Is computer engineering hard?

IamNewie

Well here the thing, like bob345 essentially saying. It's hard, but you'll be motivated (as you said you are interested), that you'll have no problem studying hard for it. While for sure, like any program you go in, you'll have a couple of classes that you won't like, but the overall you will, as you'll find it interesting.

The thing that you must know, is the reason why its hard, is not because it is hard just because the teacher wants to make it hard. It's hard because you have a lot to learn. At the same time, university will teach you how to think like an engineer, make you ask the right questions, solve problems. That's the hard part... at least for most.

You need dedication, perseverance and motivation. These 3 are the key to succeed in: Engineering, Computer Science, heck.. any science related field, including any medical field. You have those 3, based on what your comments. You just need some encouragement, it looks like :D

Basically, what we are trying to say is that if you go in engineering, there is no more partying around. You'll still have room for 'me time', you can have your 8h sleep every day, including final period. You just have to take university very seriously. It should be like your are working. Let's say you have a classes in the morning, from let's say 9:30 to I don't know.. 12:00, lets say... well many go home and relax, or go out with friends, but what you should be doing instead, is go at the library, even if it's first week of school, and study or at least, get yourself prepared for your classes. Prepare your notes, mark down professor office hours, e-mail, and such (go home if you prefer to study there.. but STUDY!). Like if you were at work. Then you can go home and relax, which you'll have time.

That is what we mean by hard. Well also you need to be good in math, or at least decent in it. But it looks like you have that, else engineering wont' even be on your radar.

But what if I fail?

Fine, I'll give you a secret: College degree in computers is OPTIONAL. It sure will help you A LOT in getting a job, let alone an interview. But computers is still a field in it's early years. My relative told me that at work he knows 2 guys, who are really good at what they are doing, and only have a high school degree. How they did it? Simple, they self thought, did some freelancing work show cashing their skill, and nailed their interview. I mean you can see that it's clear that they work their ass off and have a lot of dedication, but hey it's possible. Bill Gates didn't finish college.

That's what I do, and look how much I am on this forum, always blabbering about stuff, and never shuts up. Plus I work on my own personal project.

People that don't take it as if it was their job, and instead relax, don't care, sometime do parties even... (unless they are exceptional ones), you see are the ones struggling. And again, nothing stops you in taking 1 less courses per semester, if it helps you getting good grades and reduce stress. That is what I do. I am happy with my grades. I sure do a lot better than when I took 5 courses per semester.

I know it's scary at first.. me too I was scared. It was also quiet imposing, starting your first class, in one of those big classes with what it looked like hundred of student. While you saw many drop out during the semester, and eventually smaller classes by the second year, and that's scary.. you start to notice that people that drop out, genuinely had no idea what they initially got into, or their parents pushed them to go into something they didn't like, or go at clubs and party pretty much every day. Then the dust clears out, and you see pretty much a steady number of student, and depending on your field and college, it might feel like high school again, in terms of size. It's not that people got kicked out (ok well, maybe a few, but only a few), most changes programs, because they can't take their studies seriously, they think it's like high school, where you come home and play games on your PC, and such, and not actually studying (or as mentioned, didn't know what they got in).

But you have right now, the ultimate weapon I put that in bold, in case you stop reading by now, to make you wonder what I am talking about. :) But yes you have the ultimate weapon... you know what you are getting into, and you can mentally prepare your self in the possible life style changing period. Making you prepared for college. You know what to do. And you'll start getting A's and B's everywhere...

Any field in computers, is actually very hard.

You HAVE TO love what you are doing to succeed. Because you'll need to motivation, to not only study long period of hours each day, but also even do well in very boring classes, which you will for sure have (usually intro classes.. but everyone is different, and of course depends on the professor).

Computer Engineer -> If you want to do a processors and circuit board. In the actual field, especially when doing processors, you will PROGRAM processors architecture. Each company have their own script language of sort based on some language which will translate. You won't be actually drawing circuit on a paper.. you'll never be done, let alone be huge schematic of unbelievable proportions, especially when it comes to CPU and GPUs. Also, you'll be doing research to some level. But expect the research part to be once you are far more experience in your field (Senior engineer - If you reach that level, then it's for sure you like your field, and won't mind doing it).

