Is computer engineering hard?

IamNewie

So I'm in college right and choose computer engineering as my major course , Thanks to Linus for that !  :D but I'm still a bit scared whether computer engineering will be extremely hard. Can you guys from computer engineering explain what important things I need to learn and focus into in this course? Thanks guys ! Please pray for me on my first semester  :D

you need to do game engerneering or something like that, bcuz than you can work at ea and then you don't have to finish your stuff on time and still release the game :D

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

So I'm in college right and choose computer engineering as my major course , Thanks to Linus for that !  :D but I'm still a bit scared whether computer engineering will be extremely hard. Can you guys from computer engineering explain what important things I need to learn and focus into in this course? Thanks guys ! Please pray for me on my first semester  :D

It's not really the field that makes a course hard. It's whether or not you are dedicated and interested enough to put in enough time and effort for it. Just like for any other course, just set your priorities straight, work hard, and you'll get your degree in no time. Good luck this semester! 

you need to do game engerneering or something like that, bcuz than you can work at ea and then you don't have to finish your stuff on time and still release the game :D

Or work at school, I mean Valve, and spend a couple years learning how to count to three.

Well, it's Engineering. You'll have to be prepared to work hard, and prioritize (work smarter, more efficiently). Actual material difficulty is subjective. Depending on which school you go to, curriculum can be different.

Computer engineering is normally split into Hardware and Software, and you get to specialize in one or the other. Software engineering is just what it sounds like: developing software systems for various applications (different from Computer science, where you develop algorithms and work on other programming related challenges which Software engineers use for their own purposes). Hardware probably focuses on the inner workings of computer hardware (don't quote me on that though, I'm not familiar with most computer engineering curriculum).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You have to work really hard, bud. You can't be a slacker when it comes to this stuff. If you don't understand something, you better make sure you learn it as quick as possible, otherwise you'll always be behind.

You need to have a assumed knowledge in mathematics, physics and information technology.

Not sure how things work outside of Australia though. But in high school, we have classes that cover all these things (like general things) that help you understand the fundamentals when you start. But believe me, it'll get harder beyond belief so you better be prepared to organise your times in order to catch up and learn everything.

I'm in a screwed position myself because I enjoy clubbing too much, and going to music festivals and concerts. I'm behind quite a lot of work and it's not easy to learn engineering content overnight.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

anything can be hard its weather or not you like it alot.

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

You have to work really hard, bud. You can't be a slacker when it comes to this stuff. If you don't understand something, you better make sure you learn it as quick as possible, otherwise you'll always be behind.

You need to have a assumed knowledge in mathematics, physics and information technology.

Not sure how things work outside of Australia though. But in high school, we have classes that cover all these things (like general things) that help you understand the fundamentals when you start. But believe me, it'll get harder beyond belief so you better be prepared to organise your times in order to catch up and learn everything.

I'm in a screwed position myself because I enjoy clubbing too much, and going to music festivals and concerts. I'm behind quite a lot of work and it's not easy to learn engineering content overnight.

Got it !

Got it !

Haha, good luck. Don't slack off, mate. Trust me!

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

From what I understand from the few people I know studying this, it's not as hard as mechanical or electrical engineering, but it's definitely not easy. Just make sure you choose whatever you feel you like most, not what pays most or what your family/friends tell you to. Studying can be boring enough in itself but if you dislike the subject you can't really succeed or find a job you're happy with. Otherwise, if you enjoy the subject and work hard you shouldn't have any major problems.

I'm surprised you would say Mechanical is harder than Computer...

Electrical yes, but all the ME students I know seem to have a relatively easy time compared to other engineering disciplines.

The most difficult and competitive Engineering field I've seen here is Chemical Engineering.

Then again, I'm a CS major and for some reason lumped in with all the Engineers. (we truly are the slackers of the group  :rolleyes: )

Electrical yes, but all the ME students I know seem to have a relatively easy time compared to other engineering disciplines.

Most Mech students will never admit how insane it really is. I did Mechanical Engineering at UBC in Vancouver, and it's a program that has a reputation worldwide. I still have emotional scars from it.

