Hardware for 50 new builds at work.

cragger89

Just taken delivery of the next load of hardware for the replacement PCs which are due to be upgraded at the College I do IT support for.

Samsung SM951 m.2 SSD (120GB)

Core i3 1151 6100 CPUs

Hyperx Fury DDR 4 8GB

Gigabyte H170M-D3H

XFX XPS-430W PSU

Coolermaster Glite 342 Cases.

Not top of the range, but I am keen to have a play with Skylake, even if it is at the low end.

23593326260_999e5098f2_b.jpg

23593323220_54172d4cf3_b.jpg

23780710102_e36c3b4714_b.jpg

23593324880_863db4d6e4_b.jpg

23889050185_4fb43a7a9c_b.jpg

23889072005_5c27c7e6ed_b.jpg

Now to add it all to inventory!

Christmas came early 

Rollouts have gotta be fun

that;s pretty crazy

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You sat this guys, but its like Linus says - when it is your job, it is your job.

It is cool that we're somewhat allowed to stay up to date hardware wise, though. I'm glad we don't have to cheap out on everything in this day and age.

You sat this guys, but its like Linus says - when it is your job, it is your job.

It is cool that we're somewhat allowed to stay up to date hardware wise, though. I'm glad we don't have to cheap out on everything in this day and age.

Meanwhile we have devil canyon i5s with 8gbs of ram on a 32 bit os.

you sir are a baller

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

want to have a delivery like that too ;)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

And now figure out to put the 50 SSDs in raind 0 and benchmark them. Just for fun ;)

(I know it's not possible)

Exactly what one of my colleagues just said. Lol.

Inventory is fun. 50 pieces of each component to be scanned in - thankfully the SSDs and the CPUs are easy to do - cases, PSUs and motherboards, less so.

Grr.

I'm jelly, last year my school "upgraded" to old 2nd gen downclocked i3's with nice i5 stickers on it. Also they have 4GB of ram, 32 bit windows 7 and every piece of data is stored on a small, slow server (everyone has ~250MB to save data on and the read/write speed is around 10MB/s)

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

We recently upgraded our storage setup to be a fast SAN, but I don't know the specs of it all.As stuff is upgraded now that I've been here a year, I'll have more to do with it. The big upgrades made server side were already done by the time I joined the team last October.

We get read/writes of over 100MB, but that is starting to feel slow now. The storage although perfectly adequate in terms of size is wasted by tutors keeping backup copies of DVDs/movies of an Educational nature, on the same server, but they believe them to be "different" drives because they are mapped with different letters. We do what we can to educate, but it sometimes falls on deaf ears.

Doing work in an educational environment is good experience and it forces you to understand why things are not as cutting edge as you would like them to be, especially at an Elementary or Primary/High or Secondary level. No one uses any of the hardware here and exclaims about how positive the performance is, even the Skylake/DDR 4 rigs will be really all that appreciated. As long as the stuff is reliable enough to get your work done, that is the most important thing to accomplish. We need our builds to last at least 5 years, so since SSDs were available in the 70-100 £ range, all the builds have been i3 based, with a 64GB Crucial SSD(to begin with) or 128GB Samsung Evo 830/840/850 SATA SSD drive.

The gaming rigs are the same hardware but with HD7850, R9 270 or R9 270X GPUs installed. All screens are 1080p, so not much power is required, although more is always better. We don't go beyond the i3 CPU because they are good enough to get done what needs to be done. You don't need full eye candy and so on to learn how to create a game, but the students still moan.

Isn't that rather big case? I would have gone for thinner one since you are building them by hand anyway. I know our uni gets systems from distributer so they use ATX/mATX cases (some need also beefier GPUs because 3D modelling and GIS).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Isn't that rather big case? I would have gone for thinner one since you are building them by hand anyway. I know our uni gets systems from distributer so they use ATX/mATX cases (some need also beefier GPUs because 3D modelling and GIS).

It was ordered because it is a recognisable brand and is cheap. I'd like to go Mini ITX personally, but it does cost more once the relevant PSU is factored in, etc.

Look at all that wam!

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Ehh At my workplace due to the numbers + warranty costs we just go with prebuilds and if needed get a larger SSD to pop in.

Although I do occasionally get to play with some new server hardware (mostly all dual XEONS)

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Might you want to share some love to a beginner and his dreams? 

Mods, have noticed this has been moved - this isn't really a build log...?? I really don't get why this has been moved here.

Edit: I think it was moved because it fits closest with this sub-forum (i.e you have some shots of installing components.)

HTH