Software Engineer/Computer Science -> Circuit board is nice and all, but you need software to do things with them. Software Engineer and Computer Science are identical fields. If a company looks for 'Soft Eng", and you have a 'Comp Sci" degree, they are equivalent, the reverse is true too. One is not better than the other. In your Bachelor degree, Soft Eng will share the same courses than Computer Science. Computer Science has a focus on optimization. Soft Eng has a focus more on being able to adapt on new languages and systems. But in reality, in the work field, you need both to be good. If you make a software for a phone or whatever (Dishwasher even), you need to need know the CPU architecture to know what it's good and terrible at doing, and adapt your thinking process accordingly, and you need to write optimized code.

I am in Computer Science, nearly done my studies, but have work experience for over 3 years, and have made large scale personal projects. A relative of mine is in Computer Engineer doing processors that many of us uses in our computers. So while I can't say exactly how it is, I have a rough idea.

Both opens you doors at being part of making things that changes the world.

What if I love the field, I am genuinely interested in it, but I just can't have enough time to study properly for everything, resulting in having my grades hurt? you ask. A very good question. In University/College there is no race. You don't get any favor in finishing first. Take less courses, finish in an extra year is good way to succeed.

Will my GPA count? It helps for your first job, but many big companies don't care. The reason for this, is that in computers, university/college does NOT prepare you for the work field. It prepares you to be a researcher. Having a good GPA, will allow you to get some favor point form the HR person that will pass through the Resume, filtering them. But the interview process will be face to face with an experienced engineer(s) - interview process depends on the company.

What is more valuable in getting attention in my Resume?

Excellent question. Personal project. While personal project doesn't give you work experience, it give a certain level of points that:

-> You like your field

-> You can do something more complicated than what you do at school (well unless you decide to do a basic calculator, or tic-tac-toe game and alike).

-> You have some level of basic experience in using an IDE software (Visual Studio for example), which will simplify your training and mentoring when you get started or internship.

-> You for sure fall onto issues, which you hopefully learned to correct. For example, you coded a project, it's not done, but you could not continue due to school, then you com back to it, and you don't know where you are and what you were doing, and notice that you are missing important things in your logic, due to a lack of planning, comments on code, and documentation.

I believe my study skills aren't good for university, how can I improve them?

Good question, many university/colleges, especially student focused, have a 0 credit course, in studying. Worth taking it if you have trouble.

Hope this helps in some ways.

Thx man you really helped alot. Back in high school I'm not really good at physics and math, I scored like around 60-70 ish and sometimes higher. But I'm really interested in making my own hardware. 

I'm currently majoring in computer engineering, specifically embedded systems (more software related). The other track is hardware design and as the name implies it more about the hardware. Both get to the nitty gritty stuff of what makes computers, the 1's and 0's, work the way they do and shows you how to make them. Its not easy and requires both time and effort to understand the concepts and eventually apply them.

The first thing you'll probably study is programming, make sure you understand the basics as it'll make life easier later on. There is also intro to digital circuits which should show you what computer engineering is all about. If you find the stuff there interesting then perhaps you'll like the track. Don't worry if you don't understand all the material at first, that's normal. You'll also learn about electric circuits in the 2nd year probably, I personally found it the most challenging. Its pretty important though and as its the basis for understanding transistors later down the road.

You'll get the best (rather worst :P ) of both worlds of computer programming & electrical engineering before getting into the world of computer engineering specifically. Just be prepared to pour in the required time, engineering is time consuming as everyone has mentioned.

Someone told me that in Computer engineering you study both software and hardware but focusing on hardwares and just a little bit on software. In the other hand software engineers focus on studying software , I don't like codings It freaks the hell out of me.I Choose Computer engineering as my major course because I like hardwares , I'm interested in how they work , in how they would affect human's lifestyle. To be honest I'm kinda discouraged by how many people joins Computer engineering in my college , only like 20 people joins computer engineers which is ridiculously small compared to designing class which has 400+. When I asked a seniors why Computer engineer class has such a small amount of students , he said that It's the hardest lesson in the college , the senior I was asking to was currently on Software engineer.