It's a rewarding experience, but most students who go through it won't show signs of how painful it really is.

Mechanical Engineering isn't about difficult content/curriculum though. We learn everything and in acceptable detail: Electrical, Materials, Solid mechanics (backbone of Civil engineering), plenty of Dynamics (Engineering Physics), Biomedical (through specializations), Aerospace (again, through specialization), Computer Engineering (through Electrical courses and Mechatronics specialization) just to name a few. I've known people with Mech degrees who've later gone on to do Master's in Materials simply due to doing a couple of Materials courses in Mech.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Our ME students must be slackers than.  :o

I get thrown into quite a few classes with them just because of how the curriculums are laid out.

Physics, Math, Speech, Writing, and some other random classes(ATH, PHL, SOC) we share in common.

Don't get me wrong, ME is an incredibly deep discipline and I imagine can get very complex but, I just don't see it at the undergrad level.

Oh, our Mechs slacked off in shared Engineering courses too (similar topics as above, Engineering Ethics, Econ, other humanities Electives). So did I, in fact. Logic behind it being those courses are so easy, that it's effortless for most Mechs (they go through much worse). However, it's a completely different story in actual Mech courses.

Our second year program was pretty brutal - though it was not intended, it was a happy coincidence that students who survived it became more efficient in later years.

Any field in computers, is actually very hard.

You HAVE TO love what you are doing to succeed. Because you'll need to motivation, to not only study long period of hours each day, but also even do well in very boring classes, which you will for sure have (usually intro classes.. but everyone is different, and of course depends on the professor).

Computer Engineer -> If you want to do a processors and circuit board. In the actual field, especially when doing processors, you will PROGRAM processors architecture. Each company have their own script language of sort based on some language which will translate. You won't be actually drawing circuit on a paper.. you'll never be done, let alone be huge schematic of unbelievable proportions, especially when it comes to CPU and GPUs. Also, you'll be doing research to some level. But expect the research part to be once you are far more experience in your field (Senior engineer - If you reach that level, then it's for sure you like your field, and won't mind doing it).

Software Engineer/Computer Science -> Circuit board is nice and all, but you need software to do things with them. Software Engineer and Computer Science are identical fields. If a company looks for 'Soft Eng", and you have a 'Comp Sci" degree, they are equivalent, the reverse is true too. One is not better than the other. In your Bachelor degree, Soft Eng will share the same courses than Computer Science. Computer Science has a focus on optimization. Soft Eng has a focus more on being able to adapt on new languages and systems. But in reality, in the work field, you need both to be good. If you make a software for a phone or whatever (Dishwasher even), you need to need know the CPU architecture to know what it's good and terrible at doing, and adapt your thinking process accordingly, and you need to write optimized code.

I am in Computer Science, nearly done my studies, but have work experience for over 3 years, and have made large scale personal projects. A relative of mine is in Computer Engineer doing processors that many of us uses in our computers. So while I can't say exactly how it is, I have a rough idea.

Both opens you doors at being part of making things that changes the world.

What if I love the field, I am genuinely interested in it, but I just can't have enough time to study properly for everything, resulting in having my grades hurt? you ask. A very good question. In University/College there is no race. You don't get any favor in finishing first. Take less courses, finish in an extra year is good way to succeed.

Will my GPA count? It helps for your first job, but many big companies don't care. The reason for this, is that in computers, university/college does NOT prepare you for the work field. It prepares you to be a researcher. Having a good GPA, will allow you to get some favor point form the HR person that will pass through the Resume, filtering them. But the interview process will be face to face with an experienced engineer(s) - interview process depends on the company.

What is more valuable in getting attention in my Resume?

Excellent question. Personal project. While personal project doesn't give you work experience, it give a certain level of points that:

-> You like your field

-> You can do something more complicated than what you do at school (well unless you decide to do a basic calculator, or tic-tac-toe game and alike).

-> You have some level of basic experience in using an IDE software (Visual Studio for example), which will simplify your training and mentoring when you get started or internship.

-> You for sure fall onto issues, which you hopefully learned to correct. For example, you coded a project, it's not done, but you could not continue due to school, then you com back to it, and you don't know where you are and what you were doing, and notice that you are missing important things in your logic, due to a lack of planning, comments on code, and documentation.

