does the "bulk" ones that make it to consumers.

Still not GTX 980 worthless.......

Lol gtx 980 worthless, bunch of bs

While a lot of people see this as a potential opportunity for AMD, I see this as a pro for Nvidia. Not a pro for consumers of course, unless you want to go red team that is.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You guys keep mentioning AMD but Galax and most Chinese manufacturers do not use AMD chips, they signed an exclusive deal with Nvidia and the Chinese would most likely want to buy products from their own country than import it.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

You guys keep mentioning AMD but Galax and most Chinese manufacturers do not use AMD chips, they signed an exclusive deal with Nvidia and the Chinese would most likely want to buy products from their own country than import it.

Powercolor is a big Chinese company that manufactures AMD cards :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Even if it was, Nvidia is hiking prices by 15%. That means you'd be getting a weaker GPU for the same price that could be spent on a superior GPU in power. If a 390x and a 950 were the same price, for example. Why would you get the 950? And, performance? Not exactly, because AMD always makes some stupid dual GPU to beat all of Nvidia's single GPUs.

True, but more people are coming here now because of youtube.

That's more than "nobody".

The 295x2 loses to the Titan X when both are overclocked, so I don't give a damn. Further, that's still susceptible to late XFire profiles.

Are we allowed to be practical in a non-academic setting and use the relatively well-understood meaning of "nobody" which is nearly always "almost nobody?"

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

how exactly is that since the demand is for nVidia cards ?!

sure, if nVidia can't deliver enough cards to satisfy the market, then and only then, AMD will bank on this

Mostly because everyone is brainwashed into buying an Nvidia card. I like both but AMD has some great products, as does Nvidia.

The 295x2 was not the answer to the Titan X/980ti. It was to go against the 780ti and Titan Z? I don't follow the titan line too closely, but I think that was the one. They're making another dual gpu atm to respond to the titan x and 980ti. I don't remember if they said it's like 2 furys or 2 390xs. Also, the problem with dual solutions is that devs are jumping on a bandwagon to not optimzie their game for them. So, even if AMD or Nvidia has like a profile for the game, that doesn't mean the dev is going to willingly optimize or even let the game support it. Who was it recently who got crap for this? Wasn't it like WB or whatever? I forgot who it was. As for the nobody, they gave no context then contradicted themselves. It just annoys the hell out of me when people don't buy for the most performance for their budget, but rather a brand name. I've had troubles only with Nvidia, cards, but that doesn't prevent me from buying them, again. That's mostly because of where I got them.

Optimizing price/performance would have everyone buying GT 730s right now. People buy performance, not price/performance. They buy reliability and a brand they trust, not outlandish claims (i.e. the words of Richard Huddy). If everything was so one-dimensional then everyone would be a top notch market analyst.

True, but I don't think those people buy for performance or anything else.  I think they do it for the way the name sounds, conformity, and how it looks.  I meant what performs the best for what they are doing in their budget.  I must be of a rare kinda folk then.

Most people choose the computer with the graphics card that has the most VRAM, or the biggest hard-drive. Sad but true :/ The proportion of people that actually research their new PC is very low, and the people that choose based on an objective metric is even lower.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

really!? just posts above I said I had Radeons for 14years :lol:

I know lol, I was just joking around.

DAC/AMPs:

-snip- (down further-my tablet keeps having its keyboard disappear before crashing).

PMSL

My big issue with AMD is that, up until HBM, AMD was just not keeping up with nVidia in terms of their technology. Sure, they were able to put out cards that could produce similar frame rates, but as each new generation of cards got faster nVidia was able to keep their power consumption and heat output under control, while AMD was just cranking up the clock speed increasing their heat output and power draw as well.

I would love for AMD to do well, but if you were to go look at the overclocked (on air) performance of any competing cards in the lineup today, nVidia will win every single one of those battles. AMD needing two GPUs on a card to compete with the top single GPU offering from nVidia is another example of how their technology is generally lagging behind.

With that being said, I think AMD may have won big with HBM, as they will be licensing it to nVidia to use in their new Pascal cards. Hopefully that will provide them with the extra R&D funding they need to get the rest of their tech competitive.

Actually if a store has no oranges but only apples in the fruit stash you would get them right? Product subsidiaries man.

Let's not forget that AMD sells the same product category (graphic cards) so it's not even a subsidiary! This makes your analogy a false one, a more appropriate one would be: " if you are looking for a specific brand of oranges".

Err... Do you have ANY idea what the word "subsidiary" means? I think you're looking for the word "substitute". If so you're correct in saying that AMD is not an nVidia substitute in terms of economics.

Looks like purchasing these 980's when I did turned out to be a good thing :)

AMD certainly has quite the opportunity here, lets just hope they don't fuck it up aye?