Thx man you really helped alot. Back in high school I'm not really good at physics and math, I scored like around 60-70 ish and sometimes higher. But I'm really interested in making my own hardware.

Do you like or love physics and/or math?

If that's the case, then perhaps your problem is simply that you don't know how to study for it. It is something to look into.

Your weakness in math might be linked to knowledge holes in the field. Perhaps it's best to get a tutoring to not only help you understand math and physics, but also help you go more slowly with you, to really understand what you are ding, what the goal is.

Sometimes, at least for me, I have trouble to be motivated in something that I saw no purpose for. My brother helped me give me examples on where, what I am learning, is applicable, and how useful it might be.

You have to work really hard, bud. You can't be a slacker when it comes to this stuff. If you don't understand something, you better make sure you learn it as quick as possible, otherwise you'll always be behind.

You need to have a assumed knowledge in mathematics, physics and information technology.

Not sure how things work outside of Australia though. But in high school, we have classes that cover all these things (like general things) that help you understand the fundamentals when you start. But believe me, it'll get harder beyond belief so you better be prepared to organise your times in order to catch up and learn everything.

I'm in a screwed position myself because I enjoy clubbing too much, and going to music festivals and concerts. I'm behind quite a lot of work and it's not easy to learn engineering content overnight.

Lucky for me I don't really like going out hanging out with friends unless I really need to. I prefer playing video games at my room.

Do you like or love physics and/or math?

If that's the case, then perhaps your problem is simply that you don't know how to study for it. It is something to look into.

Your weakness in math might be linked to knowledge holes in the field. Perhaps it's best to get a tutoring to not only help you understand math and physics, but also help you go more slowly with you, to really understand what you are ding, what the goal is.

Sometimes, at least for me, I have trouble to be motivated in something that I saw no purpose for. My brother helped me give me examples on where, what I am learning, is applicable, and how useful it might be.

I love maths and physics but sometimes I got confused on problem solvings , my math and physics teacher always says that I made a great job on trying to study hard. But when it comes to prefer math or physics , I prefer more to math. Will there be any statistics involved in computer engineer?

Someone told me that in Computer engineering you study both software and hardware but focusing on hardwares and just a little bit on software. In the other hand software engineers focus on studying software , I don't like codings It freaks the hell out of me.I Choose Computer engineering as my major course because I like hardwares , I'm interested in how they work , in how they would affect human's lifestyle. To be honest I'm kinda discouraged by how many people joins Computer engineering in my college , only like 20 people joins computer engineers which is ridiculously small compared to designing class which has 400+. When I asked a seniors why Computer engineer class has such a small amount of students , he said that It's the hardest lesson in the college , the senior I was asking to was currently on Software engineer.

Sadly, computer engineer will be programming. That's what you'll be doing in the work field.

Seeing code looks complicated, but programming is just a language. I am afraid you'll need to surpass your fear. You can do that by starting to learn easier programming languages, and practice. Do a small cool utility or something. Useful or not really. Do that just for fun. It will help you surpass your fear, I believe.

What I perhaps suggest, is start with a programming language like Flash (Action Script 2.0 (not 3.0, despite being more powerful)) if you are a visual person, or C# is you want to do more executable programs for your compy. If you do C#, look into Windows Forms, to do an interface. Also, C# allows you use a really good IDE environment (the best - Visual Studio - Microsoft knows it's the bets, that is why they charge a ridiculous amount of money per licenses... lucky, as students, we have it for free via MSDNAA aka: DreamSpark (so many free software there!))

Action Script 2.0 and C# is similar to Java and C/C++, so you are not wasting your time leaning those. It prepares you to C/C++.

Now I don't know what is the first programming language you started with. I know many universities/colleges starts with C++, which is in my opinion, a bad place to start, as it's a very old language (based on C), and while extremely powerful, it's very complicated to get started, and that scares off people.