I believe my study skills aren't good for university, how can I improve them?

Good question, many university/colleges, especially student focused, have a 0 credit course, in studying. Worth taking it if you have trouble.

Hope this helps in some ways.

i'm in engineering, and it all varies! it really depends on the person as to which part you're adept at, but yes, engineering has many hours, and Is hard!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Well it is hard, can't waste endless amount of time, you need to work hard. My advice, first decide what exactly you want to do as a career, figure out how passionate you are about it and then decide your career course. If you just blindly decide to computer science just because it sounds nice and great, it will not work out well... Almost all professional courses be it engineering/arts/economics or whatever it is you choose it's all about the passion in that field. That's what will carry you through the tough times during your studies... From personal experience, I'm a guy who completed his Computer Science and jumped to Visual Effects and Animation field! I realized a little late that my true passion was towards Visual Effects as a "Career Choice" I love programming, but I did not want that to be my career. Decide what you wanna do in life, what you think you would enjoy doing as a full-fledged career, and go for that field.

Yes any engineering field is hard, some more than others, you need to concentrate a lot in your Computer Science field and whatever you do, concentrate as hard as possible on the Basics and Fundamentals of all your subjects, that will make all the next semester subjects relatively easy to follow and make your understanding of Programming easier. Be completely thorough with all your basics, it will help a LOT!!  

Oh the trick to succeed in Engineering (and Comp Science), is to treat school as if you are working.

Meaning: 7-8h per day focusing on school, and studying. Starting day 1. Expect longer hours  during finals period.

How to fail:

-> Don't study until the last 2 weeks before finals. 2 weeks is not enough. You might be lucky and get a C... but C sucks. People usually fail. The trick is to study day 1, now coming finals, you'll be much MUCH more relaxed, and at the test you'll be much less stress, allowing you to perform much better.

I'm currently majoring in computer engineering, specifically embedded systems (more software related). The other track is hardware design and as the name implies it more about the hardware. Both get to the nitty gritty stuff of what makes computers, the 1's and 0's, work the way they do and shows you how to make them. Its not easy and requires both time and effort to understand the concepts and eventually apply them.

The first thing you'll probably study is programming, make sure you understand the basics as it'll make life easier later on. There is also intro to digital circuits which should show you what computer engineering is all about. If you find the stuff there interesting then perhaps you'll like the track. Don't worry if you don't understand all the material at first, that's normal. You'll also learn about electric circuits in the 2nd year probably, I personally found it the most challenging. Its pretty important though and as its the basis for understanding transistors later down the road.

You'll get the best (rather worst :P ) of both worlds of computer programming & electrical engineering before getting into the world of computer engineering specifically. Just be prepared to pour in the required time, engineering is time consuming as everyone has mentioned.

How to fail:

-> Don't study until the last 2 weeks before finals. 2 weeks is not enough. You might be lucky and get a C... but C sucks. People usually fail. The trick is to study day 1, now coming finals, you'll be much MUCH more relaxed, and at the test you'll be much less stress, allowing you to perform much better.

Unless you're exceptional. I know one guy who barely showed up to lectures with straight As. Personally, I did nothing but required assignments, didn't read texts, only glanced over notes before exams and ended with a high B+/borderline A-. What did help for me was a consistent 10-6 sleep schedule.

That said, constantly review notes before and after each lecture. Helps keep things fresh. Get plenty of sleep. The latter is more important than people assume. "Sleep is for the weak" is absolute garbage.

accept the fact that it's not all fun and games, and could be very very UN-related to the cool stuff that you like about computers now

I started the same - now I'm in the Oil and Gas industry. I never ever thought I would be...(then again, Houston is massive on Oil/Gas)

It will only be hard if you make it hard. You have to be willing to dedicate your life to it when in college and you will have to enjoy it. My thoughts when it comes to school is if you don't enjoy what you're majoring in, its the wrong major.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Gosh now I feel concerned about wanting to be an engineer. I really like computers and the hardware in it and I've been told by several engineers that engineering would fit me, but now I feel somewhat discouraged.