Why did microsoft skip windows 9?

Davidf4e

is there any real reason or just some of the "odd" business practices 

Probably because they considered Windows 8.1 to be Windows 9.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

i think its because windows 10 is going to be the last one and ending on 10 is fair and not odd... as 9. that is what i think!  ^_^

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

there arent any more windows "versions" coming out after windows 10 so they wanted it to be a nice number, not like 9 :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

is there any real reason or just some of the "odd" business practices 

Coders add in legacy parts into their programs for windows 95 and Windows 98. The code segment just has to test if the OS name contains "Windows 9". Windows 9 being release would make programs run in legacy mode with way limited functionality. To solve this, they did Windows 10. 

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

IUEiPJb.png

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You know, considering their weird numbering system for consoles (Xbox 360 obviously named so to compete with the PS3, with the logic that 'Xbox 2' would sound inferior to customers), I could see the actual reason being that they wanted to just finally "compete" with OSX.

I've given up trying to figure out what MS is thinking when naming their products.

EDIT: Well I guess the above posts are as good a reason as any.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Nobody really knows apart from Microsoft themselves, but some common reasons that are speculated are

1. Microsoft wanted to make sure that it wasn't closely linked to Windows 8
  2. As @Kevin_Walter said, they counted Win8.1 as Windows 9
  3. Apple called their operating system OS X and it's worked out for them, so Microsoft copied them
  4. because 7 8 9? :P

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

The real reason is a marketing trick, it makes 7 and 8 seem older than they actually are, all marketing is psychological manipulation (they could have fixed the windows 98/95 thing behind the scenes)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

heres why

windows-10-skipped-9-reddit-95.jpg

As insane as that hack sounds, it’s feasible that there are still plenty of legacy Desktop apps that use this method (or something similar) to check for Windows 95 or 98. Bear in mind that this is just an example piece of code — some developers will check for the OS name (“Windows…”), some will check for the version number (as discussed in the previous section of this story), and some may use other methods entirely to find out what OS the app is running on.

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Short version: Because 7 8 9.

Long version: Because it would disrupt legacy programs for Windows 95 and 98. A lot of legacy programs use this bit of code to check for your OS.

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")){ /* 95 and 98 */} else {

If Microsoft implemented Windows 9, it would disrupt this code and cause many legacy programs to be unusable.

I'm unsure why they just didn't call it, "Windows" with the removal of new iterations of the OS ceasing from this point on.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

last one?? no more OS?

They are just going to release new updates for Windows 10. No more new names.

last one?? no more OS?

yes, w10 is the last windows version, updates only from now on.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

because they were afraid of 7 eating 9...

I'm funny, damn it!

ASU

Because windows 8 was such a miserable fail they had to have a number gap between the two just so people forget about it

there arent any more windows "versions" coming out after windows 10 so they wanted it to be a nice number, not like 9 :P

windows 10 is the last one?

Because windows 8 was such a miserable fail they had to have a number gap between the two just so people forget about it

it wasn't. The only reason w8 was a fail is because people hate change. It wasn't miserable at all.

Spoiler

they could have fixed the windows 98/95 thing behind the scenes

no... they couldn't. This was a problem with third party apps, meaning the MS devs have no control over it.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

The real reason is a marketing trick, it makes 7 and 8 seem older than they actually are, all marketing is psychological manipulation (they could have fixed the windows 98/95 thing behind the scenes)

I doubt they could go into every piece third-party software that used the code string and fixed it.