I love maths and physics but sometimes I got confused on problem solvings , my math and physics teacher always says that I made a great job on trying to study hard. But when it comes to prefer math or physics , I prefer more to math. Will there be any statistics involved in computer engineer?

So I think you should do fine... perhaps, it might be best to be part time on the semesters where you have math... in the sense that you take less courses, not go work at the same time, but rather focus more on math, allowing you to get decent grades. Get tutoring as well. But you should seek an academic advisor for the best advice. I am going here with a lot of observation from friends and personal experience. And academic advisor really knows the programs, knows what is required and expected, and there to help you.

You WILL have 1 or 2 statistic class. You'll have statics & probability, together or as separate classes, this is very school dependent. This is useful to measure stuff like failure rates of something. So definitely you'll need that.

This thread is pretty motivational.

Currently working on my Bachelor's in Computer Networking at a university. The way I have my schedule set up is to take two classes every 8 weeks and doing so all year round with the occasional holiday and winter break off. I'm currently doing a lot of gen ed stuff and getting burned out on it to be quite honest. My classes last session were both passed with D's. It was economics (serious PITA) and sociology (didn't do my final paper dropping my grade). I'll be lucky to pass these two English classes that I'm just finishing up now with D's. 

With my current schedule, I'm working 33hrs a week + school full time (two classes). It's super stressful atm for me. Something's gotta give because I can't keep doing this. I really would like to get my degree in 2 years (which I can with my current schedule) but I don't see this holding up much longer unfortunately :(

*sigh*

It would be more refreshing if I could start my actual coursework here pretty soon. If it wasn't for my student loans that I'll have to pay back, I think I'd be dropping out of school. Maybe I'm just going through a rough patch...

Thanks to anyone that actually read that. Felt great to get it off my chest.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

D's?! In many universities that not is a passing grade, hence the term: "Remember C is for credit". I would watch out carefully, D must drop your GPA, and it can't be bellow (well that depends on the university/college) but usually 2.0, where you can either be expel from your program, or if you are lucky, be in probation. For every D's you need an A to bring it back up the way it was.

I would speak to an academic advisor, about your performance, and see what options you have.

Work + School is VERY hard. Not many can pull this off, and doing, what I would assume, not motivation topics (forced electives), does help either as you can see.

Have you looked into contacting schools for IT work, or small companies. Usually they are the most understanding, and will allow you to not come to work due to an exam or term paper. I worked as IT at a college (not as a student work, but really an IT). I was very flexible in my hours, and when I skip work, my boss and everyone was very understandable, and didn't mark me down in any way.. (beside not being paid, of course). I mean they knew I was at University when they hired me, and this possibility of me skipping some days, that was all discussed before being hired. So it was agreed and expected.

In addition, I had unofficial time at work to study. Basically, during the school semester it's more tech support, over installing or upgrading classrooms (that's summer time, where the big rush is). So it's pretty much, wait for the phone to ring, and get to people offices, with a smile, respect, professional, ready to help, and a bit of PR sometimes, when they are complaints. If you wonder about how to set it up? Well they are different way. They could pay you hourly, or treat you as a contracted consultant. You do the work, you send an invoice to your boss, you get paid. That is how you get that level of flexibility. Unless it's explicitly mentioned on your contract about day offs, contracts kinda forces you to do your hours.

Yeah, there'll be statistics but it isn't to an extent where it's difficult. It's annoying but it's not that bad (for me anyway).

By the way, you should check out your college's website for information about the course to have a better idea. My university has like a outline of what I'll be doing which helps me out a little. (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Majors/UGMajor/Computer+Engineering) That's my university but it's Australian though so things will definitely differ but should give you a nice idea of what to expect.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Yeah, there'll be statistics but it isn't to an extent where it's difficult. It's annoying but it's not that bad (for me anyway).

By the way, you should check out your college's website for information about the course to have a better idea. My university has like a outline of what I'll be doing which helps me out a little. (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Majors/UGMajor/Computer+Engineering) That's my university but it's Australian though so things will definitely differ but should give you a nice idea of what to expect.

thx man